Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I missed a thread about this device, but I would like to let you know what I have been able to do with it so far.

I recently did my own Brakes, and oil change and was able to reset the service "light" for the oil change.

Besides the OBD scanning the menu has the cabability to do the following.

Oil lamp reset It asks you for a date when you go to reset I imagine the ECU automatically does a year from the date you enter.
Brake Reset ( the first option in the brake reset gave me an error but I was able to move the parking brake to the install position using the second option)
ETCS Reset ( I don't know what this is so I didnt touch it) I think it resets the PDK calibration or whatever
Steering Angle reset ( same as above).
DPF reset. (don't know what this does).

I purchased the device off of Amazon for $150.00 , but it's available in many places. Make sure that you download the latest software onto the card ( it's a microSD card.).

I recently started another company so I don't have a lot of time to go through everything, but I wanted to report back that it did work for the Oil change reset, and the brakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What vehicle was you using it on? Year and Model

I apolgize for not putting that in my original post.

Its' a MY 2015 Macan S

Someone on the Amazon reviews mentioned it working with a MY 2017 Turbo, which pushed me to order it and try it.

Here is their review here. [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2KUE36I8OEEIE/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B011DKBXBK[/ame]

"**** WORKS WITH 2017 PORSCHE MACAN TURBO!! ****
ByBroham Dingleberryon September 14, 2017
Size: POR II|Verified Purchase
I received a check engine light (basically tells you the car is ok to drive but take the car to the workshop) after our 5,300 mile Turbo Macan blew the intake boot off. Not wanting to take the car into the $tealership even though the car is under warranty, I decided to look into a home diagnostic tool to help with repairs along the way since we own the car outright. We also have a 991 Turbo S in the family so this would be helpful when that car needs troubleshooting or oil/maintenance service resets.

Now onto the unit. It all came well packaged in a sturdy cardboard box. Inside the box, you will find a zippered carry case which houses the iCarsoft POR-II scanner tool, manual, OBD2 cable, USB micro-B cable, and a USB TF card reader. The quality of the unit is pretty darn good for what it is but don't expect German or Japanese precision here. For its intent and purposes, the quality is just fine for its price point.

First thing's first if you decide to buy this unit; RTFM!! For those of you who don't know what the heck that means, it means "READ THE EFFING MANUAL"! I don't know how many idiots I have seen over the years complain and bash a product because they were too stupid to learn how to use the tool at hand. Basically, you want to update the diagnostic tool to the latest software/firmware so that it is equipped with the latest definitions and codes for your vehicle. The website also has a step-by-step video that shows you how to download and install the tool needed to update to the latest firmware.

Usage: It is fairly easy to navigate through the menus. Unless you are electronics and common-sense illiterate, you shouldn't need to reference the manual for basic usage. I was able to read and then clear the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) code with ease. Money well spent!"

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thank you for being the first one to take the leap and use this. Could you give us some more details about the error you got changing the brakes and how you were able to reset the parking brake? Was that an error on the OBD reader or on the Macan dashboard?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a bit of difficulty trusting a review by a guy named Broham Dingleberry.... First info I've seen that this device works on a '17.

Someone on the Amazon reviews mentioned it working with a MY 2017 Turbo, which pushed me to order it and try it.

Here is their review here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2KUE36I8OEEIE/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B011DKBXBK

"**** WORKS WITH 2017 PORSCHE MACAN TURBO!! ****
ByBroham Dingleberryon September 14, 2017
S

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a bit of difficulty trusting a review by a guy named Broham Dingleberry.... First info I've seen that this device works on a '17.
That’s funny and I had just put it into my amazon order basket. Now what to do?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I could care less about the reviewer's name, but I would point out 23% of the reviewers on Amazon gave this only one star. And there was a report from a Cayman owner who used one of the Foxwell tools similar to this, and now his Sport button no longer works. So I wonder how well these tools have been tested.

I would just point out there seems to be some real risk beyond it simply not working, although admittedly it does seem to be working for many.

Of course there are questions on Durametric's cable too. It works on my '16 Turbo and Lippy's '17 S, but yet Durametric's official position seems to still be that post MY15 Macans are not supported yet. I assume they are still testing. But at least with Durametric, they have a long history with Porsche, and with all the years of my being active on Renntech I don't recall anyone ever suffering unintentional consequences of using a Durametric cable on their Porsche.

·
Registered
89 Posts
And there was a report from a Cayman owner who used one of the Foxwell tools similar to this, and now his Sport button no longer works. So I wonder how well these tools have been tested.

I would just point out there seems to be some real risk beyond it simply not working, although admittedly it does seem to be working for many.

Of course there are questions on Durametric's cable too.
I don't disagree. I don't have a problem buying a Durametric (which will work for my Cayman as well). Unfortunately, I also have to buy a PC laptop since we don't have one in our household. Since I would have no other use for one, it would ONLY be for the Durametric software. Not the end of the world, just annoying not to have another good option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't disagree. I don't have a problem buying a Durametric (which will work for my Cayman as well). Unfortunately, I also have to buy a PC laptop since we don't have one in our household. Since I would have no other use for one, it would ONLY be for the Durametric software. Not the end of the world, just annoying not to have another good option.
My problem with the durametric is, that it doesn't do the brakes, while the Icarsoft will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for being the first one to take the leap and use this. Could you give us some more details about the error you got changing the brakes and how you were able to reset the parking brake? Was that an error on the OBD reader or on the Macan dashboard?
The Error was during resetting the brake nag. It may have been because the sensor on the front wheel was still open. Its easily released the rear parking brake for reinstallation, and afterwords it put the brake into its normal position. This alone is worth the purchase price for me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Anyone has experience with this tool to reset the oil change for Macan? I read that it could do the job, but I want to know that someone has actually use it for the oil change. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
To follow up... I reset the 10k and 20k service reminders on our 2017 Macan S today with the Icarsoft PorII. Easy. I did the software update first.

Also worked on my 981 Cayman, so I’m happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Successfully reset maintenance reminder

I also had success with the iCarsoft POR II tool on my 2016 Macan S. After changing the oil myself @ 10585 miles, I plugged in the tool and reset the intermediate service reminder.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
To follow up... I reset the 10k and 20k service reminders on our 2017 Macan S today with the Icarsoft PorII. Easy. I did the software update first.

Thank you very much for the info. I had planned to purchase this in late 2017 and have put it in my "wish list" at Amazon. I will buy it in May when I do my oil change. Good to know that it works on rear brakes also. Now, if it works on tranny fluid change, I will be thrilled!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've used this on my 997 911S to reset airbag light, and on my 17 Macan GTS to reset service interval light. Both time it worked like a charm w/o any issues. IMO well worth the price for simple resets of lights, DIY oil change/brakes etc

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yesterday 4th may 2018
I have tested Icarsoft cr plus on my macan S 3/2016 . It doesn’t work it doesn’t communicate with the car just error message when trying to open rear caliper.Do not buy it is useless

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. I had planned to purchase this in late 2017 and have put it in my "wish list" at Amazon. I will buy it in May when I do my oil change. Good to know that it works on rear brakes also. Now, if it works on tranny fluid change, I will be thrilled!

Can the iCarsoft unit update be completed on a Mac?

I watched the update video which was completed on a PC - has anyone successfully performed the s/w update
on a Mac device?

Thx!

;)

1 - 20 of 121 Posts