Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have voiced many times that I hate cold weather and most people detest the heat and humidity of a Florida summer . I am an exception.

Not everything is perfect with summer . At the top of the list is hurricane potential . However even a negative thing like humidity has benefits . It softens the skin and people do wear lighter clothing . Light clothing even has benefits . It's an excuse not to have to get dressed up . It also seems to awaken the self consciousness of working out and looking and feeling better. It's obvious why Sports Illustrated chose Miami to hold swimsuit auditions . I didn't go .In fact its near to where I live and I have never gone . Next year I am going !!

There's also the beach !! Did you know that in Miami at 6 PM its still upper 80's and sunny ? In short a person can go to the beach after work and still feel like a vacation . In January it's dark at 6 and much cooler . Summer has the real deal !! Even there rates are cheap in the summer yet the tourists mostly come in the winter .

I mentioned hurricanes but there are other downsides . The heat and humidity do choke a cars turbos . So the cars drive slower in this climate compared to the cool and dry . It's not that big of a deal to dislike summer .

An upside is that traffic is less . Since schools are closed and tourists are light .. rush hour is less congested . Summer here is very relaxed.

So if you are loving your summer where you live this is the thread to share why.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
My favorite things about summer are the early sunrises, late sunsets, being able to put the top down on the convertible, and leaving the windows in the house open to let the fresh air in (at least until it gets so hot it’s time to turn on the air-conditioning).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I live in the Adirondack mountains of NY. Cool at night, very rarely need AC but beach and lakes are hot in the day. Cars do run better in the cooler temps for sure. BUT winters are brutal !! I like the FLA idea more and more as I get older.
I often drive south and agree about all the off season being a better time to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In western PA, I view summer as May to late Sep, early Oct.

I love working outside. Early Summer, wash/wax cars and then start on outdoor projects. So far this year, I've redesigned my wife's flower garden - building two retaining walls and maintenance on a third. Painted our back handrail. I had my front and side lawns excavated and replanted in March, I've spent a lot of time working the new lawn. Starting this weekend I begin work on my bamboo fence. Frankly, I short cut the construction seven years ago and now I have to replace all posts and backing boards.

Cocktail hours start at 4:00 PM on Friday & Saturdays, either on our front porch or on our deck around the firepit.

Life is good.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Well, as you all know, summers in Texas can be a bit much! But, since we put in the pool, late afternoons and early evenings are really okay since the we have tall trees casting shadows over half the pool. It’s actually quite relaxing even though it’s 100+ outside! The kids obviously love it as well. Texas backyard living at its best... lol.

My wife and I love South Beach... I never thought I’d move to Florida, but the older I get, the more appealing it is. We were looking at real-estate down in Siesta Key last week.

My cousin is a pool builder here in DFW... he did the job for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I work in NYC but live across the river in Jersey City. Summer has been great so far, even the heat wave was not too bad.
Speaking of Florida we visited a friend in Orlando. For 800k he lives in a mansion in one of the best neighborhoods, while that money barely gets me a 2br condo out here!
I'm thinking a move south is in order, though I'm not sure if I could deal with the fire ants and other nasty bugs all year.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
My ideal would be northeast or west (west as in Montana, Idaho, Utah) in the spring, summer and fall, and down south in the winter.

As we age, slips and falls are an ever present danger, especially when it's icy out. It's almost unavoidable in winter here in NY.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I love Summer too!

And when my wife and I retire, we're moving down South!

·
Registered
610 Posts
My ideal would be northeast or west (west as in Montana, Idaho, Utah) in the spring, summer and fall, and down south in the winter.

As we age, slips and falls are an ever present danger, especially when it's icy out. It's almost unavoidable in winter here in NY.
I was just thinking about this last week.... my parents joined us on vacation down in Florida, and could hardly take the heat/humidity. They swear up and down about living where it’s cold (such as upstate NY where they both are from)... or somewhere in the mountains... and I’m constantly saying to myself “YOU TWO CAN BARELY WALK AROUND ON DRY PAVEMENT!! HOW ARE GOING TO GET AROUND IN SNOW AND ICE WITHOUT INJURY?!!” Unfortunately - it’s a real issue as we get older... especially those of us with a bad back.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I have voiced many times that I hate cold weather and most people detest the heat and humidity of a Florida summer . I am an exception.

Not everything is perfect with summer . At the top of the list is hurricane potential . However even a negative thing like humidity has benefits . It softens the skin and people do wear lighter clothing . Light clothing even has benefits . It's an excuse not to have to get dressed up . It also seems to awaken the self consciousness of working out and looking and feeling better. It's obvious why Sports Illustrated chose Miami to hold swimsuit auditions . I didn't go .In fact its near to where I live and I have never gone . Next year I am going !!

There's also the beach !! Did you know that in Miami at 6 PM its still upper 80's and sunny ? In short a person can go to the beach after work and still feel like a vacation . In January it's dark at 6 and much cooler . Summer has the real deal !! Even there rates are cheap in the summer yet the tourists mostly come in the winter .

I mentioned hurricanes but there are other downsides . The heat and humidity do choke a cars turbos . So the cars drive slower in this climate compared to the cool and dry . It's not that big of a deal to dislike summer .

An upside is that traffic is less . Since schools are closed and tourists are light .. rush hour is less congested . Summer here is very relaxed.

So if you are loving your summer where you live this is the thread to share why.
Born and raised in the Orlando/Winter Park area but have lived in several other states, now live in Jacksonville. I hate the humidity!

The one thing you failed to mention is that in summer the women wear less/lighter clothing, (almost) always a plus.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, as you all know, summers in Texas can be a bit much! But, since we put in the pool, late afternoons and early evenings are really okay since the we have tall trees casting shadows over half the pool. It’s actually quite relaxing even though it’s 100+ outside! The kids obviously love it as well. Texas backyard living at its best... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's really funny but I have a really nice home pool but I never use it . Being a swimmer (former competitive) I need an Olympic sized pool to feel like I am swimming . Every month I pay to maintain it . I think I used it 5 times in the 30 years of living at my house .

I love South Beach . Some nice condos are on Belle Isle .They are not outrageous in price . With a home it is an evacuation area . In fact most beach areas do face hurricane evacuation as a prep .

My next door neighbor loves going to Siesta Key each year as a family trip with his adult children and grandchildren . I've never been . I tend to pick Sanibel/Captiva as my go to family type of spot . It's beautiful but don't even look at property there . It's insane expensive.

BTW .. This is where I swim every day .

Attachments

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I work in NYC but live across the river in Jersey City. Summer has been great so far, even the heat wave was not too bad.
Speaking of Florida we visited a friend in Orlando. For 800k he lives in a mansion in one of the best neighborhoods, while that money barely gets me a 2br condo out here!
I'm thinking a move south is in order, though I'm not sure if I could deal with the fire ants and other nasty bugs all year.
I used to spend a lot of time in Orlando . I only have one family member left who lives there . Real estate is very reasonable . Most of the activity does center around Disney and tourism yet it does have a nice city and great outlet shops . It is significantly less expensive than Miami /Ft Lauderdale and not as hectic .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts