41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Macan GTS
45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The article is totally bogus, full of misleading statements and flawed conclusions.

First of all the claim the Sportage "killed" the Macan is hardly true. Funny how the author never mentions just how much lower the Sportage rating was.

Next, as a long term (several decades) CR subscriber, I'm fully aware one cannot compare scores from one automobile segment to another. The author obviously has no idea about this. What the author is suggesting would be like comparing the CR ratings for winter tires versus summer tires. The segments are just not comparable.

Finally, CR ratings are generally only useful as a screening tool at most because everyone has different priorities. The rating schemes are by necessity totally subjective because it's just impossible to be objective for the most part.

To really use CR (same with Car and Driver, Motor Trend etc.) ratings, one needs to dig into the data and place your own priorities on the rating factors based on what's important to you. For example, let's say CR gives one car more points because it has a roomier back seat. But if you never use your back seat, that's pretty much meaningless to you.

If I wanted to I could come up with a rating scheme that would rate a Yugo higher than a Macan.

Where CR ratings are meaningful is reliability. I participate yearly in their surveys and find them to be, well, reliable. This is something one never gets from the car mags as they rarely have long term experimce with a vehicle. For them, the cost of ownership is zero.

One can also count on CR for factual matters. A vehicle has a spare tire or not. A vehicle has ApplePlay or not. Beyond that, they are just another voice.

But if there were only one mag I’d read, it would be CR.

My favorite automotive writer is Dan Neil of the Wall St. Journal. But I’d never buy a car based on his reviews.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you mean i could get a car with more space for less money?

It's been over a decade since I looked to CR for any advice. Their testing and advice reads like fluff.

As far as car reviews go, they jumped the shark with their histrionic review proclaiming the historic Tesla Model S the greatest car in the history of car history.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As far as car reviews go, they jumped the shark with their histrionic review proclaiming the historic Tesla Model S the greatest car in the history of car history.
That’s nothing but a blatant lie. Amazing how some people come on this forum and make totally ridiculous baseless claims.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have to take the other side of the Suzuki Samurai viewpoint. I was in college when the Samurai was a new and popular car. It already had the tainted reputation when one of my good friends got one from his parents (hmm, now wait a minute...). We went off road a lot in that thing I every time we did I expected it to roll over but it never came close. And he drove that thing like it belonged to his ex wife's attorney.

Not saying they aren't less stable because you don't need many firing synapses to see it is tall with a high center of gravity, but easily prone to rolling? My opinion is that it wasn't more prone to rolling than any jeep type vehicle. And I say that as a guy who rolled an International Scout on a fairly straight road (being 17 and dumb) - which is why it was especially noteworthy to me when a couple of years later I was riding in that Samurai and it didn't. That friend put almost 200k miles on that thing, a lot of it delivering pizza in treacherous weather.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
I thought the CR article was amusing. Now, I have found some words of stupidity on another level all together. For your amusement I present the following:
This thing is a dog. I absolutely hate those transmissions that operate like a top.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts