Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
The Macan is definitely not for the mass.

·
Registered
2021 Volcano Grey Macan GTS
18 Posts

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
There are people who will agree with the article . They are not car people . They dont understand enthusiast driving . I once had a guy in his 70's say to me "I once bought a sports car , It was an Acura Legend ."

Every once in awhile (pre Covid) I let one of those guys drive one of my cars . Most recently a few years back I let a guy with a Subaru Forrester drive my former Macan Turbo . He loved it !!! I let a guy with an older Honda V6 coupe drive my firmer 981 Boxster S manual . He did well driving it and since then was searching for a 30K 996 . Some of them just never did it before . A few dont even care to try . I had one woman ( a childhood friend) tell me she is "glad I have a car to get me around but have no desire to drive a performance car."

These are Kia Sportage candidates .

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
The article is totally bogus, full of misleading statements and flawed conclusions.

First of all the claim the Sportage "killed" the Macan is hardly true. Funny how the author never mentions just how much lower the Sportage rating was.

Next, as a long term (several decades) CR subscriber, I'm fully aware one cannot compare scores from one automobile segment to another. The author obviously has no idea about this. What the author is suggesting would be like comparing the CR ratings for winter tires versus summer tires. The segments are just not comparable.

Finally, CR ratings are generally only useful as a screening tool at most because everyone has different priorities. The rating schemes are by necessity totally subjective because it's just impossible to be objective for the most part.

To really use CR (same with Car and Driver, Motor Trend etc.) ratings, one needs to dig into the data and place your own priorities on the rating factors based on what's important to you. For example, let's say CR gives one car more points because it has a roomier back seat. But if you never use your back seat, that's pretty much meaningless to you.

If I wanted to I could come up with a rating scheme that would rate a Yugo higher than a Macan.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stupid article. Classic clickbait. It’s akin to saying the Corvette is a better sports car than an Aston Martin Vantage because it’s faster and cheaper.
Different cars for different drivers, different markets and different pocket books.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
The article is totally bogus, full of misleading statements and flawed conclusions.

First of all the claim the Sportage "killed" the Macan is hardly true. Funny how the author never mentions just how much lower the Sportage rating was.

Next, as a long term (several decades) CR subscriber, I'm fully aware one cannot compare scores from one automobile segment to another. The author obviously has no idea about this. What the author is suggesting would be like comparing the CR ratings for winter tires versus summer tires. The segments are just not comparable.

Finally, CR ratings are generally only useful as a screening tool at most because everyone has different priorities. The rating schemes are by necessity totally subjective because it's just impossible to be objective for the most part.

To really use CR (same with Car and Driver, Motor Trend etc.) ratings, one needs to dig into the data and place your own priorities on the rating factors based on what's important to you. For example, let's say CR gives one car more points because it has a roomier back seat. But if you never use your back seat, that's pretty much meaningless to you.

If I wanted to I could come up with a rating scheme that would rate a Yugo higher than a Macan.

Again, as a multi decade subscriber, not trying to knock CR.

But one needs to understand their point of view, which is as a "consumer". So they tend to look at vehicles as appliances. Nothing wrong with that as there are likely more people that do that than there are enthusiasts.

But if your priorities are different than the average consumer, you need to translate what CR is saying to your priorities.

Even though I tend to have more of an enthusiast perspective, I've still always valued what CR has to say about cars.

My own guess is their "consumer" perspective is in alignment with their overall mission. But if you watch some of their automotive blogs you will quickly realize that at least some of their automotive testing staff are car enthusiasts similar to many of the forum members here.

Reactions: JRB

·
Registered
122 Posts
Again, as a multi decade subscriber, not trying to knock CR.

But one needs to understand their point of view, which is as a "consumer". So they tend to look at vehicles as appliances. Nothing wrong with that as there are likely more people that do that than there are enthusiasts.

But if your priorities are different than the average consumer, you need to translate what CR is saying to your priorities.

Even though I tend to have more of an enthusiast perspective, I've still always valued what CR has to say about cars.

My own guess is their "consumer" perspective is in alignment with their overall mission. But if you watch some of their automotive blogs you will quickly realize that at least some of their automotive testing staff are car enthusiasts similar to many of the forum members here.
It is unfortunate that CRs ratings are often misused. I have also observed people who will just simply buy the highest rated item without reading the narrative and completely miss out on the fact that a lower rated item almost certainly fits their needs better.

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
CR is more catered to regular consumers. C&D is kinda the opposite.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Let's not forget the auto mags can be wrong too. Never will forget Motortrend calling 1997 Chevy Malibu the car of the year

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lucky for me my wife is always saying "A car is car, I don't understand it", and it has saved me so much money as she happily drives a Mazda 3. This has made it much easier for me to scratch my Porsche itch. When Mazda dies it will be a simple, safe, electric for her and I will continue my search for late-80s 911. Cheers

·
Registered
16' Macan Turbo | Jet Black Metallic | 20
17 Posts
Its consumer reports they are the last people i'd look to advise me on any auto purchase. The kia is hideous and shouldn't ever be compared to the Porsche its like comparing an Eames chair to a IKEA chair. I'm sure it serves a purpose but not to anyone looking for a Porsche SUV and the fact they bothered to make the comparioson at all shows that CR is a joke. my $0.02

·
Registered
16' Macan Turbo | Jet Black Metallic | 20
17 Posts
Lucky for me my wife is always saying "A car is car, I don't understand it", and it has saved me so much money as she happily drives a Mazda 3. This has made it much easier for me to scratch my Porsche itch. When Mazda dies it will be a simple, safe, electric for her and I will continue my search for late-80s 911. Cheers
Exactly,Its that simple you either get it, or you don't....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Its consumer reports they are the last people i'd look to advise me on any auto purchase. The kia is hideous and shouldn't ever be compared to the Porsche its like comparing an Eames chair to a IKEA chair. I'm sure it serves a purpose but not to anyone looking for a Porsche SUV and the fact they bothered to make the comparioson at all shows that CR is a joke. my $0.02
The fact is CR never compared the Macan to the Kia. The article is total nonsense and as someone else said it’s nothing but complete clickbait.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The magazine accused of slandering car companies over the years writes a clickbait review?

·
Registered
424 Posts
CR was accused of slandering car companies?
Suzuki Samurai, Isuzu Trooper, Lexus GX are the worst examples of their “journalism.”

1 - 20 of 49 Posts