Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I’m quartined, I have time to post this. On Jan 3, 2020 I was coming home from my SIL birthday dinner, my sister was with me. I had just bought 5 days before, a 2018 service loaner Macan from a Houston dealer. It was just before 9 pm and I was crossing a river on a concrete bridge with road improvements being done. I look and can’t believe headlights are coming straight at me. Solid lane of traffic on the opposite side of the road. My first reaction is to turn quickly to avoid. He clipped me on the front driver headlamp, I hit the concrete barrier on the passenger rear which turned me in to a spin and he hit me again on my rear axle. Still spinning in to the other lane of traffic I hit the concrete barrier on the other side which stopped me. He then hit the car behind me head on. While in the spin, I could feel airbags coming out everywhere. In the end, 7 of the 8 deployed. But I can tell you I remember not moving 1” inch during that crash. I was so protected. When it all came to a halt, my sister and I were the only 2 that got out by ourselves. He and the other driver were cut out of their vehicles. They received multiple injuries. Yes, he was drunk and drug toxicology has not come back yet. He was under insured so guess who’s insurance picked up the bill for mine they did me right and Feb 10, I drove to Oklahoma City to pick up a Miami Blue one I honestly like it better with the RS wheels, but this one did its job
C04EC461-EC0B-4A21-B3A7-E91E82D014A8.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I am happy to hear you and your sis are okay and that your car kept you protected. What a waste and mess. People who drive intoxicated are a pox on society.
I agree. I’ve had to work through some PTSD on this one, but about there. Driving at night is still a little scary but I’m forcing myself. The guy behind me in the mustang is 23. He had 2 compound fractures of his leg and had to go through surgery. Facing another one when the virus thing goes away. He’s a good kid too. He was involved with jujitsu fighting so that’s probably a no go, and was about to join the fire academy. I’m angry at what that POS has cost everybody. I have to remind myself we are all still here and blessed. No sense in it. Uber is easy!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
That Macan did its job. It gave it's life for you and your sister. Glad you were not hurt and I hope the young man in the Mustang comes out OK. This is what personal injury lawyers are for. I would sue the drunk driver and if nothing else get a gigantic judgment against him in the event he ever owns anything. No mercy for those fools.

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
I could feel airbags coming out everywhere. In the end, 7 of the 8 deployed. But I can tell you I remember not moving 1” inch during that crash. I was so protected. When it all came to a halt, my sister and I were the only 2 that got out by ourselves.
Impressive indeed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That Macan did its job. It gave it's life for you and your sister. Glad you were not hurt and I hope the young man in the Mustang comes out OK. This is what personal injury lawyers are for. I would sue the drunk driver and if nothing else get a gigantic judgment against him in the event he ever owns anything. No mercy for those fools.
It sure did, Michael. I actually felt kinda bad seeing it sit in that salvage yard. Shook my head and said, it’s just a car. Lol. I am loving my new one. It’s faster, and I’m the only one in my little town with that color. I think I have a pic from the dealership. I just wanted to let the forum know how well it stayed together with a drunk driver at a high rate of speed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok, and I hope the other driver that was hit will recover fully as well. I hope the drunk driver has some time behind bars to reflect...

Glad to see/hear that the Macan excelled in a crash and kept you both safe.

Nice looking replacement!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ditto what the others have said, glad that you and your sis art OK. Enjoy the new Macan, looks great!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear you are ok, and I hope the other driver that was hit will recover fully as well. I hope the drunk driver has some time behind bars to reflect...

Glad to see/hear that the Macan excelled in a crash and kept you both safe.

Nice looking replacement!
Thank you. He hasn’t been formally charged yet because the wait on toxicology will take about 6 months to get back. DPS told me at this point he is being charged with intoxicated assault, and maybe more once drug testing comes back. It’s insane the testing labs are backed up 6 months. What does that say about society.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
OMG!!! So sorry for what happened to you but glad you and your sister are OK. The new Macan is a beauty. Drive it in good health.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Happy you & your sister are OK! You did indeed do the crash test.
Hope you & other victims sue the drunk driver.
Your new Macan looks great!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Glad you and your sister are okay! I really like the color of your new one.

Many years ago I was driving my wife's brand new Mercedes GLK and got hit by a pizza delivery kid. The GLK was wrecked about like your Macan. He was under insured. USAA got my wife a new car.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So glad that:
  1. You and your family are ok.
  2. The Mac did her job admirably and wrapped you in a cocoon of safety. She gave her life to save yours.
  3. The POS drunk driver will pay his dues... for a long time.
Hopeful that:
  1. You enjoy your new Mac in good health and without further incident. She is BEAUTIFUL!
  2. The youth and health of the kid in the Mustang helps him make a full recovery and he can enjoy his normal life.
  3. Nobody ever has to go through what you did. (Wishful thinking...)

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Scary! So glad you're okay. The car can be replaced. You can't. Best of luck with the new Macan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now that I’m quartined, I have time to post this. On Jan 3, 2020 I was coming home from my SIL birthday dinner, my sister was with me. I had just bought 5 days before, a 2018 service loaner Macan from a Houston dealer. It was just before 9 pm and I was crossing a river on a concrete bridge with road improvements being done. I look and can’t believe headlights are coming straight at me. Solid lane of traffic on the opposite side of the road. My first reaction is to turn quickly to avoid. He clipped me on the front driver headlamp, I hit the concrete barrier on the passenger rear which turned me in to a spin and he hit me again on my rear axle. Still spinning in to the other lane of traffic I hit the concrete barrier on the other side which stopped me. He then hit the car behind me head on. While in the spin, I could feel airbags coming out everywhere. In the end, 7 of the 8 deployed. But I can tell you I remember not moving 1” inch during that crash. I was so protected. When it all came to a halt, my sister and I were the only 2 that got out by ourselves. He and the other driver were cut out of their vehicles. They received multiple injuries. Yes, he was drunk and drug toxicology has not come back yet. He was under insured so guess who’s insurance picked up the bill for mine they did me right and Feb 10, I drove to Oklahoma City to pick up a Miami Blue one I honestly like it better with the RS wheels, but this one did its job View attachment 230123 View attachment 230123 View attachment 230124 View attachment 230125
Sorry that happened but glad to hear the Macan is a safe vehicle. Sounds like you did a good job defensively, too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts