Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my main YouTube page I could not miss this . Most here might grasp why . I actually looked at the car though . Perhaps it was because I started out the video hoping there might be less of the car towards the end so I watched the whole thing .

To the topic of the car they really did a lot of things overtime to it because its not. a car I normally look at . Obviously the visual distraction got me to look at it but the tech does look more easy to navigate than the recent Porsches .

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SNAP! (Still NOT a Porsche)
Porsche only has one sedan and its a large sport/luxury 100K Panamera (starting price) . When they launched the Cayenne it really took many by surprise . It was actually a brilliant move . They never tried to tackle the mid size and compact (5 Series , A6, E class 3 series, C class, A4) segment at all even though at that time it was thriving .

When I think about carting passengers in a passenger car I always felt the E class was the affordable luxury vehicle . Its amazing to see the sedan segment flounder so badly .

Even though I have no need for this type of vehicle at this point in my life I do feel that spending a 100K for. Panamera is expensive and 35K for a Honda is cheap . This is that middle ground that one would think would survive .

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
@yrralis1, I agree with the 'eye candy', and I think that the E class is a great sedan. We owned one many years ago, a silky straight six. When MB introduced the straight six mild hybrid a couple years ago, I was impressed enough with the 429 hp version that I seriously looked at the E sedan and coupe. If they had offered that engine in the GLC instead of the V6, I'd be driving one today.

Reactions: yrralis1

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@yrralis1, I agree with the 'eye candy', and I think that the E class is a great sedan. We owned one many years ago, a silky straight six. When MB introduced the straight six mild hybrid a couple years ago, I was impressed enough with the 429 hp version that I seriously looked at the E sedan and coupe. If they had offered that engine in the GLC instead of the V6, I'd be driving one today.
I have had two E class cars in my life . The first was my mothers when she became incapable of driving it . It was 4 years old (no warranty) , also had the V6 (E320) , and had under 20K miles . Unfortunately the car had complete brake failure which was a known issue of the 03 cars . My wife (then girlfriend) was driving it and at 5 MPH when they failed she managed to stop it on. a grass area . I felt so badly that I had the car towed to the dealership . Once there we were afraid to keep it but also felt my mother would miss it as we used it to take her out in her last years . So I handed them the key and walked out with a prepaid 27 month lease on an 07 car that nearly identical to the one she had . It was inly one of two times in. my life I tried leasing ..never again especially with MB. It was also a V6 (E350) .

This new car looks somewhat similar in its mid size square exterior but the interior is leap years different . I know nothing of the engines . The video didn't even mention much or maybe I was having difficulty concentrating . I had never looked at the car after the 07 vehicle and probably would have not clicked to watch it but seeing it appear on my main page was enough to have me revisit with a peek.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
What car? There's a car in that video?

The only Mercedes I'd consider these days is the 2021 Mercedes AMG GLE53 Coupe....

Reactions: Hokie and yrralis1

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My problem with the AMG GLE53 is the weight, well over 5000 lbs, if memory serves. The GLC with that engine would be a little rocket....well, if a CUV can ever be a rocket. The sounds of that engine at full song would even distract me from the 'eye candy'! For a moment anyway.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
My problem with the AMG GLE53 is the weight, well over 5000 lbs, if memory serves.
Yes, but I can imagine the incredible ride you'd get on the highway....

The GLC with that engine would be a little rocket....well, if a CUV can ever be a rocket. The sounds of that engine at full song would even distract me from the 'eye candy'! For a moment anyway.
My wife's 2020 AMG GLC43 Coupe is very quick, and the exhaust sounds better than my 2020 GTS, but my GTS handles better, feels a tad quicker, and overall feels more solid.

Reactions: Hokie

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mercedes is one brand I've yet to own but expect to one day.

Let's face facts, at least according to me, which may not be worth much:

1. I know you are speaking of the E Class, a very fine vehicle indeed.

2. That said, the S Class is, and has been for many years, the de facto standard by which all other luxury cars are compared. The Mercedes ride is incredible. The way it smooths out the small road ripples, not to mention big ones, is bar none. The tech, which some are not enamored with, and of course different strokes for different folks, is above reproach. The safety features abound. It is an incredible statement of moving machinery.

3. My son just traded in his C Class on a 2021 GLE350. The interior is beautiful. The screen across the dash is unmatched in its clarity and changeability. The interior lighting is a thing to behold, with more options in colors than a box of Crayola. It is a beautiful place to spend time.

4. The Panamera is not a close comparison in comfort, ease of entry and exit, or room. And I owned one.

5. I see no reason for Porsche to compete with or even be compared against Mercedes sedans. Porsche is about driving involvement, about sport, about the excitement of driving.

6. I'm young enough (64) to still enjoy driving and sportiness of a vehicle. For that, Porsche trumps Mercedes, trumps BMW, including my M5 in every way. (I am not speaking of AMG vehicles.) The steering alone on my Cayenne makes me miss my M5 not one whit. It is a feeling of being in control, of feeling where and what the tires are doing, unlike the fake, non-feel of the M5 which steering was terrible. I call it the wanderer.

However, one day I will want that comfort, that incredible tech which rises above the rest, and I will not throw away my shot and will own an S Class. The new one is above reproach, with 3D dash, etc.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I am itching to replace my wife's 2015 GL with the 2021 GLS. It is a tank, extremely reliable, comfortable and has the latest technology. Porsche does not have a car to compete in the 7 seat SUV market and after having BMW for so many years I think we will continue with Mercedes. BTW, the quality of the service department of my local dealer is outstanding. Not so much for their sales department.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

2. That said, the S Class is, and has been for many years, the de facto standard by which all other luxury cars are compared. The Mercedes ride is incredible. The way it smooths out the small road ripples, not to mention big ones, is bar none. The tech, which some are not enamored with, and of course different strokes for different folks, is above reproach. The safety features abound. It is an incredible statement of moving machinery.

3. My son just traded in his C Class on a 2021 GLE350. The interior is beautiful. The screen across the dash is unmatched in its clarity and changeability. The interior lighting is a thing to behold, with more options in colors than a box of Crayola. It is a beautiful place to spend time.

4. The Panamera is not a close comparison in comfort, ease of entry and exit, or room. And I owned one.

5. I see no reason for Porsche to compete with or even be compared against Mercedes sedans. Porsche is about driving involvement, about sport, about the excitement of driving.

6. I'm young enough (64) to still enjoy driving and sportiness of a vehicle. For that, Porsche trumps Mercedes, trumps BMW, including my M5 in every way. (I am not speaking of AMG vehicles.) The steering alone on my Cayenne makes me miss my M5 not one whit. It is a feeling of being in control, of feeling where and what the tires are doing, unlike the fake, non-feel of the M5 which steering was terrible. I call it the wanderer.

However, one day I will want that comfort, that incredible tech which rises above the rest, and I will not throw away my shot and will own an S Class. The new one is above reproach, with 3D dash, etc.
I agree on much of this but the AMG cars are notorious for being a stoplight powerhouse . I always considered it a one trick pony which depreciated as fast . It pushed cars to become like the M5 you just sold ... big and fast too.

They also sound incredible and I must say the interior does look interesting . My biggest pausing feature on the most recent Porsches are the new interiors . The 992 , Panamera , Cayenne took some time for me to digest . Old school gear like the Spyder get my nod. I feel its partially because the Porsche interior tradition had always centered on simplicity and to see them trying to modernize it almost seems forced . However I read this forum where members love the ACC and beeping gadgets so maybe I am just old . A good radio, clear phone reception , and easy to reach buttons or controls are what I love. In fact when the Macan first arrived in 2015 I thought the steering wheel was an art piece . I still do !

If we were talking just plush comfort .. like the type of car that led to huge family debates at my family dinner table in my youth Mercedes is in the running but so is Bentley , and on the cheaper scale Lexus . My parents loved cars that felt like riding in ones living room and I was always drawn to performance cars . There was mutual respect despite such dramatic car diversity and I did get a better understanding of why people choose a "comfort" car . I just always found them boring unless I was a passenger in the back seat on a long drive where the quiet drifted me off to sleep.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

I agree that the S Class is absolutely fantastic. The interior quality and smoothness of the car on the road is way above what you can get from a Porsche, BMW or Audi. In Europe, you see lots of S Class as limo cars and usually I get to ride on those when going to airports. What a beauty!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,648 Posts
Benz quality is a big question mark though the cars look nice. I probably will never own one.

Reactions: Jon Martin

·
Registered
205 Posts
I too had an 07 E350. It was a solid car, soaked up the miles (was great on longer drives) I kept it until 2013, and the only reason I got rid of it was because I was rear ended at 65 miles an hour and it never felt the same after (the trunk would rattle, going over speed bumps I could hear noises coming from the frame) That’s a testament of a Mercedes, rear ended at 65 mph and I drove it home with a destroyed trunk. The irony was the guy who hit me had this license for all of 2 days, was driving his moms 2012 C class and he drove from SF to LA and was looking at his **** phone. His engine bottomed out of the car (literally broke free)

For me, Mercedes interiors are a little too...busy. lots of wood, and while I haven’t looked at one in a LONG TIME, I’m Sure the new ones are better (like the giant screen) The one thing I can’t get onboard with is the column shifter. I don’t know why but it just seems odd to me. I’d take the previous model G Wagon though...

·
Registered
28 Posts
On my main YouTube page I could not miss this . Most here might grasp why . I actually looked at the car though . Perhaps it was because I started out the video hoping there might be less of the car towards the end so I watched the whole thing .

To the topic of the car they really did a lot of things overtime to it because its not. a car I normally look at . Obviously the visual distraction got me to look at it but the tech does look more easy to navigate than the recent Porsches .
What car?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Benz quality is a big question mark though the cars look nice. I probably will never own one.
Not sure what specific quality issues you are concerned. I haven't paid attention on how their reliability compared to other German cars but what I can tell you is that you will see tons of Mercedes cars in Europe with many, many miles on it. Couple years ago I got a limo car at the Milan airport (I booked it in advance from a company I trust) and the guy had a Mercedes S Class and although the car didn't look that old it was not the latest model. The car looked impeccable. So I started asking him about the car and for my surprise he said the car had over 700,000 km (450,000 miles) on it. :unsure: I asked how was that possible and he said the engine had been reconditioned and other then some parts that had to be replaced the car was still perfect for his needs. I was shocked. It is very common to see Mercedes taxis in Europe and those cars also put lots of miles on them.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

And all of us on this forum expect you to own an MB ONE DAY, @MDJAK. Or maybe 1 week. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Arnold_T

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure what specific quality issues you are concerned. I haven't paid attention on how their reliability compared to other German cars but what I can tell you is that you will see tons of Mercedes cars in Europe with many, many miles on it.
The older Mercedes as.well as the commercial trucks did well. The most recent cars also seem fare better . Ad I said the 03 car we had faced brake failure . If you look upon 2003 E320 and brake failure is a known issue . There was also a time around 2010 where owners were in tears with the C class . Look BMW and Audo also had issues in their history as did Porsche . No car is without it . I must say that my 07 car was fine but I have never seen any cars as reliable as my 07 997.1 Turbo and my 991.2 GTS . Both cars (one of which is 14 years old) have never had a warranty repair . 25K and now 36K (onnthe 991) miles and not even a hiccup.

·
Registered
205 Posts
They are designed to do so in case of a severe accident.
No, I realized that, I was just illustrating how hard this teenager screwed up, and that I was able to drive my broken E Class home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts