Porsche Macan Forum banner

I can get iPhone GMail on my Macan PCM - sort of

10K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  MDJAK 
#1 ·
All - I have been able to get text messages to show up through PCM, but I had not been able to get my email to show up. However, I was able to figure out a way to get my GMail emails to show up in the text message section automatically. Here is what I do to make it work:

- Start the car
- plug in the iphone to the USB port
- wait a few seconds for the car to recognize the phone and say AHA ready
- On my iphone, go to Settings - Notifications - GMail
- click on "Alerts" within the Alert Style When Unlocked section
- click on "Banners" within the Alert Style When Unlocked section

No, when you get an email, the PCM will make a ding noise, the new text message icon will show and a message will show int he Text Messages section of the Messages on the PCM. You will see the message listed as "GMail". WHen you click into the message you can see the first section of text and the title.

You have to repeat this process every time you get in the car. It sounds like a lot, but you get use to it.

You can test this by just sending an email to yourself.

I do not know why this works, but it does. Even though I would like to have proper email notification functionality, this is helpful.

Enjoy!

See less See more
#2 ·
All - I have been able to get text messages to show up through PCM, but I had not been able to get my email to show up. However, I was able to figure out a way to get my GMail emails to show up in the text message section automatically. Here is what I do to make it work:

- Start the car
- plug in the iphone to the USB port
- wait a few seconds for the car to recognize the phone and say AHA ready
- On my iphone, go to Settings - Notifications - GMail
- click on "Alerts" within the Alert Style When Unlocked section
- click on "Banners" within the Alert Style When Unlocked section

No, when you get an email, the PCM will make a ding noise, the new text message icon will show and a message will show int he Text Messages section of the Messages on the PCM. You will see the message listed as "GMail". WHen you click into the message you can see the first section of text and the title.

You have to repeat this process every time you get in the car. It sounds like a lot, but you get use to it.

You can test this by just sending an email to yourself.

I do not know why this works, but it does. Even though I would like to have proper email notification functionality, this is helpful.

Enjoy!
@goldsmid Under what use senario is this more convenient that simply mounting your iPhone and looking at it when an e-mail comes in using normal notifications? I'm just not seeing the benefit? Not saying it's not there, just asking you to explain it to me?

#3 ·
How do you get Texts to show up from iPhone to the car? Simply connecting to BT?

Really happy in getting back into an iPhone as SIRI integration into the car is awesome.

Reactions: Lgoldberg
#6 ·
It should work once the phone is connected via Bluetooth. Activate Siri from the phone and she'll be coming through PCM.

#12 ·
I do not like mounting my phone. It breaks up the interior and it is distracting. Also, the text on the phone is hard to read and trying to navigate on an iPhone while driving is dangerous. I prefer to plug in my phone and keep it in the arm rest for safety. Having the notifications and using the navigation of PCM is easier for me. It is a personal preference, but I just wanted to share a finding for getting iPhones to work, somewhat, with PCM.

#16 ·
Is this on PCM only or also with BT on CDR+?

#18 ·
Still trying to understand why I want to be reading my emails while driving my car :|

#21 ·
iMessages (not just regular SMS) come through just fine for me on the PCM when the phone's bluetooth settings are set like the image above (notifications ON).

#20 ·
iMessages do work fine as the iPhone sends them in MAP as text messages indistinguishable from SMS.

IPad's don't have MAP profile so you can only get to PCM by bridging via the iPhone by Wifi or maybe bluetooth

I wonder if the fix was accidentally triggered by the switch off of iMessage because if you switch it back on everything should be fine if not better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.