Porsche Macan Forum banner

If your Macan manual recommends a break-in period, will you follow it?

• NO. I'll drive it like I stole it.

Votes: 89 12.4%
  • YES. Porsche knows better than I do.

Votes: 603 83.9%
  • Manual? I don't read no manuals (maybe that's why my VCR is still blinking?)

Votes: 28 3.9%

• Total voters
281 - 294 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Good for you. Glad you enjoy your toys the way you do. As for your age, I can tell.
good for you too, out of curiosity, due to your age (marriage + 39 years), when was the last time you drove your Porsche over 4500rpm? Asking for a friend for break in procedure

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Let it go. You'll loose this one too....

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I'm curious - during the break-in period, should I turn off the stop/start feature? 🤔
I turned mine off while I was still in the dealer's lot picking it up, almost two years ago. Have never turned it back on.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Update - due to a combination of covid restrictions, moving interstate, and collecting a new car, it looks like I'll be breaking-in the engine with an interstate drive. I'm not too concerned as I'll mix it up with a combination of backroads and varying RPM, whilst ensuring I'm not sitting on the highway at a single speed. Definitely no cruise control. Any other tips or recommendations?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Update - due to a combination of covid restrictions, moving interstate, and collecting a new car, it looks like I'll be breaking-in the engine with an interstate drive. I'm not too concerned as I'll mix it up with a combination of backroads and varying RPM, whilst ensuring I'm not sitting on the highway at a single speed. Definitely no cruise control. Any other tips or recommendations?
dude, its not that serious. Just drive the car any way you want. After 100 years of cars in production, theres no proof that breaking in a car "varying speeds, no hard accelerating, all hard driving, etc etc etc" has any bearing on the longevity of the car. The manual state to break in the car a certain way, but the manual also states that the car won't function unless you use Porsche wipers, n0 tires, Porsche branded air.

I floored the and held it down for 15 seconds and got to about 145mph within 5 miles of owning the car. I did the same for my new car in 2005, and new car in 2012. Currently... no problems. regular oil changes at 8k miles and air filter changes.

Reactions: SJG

·
Registered
346 Posts
dude, its not that serious. Just drive the car any way you want. After 100 years of cars in production, theres no proof that breaking in a car "varying speeds, no hard accelerating, all hard driving, etc etc etc" has any bearing on the longevity of the car. The manual state to break in the car a certain way, but the manual also states that the car won't function unless you use Porsche wipers, n0 tires, Porsche branded air.

I floored the and held it down for 15 seconds and got to about 145mph within 5 miles of owning the car. I did the same for my new car in 2005, and new car in 2012. Currently... no problems. regular oil changes at 8k miles and air filter changes.
Thanks for your reply, Louis! Like I said, I'm not concerned - in fact, I'm actually looking for to the trip. Truth be told, given the fact that we're in the midst of a global pandemic, this completely pales in comparison. Just grateful to be taking delivery of a new car (let alone a Porsche Macan).

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Louis! Like I said, I'm not concerned - in fact, I'm actually looking for to the trip. Truth be told, given the fact that we're in the midst of a global pandemic, this completely pales in comparison. Just grateful to be taking delivery of a new car (let alone a Porsche Macan).
I suggest you actually invest in a radar detector for your first drives and let it rip.

Reactions: SJG

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I suggest you actually invest in a radar detector for your first drives and let it rip.
At least install Waze for sure so you know where those rascals are hiding. Make certain you are bald or totally grey so when you roll the window down to give the cop your license, registration (check to see if you have this), and your insurance proof (check to see if you have this) that you can have a get out of jail card because you are a senior citizen.

·
Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Thanks for your reply, Louis! Like I said, I'm not concerned
Before you take the advice of any strangers on the Internet, remember this is your property, not theirs. Everyone is free to do as they please.

It is true that tolerances are much better than decade ago. There used to be break-in oil, now gone. The consensus advice used to be change the oil at 1,000 miles, now gone. Yet there are still those that religiously change the oil, although not needed, at 1,000 miles. There are those that think the Porsche recommended 10,000 mile oil changes is a ridiculous number and change it more frequently. And yet, in 2006 and 2007, the recommended number was 20,000 miles.

All mechanical things fail, its only a matter of when. For modern vehicles, you need to figure out the MTBF. Pulling a number out of the air, lets say 180,000 miles. Assuming following the maintenance recommendation, some might go longer some less. If you take the advice of strangers and your engine fails at 120,000, will you be compensated for your loss? Choose the answer that you are comfortable with, not someone else, just you. Its your property. Not theirs. Then you get to live with that decision.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Before you take the advice of any strangers on the Internet, remember this is your property, not theirs. Everyone is free to do as they please.

It is true that tolerances are much better than decade ago. There used to be break-in oil, now gone. The consensus advice used to be change the oil at 1,000 miles, now gone. Yet there are still those that religiously change the oil, although not needed, at 1,000 miles. There are those that think the Porsche recommended 10,000 mile oil changes is a ridiculous number and change it more frequently. And yet, in 2006 and 2007, the recommended number was 20,000 miles.

All mechanical things fail, its only a matter of when. For modern vehicles, you need to figure out the MTBF. Pulling a number out of the air, lets say 180,000 miles. Assuming following the maintenance recommendation, some might go longer some less. If you take the advice of strangers and your engine fails at 120,000, will you be compensated for your loss? Choose the answer that you are comfortable with, not someone else, just you. Its your property. Not theirs. Then you get to live with that decision.
I was merely being polite, and saying thank you. That's totally different to actually practicing the said advice (which I had no intention to). I know my driving style, which remains consistent (albeit responsible), irrespective of strangers advice on the internet.

281 - 294 of 294 Posts