Porsche Macan Forum banner

If your Macan manual recommends a break-in period, will you follow it?

• NO. I'll drive it like I stole it.

Votes: 89 12.4%
  • YES. Porsche knows better than I do.

Votes: 603 83.9%
  • Manual? I don't read no manuals (maybe that's why my VCR is still blinking?)

Votes: 28 3.9%

• Total voters
241 - 260 of 294 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
i am suprised tho that the GM or sales guy that always take me for a quick spin to point out a few thing always drive extremely spirited.
Why would they care? After 4 years, its your dime to fix, not theirs.

I started this thread prior to the US launch of the car. I knew full well that many Macan buyers would be new to the marque. I knew that 40 years ago they were still putting "break-in" oils in cars but modern machining tolerances make that not so important. Even today, there are legions of new car owners that insist on changing their oil after a few thousand miles but even Porsche doesn't recommend that. I also know there are literally thousands of posts on this subject across about every pcar forum in the virtual world and its a subject discussed whenever pcar owners talk.

There are always those who dont care, after all if you only keep the car a few years, its not your dime, and then are those that follow the book. I think perhaps the Yellowstone PCA article had the best description. No, not all engines are broken in on the Dyno. The 918 engines are. That's documented on RL somewhere.

The real point of the thread was to get people new to the marque to think about what they are doing. After all, I think few cars today have much of break-in period and probably dont' need it. PAG has different recommendations for different countries, which on the surface sounds weird. Maybe its a lawyer thing? Maybe its a warranty thing because different countries have different warranty periods? I don't know why.

But the next time you go for a test drive and your SA tells you to drive it like you stole it, and to be fair I read this somewhere else, ask him if the car breaks because of abuse during the break-in period say after you owned it for 6 years, if he will put it in writing that he will pay for whatever damage occurred out of his pocket. Then see the song he sings about "how robust the engines are" but won't back it up out of his own money. But, if by chance he does, I am sure EVERYONE in every pcar forum on this planet will want to know about it. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
blah. to each there own, i am suprised tho that the GM or sales guy that always take me for a quick spin to point out a few thing always drive extremely spirited.

I guess that's a demo car? That's why I never buy a demo car.

Do you mind if folks demo your brand new car like that? ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
New GTS owner break in question

Only thing they told me at the dealership was not to go over 4500 rpm for the first 1k miles. Anything else I should know?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Break in hints for the first 2,000 miles:

Turn off Start/Stop.
Preferably take longer trips.
Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.
Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4,200 rpm.
Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.

For Shifters: Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time (use the most favorable rpm range). Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I just took Ed of my macan and I'm still in Germany, currently have 2000km (1200 miles) on it. First thing I did was take it on the autobahn and drive it 4 hours to the next town. I hit 135mph on day 1 and almost everyday since I've had the car. Over the next few days I just enjoyed the car without flooring it. I did rev it occasionally to 5000rpm and to 4000rpm many times.

About 1000km in I took the car to the nurburgring and did 2 laps there, about 12 miles per lap. Drove in sport mode only, drove it like I stole it. Took some turns over 100mph, loaded the engine to about 80% coming out of turns, and maybe floored it once. Loved the rev matching downshifts, the sound was mesmerizing. I was driving as fast as I can around the 73 turns there. The tires were screaming/sliding and definitely felt the brakes fade when overheating on lap 2.

Drove the car another 500km after that and things have been fine so far. This car is at home going 80-100mph. Handled with confidence on the track and that pdk is about the best everyday transmission you can possibly get.

I'm done breaking in this car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No more break-in required!

I noticed the sections below are no longer in the 2017 Owner's Manual for all Porsche models. Does this mean this is no longer required?

I heard from my sales guy Porsche is doing the engine break-in at the factory now.

Break in hints for the first 2,000 miles:

Turn off Start/Stop.
Preferably take longer trips.
Avoid frequent cold starts with short-distance driving whenever possible.
Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4,200 rpm.
Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear.

For Shifters: Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time (use the most favorable rpm range). Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I guess that's a demo car? That's why I never buy a demo car.

Do you mind if folks demo your brand new car like that? ;)
Also the main reason I always buy new. :|

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just took Ed of my macan and I'm still in Germany, currently have 2000km (1200 miles) on it. First thing I did was take it on the autobahn and drive it 4 hours to the next town. I hit 135mph on day 1 and almost everyday since I've had the car. Over the next few days I just enjoyed the car without flooring it. I did rev it occasionally to 5000rpm and to 4000rpm many times.

About 1000km in I took the car to the nurburgring and did 2 laps there, about 12 miles per lap. Drove in sport mode only, drove it like I stole it. Took some turns over 100mph, loaded the engine to about 80% coming out of turns, and maybe floored it once. Loved the rev matching downshifts, the sound was mesmerizing. I was driving as fast as I can around the 73 turns there. The tires were screaming/sliding and definitely felt the brakes fade when overheating on lap 2.

Drove the car another 500km after that and things have been fine so far. This car is at home going 80-100mph. Handled with confidence on the track and that pdk is about the best everyday transmission you can possibly get.

I'm done breaking in this car.
I guess you will not be keeping this Macan outside warranty? :eek:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I guess you will not be keeping this Macan outside warranty? :eek:
I guess you've never owned another car before?

I've been flooring the car (and every other car I've had) since the first weeks of ownership. Since this Macan was a special one and I was in Germany doing ED, I drove it with excitement every day. And even drove it at 100% for 20 minutes (10 mins per lap) at the Nurburgring.

My family of a few certified mechanics also drives their cars hard without a worry of this 'break-in'

To each their own, hope you enjoyed your first 4200 miles (or whatever it is) of under 4200 rpm (or whatever it is) :eek:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I guess you've never owned another car before?

I've been flooring the car (and every other car I've had) since the first weeks of ownership. Since this Macan was a special one and I was in Germany doing ED, I drove it with excitement every day. And even drove it at 100% for 20 minutes (10 mins per lap) at the Nurburgring.

My family of a few certified mechanics also drives their cars hard without a worry of this 'break-in'

To each their own, hope you enjoyed your first 4200 miles (or whatever it is) of under 4200 rpm (or whatever it is) :eek:

Whatever floats your boat but you still haven't answered my original question. :| I guess you do not plan to keep your Macan outside of the warranty. Either way, I feel sorry for whoever owns your vehicles after you move on to something else. :(

Reactions: Len Walsh

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Whatever floats your boat but you still haven't answered my original question. :| I guess you do not plan to keep your Macan outside of the warranty. Either way, I feel sorry for whoever owns your vehicles after you move on to something else. :(
bro, what does it matter how long i plan to own my vehicle? you can feel sorry for whoever you want, i wish i can be as sympathetic as you.

i actually feel sorry for the thousands of people that just bought brand new cars, and have to drive them like my mother for the first 4 months. Thats really who you should feel bad for. :( I wish they could've enjoyed their first 4k miles aka 4 months (based on a 12k/year avg) or 6+ months (based on most families driving multiple cars) the way i did; by having fun.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just my 2 cents.
On the demo cars at Porsche. Each one I drove, with low kms, on part of the vehicles I tested, they had me stop in the middle of the road and pin the pedal to experience the acceleration.
Now each of these demo's comes with the CPO unlimited kms and 6 years from put in service date.
I doubt that much harm is done for driving them like you stole them right out of the box.

I had read somewhere along the line, that when QC in vehicles was not as good as it is now, one reason for the break in was, that if there were a catastrophic failure, it usually occurred early on, and this was a liability cover so people weren't doing top speed if the failure occurred, and if it did, they were breaching the guidelines.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
bro, what does it matter how long i plan to own my vehicle? you can feel sorry for whoever you want, i wish i can be as sympathetic as you.

i actually feel sorry for the thousands of people that just bought brand new cars, and have to drive them like my mother for the first 4 months. Thats really who you should feel bad for. :( I wish they could've enjoyed their first 4k miles aka 4 months (based on a 12k/year avg) or 6+ months (based on most families driving multiple cars) the way i did; by having fun.

You must be a politician since you can not answer my simple question which I have asked you TWICE! :eek::eek: No need to answer since you will only ramble on about how great you care for your vehicles compared to everyone else. ;)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You must be a politician since you can not answer my simple question which I have asked you TWICE! :eek::eek: No need to answer since you will only ramble on about how great you care for your vehicles compared to everyone else. ;)
Not a politician, don't need to be to talk to strangers online.
Never said my vehicle is greater than anyone else's in this forum. We all have the same car, dummy! LOL LMAO. I just said I'm able to have more fun with my car for the first few months of owning the car, which is probably the most glorious time with the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Engine break-in and dealer advisement

So my dealer said there is no break-in period for Porsche's and to drive it like I normally would. I just can't bring myself to do that. Been babying her for the first 750 miles and have yet to gun it. I have had the engine above 4000rpm's. The dealers assumption with me is that I will turn the vehicle in at 60k miles which is typically what I have done in the past but this vehicle I tend to keep it longer. So which is it, is there a break-in period for Porsche MY '18 engines or not.

What do you all do when you first get your cars. I keep the rpm's below 4000 when possible, avoid short trips when possible and vary my rpm's on longer trips when possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
owners manual is your friend. If you are going to keep this baby for a long time, then you should observe the break in mileage and then do more than the prescribed oil changes as suggested by the manuf.

·
Registered
79 Posts
owners manual is your friend. If you are going to keep this baby for a long time, then you should observe the break in mileage and then do more than the prescribed oil changes as suggested by the manuf.

How often every 5k, any concern hitting above the 1x +4000 rpm, I had to quickly get out of a truck's path.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the same question and emailed my SA yesterday but no reply yet. I have only 200 miles on it and once a while I reached 3000-4000 rpm. But most of the time I wait until the temperature is higher and stable before I try the Sport mode.

My understanding (did not study / search online yet) is: the "break-in" time is just for those mechanic parts to "fit" with each other, like gears, and brakes, and valves. I would not do track-style driving, or pushing to the red line for sure. But on the other hand, I just drive the way I normally would.

The only thing I am debating is to change one extra time engine oil or not... at 3000 miles around... If there is any debris or not??? Not sure...

241 - 260 of 294 Posts