Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initial Macan Models will be 15 years old with approx 150K miles plus in the next 10 years. Just wondering how will it age and overall outlook will be?

911's have a timeless design and have aged gracefully over the years. They are still considered as a symbol for prestige and top of the line engineering.How Macan will be seen?

In my opinion, looking at a 2005 Cayenne vs 2020 Cayenne, I think the older models have done a decent job…thought there aren’t many on the road they still blends in. At the same time, its not the case with some other SUV's Ex 2005 Acura MDX vs a 2020 MDX. Same case with Mercedes models too. Early 2000's Mercedes models looks really really old.

What are you thoughts on Macan?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
First and foremost, I’m more concerned how I will age in the next ten years. If it’s anything like the relatively simple, understated Macan, I don’t have much to worry about.

The majority of 15 year old Macans will probably be painted garish and ply the streets of Havana. Hopefully they will have AS to absorb the potholes there.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
5 Posts
I suspect that because the Macan is a more mass-produced vehicle than a 911 the market for 15-year old versions will be very different than for the 911. It really depends on how the reliability holds up long term. Typical buyers of 15 year old vehicles are looking for something they don't have to keep pouring money into. That's why a 15 year old Corolla sells for more than a 15 year old S-Class Mercedes. I hope to get a good 10-12 years of reliable fun (at 10K miles/year) out of my Macan, but I don't expect it to have more than about 10-15% of its original value at that time. Even less if EV's become mainstream.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
They were doing OK until that awful series #2 light strip got put on the back. Oh, by the way, it is nice they decided to fix all the oil leaking from their mis managed torquing of bolts and that German engineering of the transfer case.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
First off a 10 year old SUV lives a different life in most cases than a 911 . It's a family vehicle which often includes children, pets, long trips , groceries , and no fear of inclement weather. A 911 in many cases is a second car and in the few examples where it is a sole car it usually is with a single person. I have never seen a 911 as the sole family vehicle unless it was a vacation residence for two adults ,

Also the 911 is Porsche's iconic vehicle . None of their SUVs can ever become that.
I know my perspective is not the norm on this forum . There have been many guys who started with a Macan and moved to a 911 . I would not have even considered buying anything Porsche without a 911 being the center of my attention .

When I reflect back 8 years ago when I bought my first SUV ever (a Cayenne) I think of that car as a dated SUV. When I think back even 25 years ago to my previous 911's I smile to myself and cherish that long term ,memory.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
What are you thoughts on Macan?
The short answer is “no”. Here’s the longer answer, an opinion, just an opinion.

TIME. Watch Dr. Porsche. He talks about time. Listen carefully.

Do you believe any SUV design is "timeless"? Does the buying public, those that buy new Porsches, think so?

The 911 is legendary. It is the second longest running production sports car. It’s not just an icon but the standard by which all other contenders are judged. It is the very definition of timeless in the automotive industry. Three things make the 911 unique onto itself.

First, its rear engine design slowly evolved. 35 years ago, the company decided to drop it in favor of front-engine, water-cooled cars. Instead, the antiquated rear engine design was the only model that survived while the “modern” vehicles disappeared from the market place. This rear engine designe, deemed obsolete by many decades ago, remains today.

Second, despite the handicap inherent in its design, the 911, AFAIK, has won more races, decade after decade, than any other car post WWII. Modern sports car racing has handicapped the company as BOP now means the design is no longer competitive so the engine was moved in front of the axle in the race cars but not the production cars. Regardless, its racing heritage is either at the pinnacle of the racing world or shares status with Ferrari.

Third, its flat 6 engine is arguably one of the greatest engine designs of all time. There is nothing like the sound of a NA flat 6 engine at WOT being wound to the redline. It's too bad the turbos today tend to muffle the sweet sound. As the advertising slogan used to say, “Nothing even comes close”.

But these are “things”. Many people have designed cars, designed engines, and raced them. The 911 has one thing many others do not, and that is the people who own them, who race them today, and who meet together to keep the legend alive. It’s the people who go to PCA meetings, rallies, concours, autocrossing, tech sessions, and club racing. Despite far outselling 911s, how many Macans do you see at PCA events? It's the same people who kept the car alive 35 years ago and who keep faithfully buying them year after year. The 911 is expensive enough to be out of the reach of most people. It’s the poster on the wall, the dream of youth.

One day that boy or girl grows up, does well, and buys a new 911. They reach their dream. They are just expensive enough to be out of the reach of most people, but not entirely out of reach if you persevere, save, and have patience. And if that youth ever buys a new one, they have a customer for life not just buying one but maybe 5, 10 or they collect them.

The Macan, by definition is a “utility” vehicle. Its purpose in life is for hauling passengers and cargo. But its functionality is compromised by its design. Its sloping rear area limits the cargo space versus competitors with boxy designs like a Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, or Subaru Forester. There is nothing unique about its design. Its very design is taken from the 911. Watch carefully, the Macan is in this design video.

Its AWD capability is probably better the front biased slip & grip competitors but it is not a true 4 x 4 nor necessarily better than an Audi or Subaru. Its electronics? How's Connect working out? Performance? There are faster SUVs and slower SUVs. The engine? V6 engines are common. Flat 6 engines are rare. A modern commercial. Does this make your blood race?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9lSOjttgbY

or does this?

You ask about 2030, ten years from now. It's been said that some millennials or Gen Z won't even drive. Do children put posters of Macans on their wall and dream of “one day”? Do they save their pennies, scrimp on meals, forego vacations, buy cheaper clothes to scrape up enough money to buy one because it's their dream vehicle? If they come into a windfall do they rush to the car store to buy the first Macan they see?

@yrralis1 wrote: “when I bought my first SUV ever (a Cayenne) I think of that car as a dated SUV. When I think back even 25 years ago to my previous 911's I smile to myself and cherish that long term memory.” Will Macan owners look back in 15 years of their cherished memories or curse the two major problems that exist today?

Now the platform is dying. The new PPE will be shared with Audi for the electric Macan. Within a few short years, the new Macans will look, feel, and act far differently than today. That change will be revolutionary, not evolutionary. Gone will be the small, incremental facelifts or generational changes Porsche is known for. Instead, a tsunami will hit, washing away the 95B series. Some reports say it won’t even be called a Macan. How will this revolution in engine technology effect the market and American’s perception of the vehicle? Will they accept or reject it? If the polls in this forum are any indication, they indicate rejection. But polls can change. If massive and significant inroads for electric infrastructure is made, charging times reduced to the same as getting gas, and pricing of the vehicles identical or cheaper than their equivalent for ICE, then its possible Americans will embrace them, or not. People have to WANT to change, not be FORCED to change. A forced changed is usually a hated change.

No one knows the future. But one thing seems sure. We live in interesting times. So yeah, I guess no. This isn't an apples vs oranges comparison. It's the difference between an atomic bomb and firecracker, just the reality of the different functions of the vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
For some reason the last two youtube videos did not display, so here they are.

First, a modern Macan commercial. Does this make your blood race?

or does this?

Its a totally unfair competition.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think that all Macans will age well over the next 10 years. What won't age well is the pre-2019 infotainment screen.

·
Registered
997 Posts
There was an article today quoting Elon Musk that the value of ICE cars in the near future will drop withthe advent of EV cars ('cars' used as a general term).

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
There was an article today quoting Elon Musk that the value of ICE cars in the near future will drop withthe advent of EV cars ('cars' used as a general term).
.... and the EV cars will drop just like the diesel . The question becomes which region is going to be stuck holding the most of them ?

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Salesman trying to get customers to buy cars. Here is the original from about a year ago

His autonomous driving software will appreciate ;) And here's the pushback

Doesn't everyone always believe salesmen? And here's the current article

Salesman confirms his intention is to increase the cost of this option hence it appreciates :rolleyes: Oh, and its a risk buying one of those other kind of cars besides electric cars. Sure sounds like a sales pitch to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all.

Good point about the resale value depending on the reliability. Hope Macan does not get into some of the old Maserati, S class categories:unsure:

I mentioned 911 as a yardstick for timeless design and how people look at it after 25 or 30 years. Never meant do any sort of direct comparison as it doesn’t make sense. We need to look Macan how it would be in terms of the resale value, how different Macan offerings at that time, perception from an owner stand point etc

btw I dont think Most of the people buy Macan for hauling cargo, kids and pets...There are zillion alternatives. Very few are in just for the Porsche badge. In my view, majority of the buyers are for the driving experience, with the need for a daily driver and 911 being impractical for daily use, why not get something as close to 911

Good point about more and more EV's. Though overall sales numbers are minuscule 1.6% of the overall 17.1 Million units sold in US, EV models are taking the prime spot with all manufacturers. Within 10 years’ time, we can imagine how its going to go up

·
Registered
997 Posts
Worse case scenario: the (any) Administration decides to force obsolescence of ICE vehicles. This is done by carbon taxes, spare parts, inspections and the basic price of gas being so high, most would be forced to go EV.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
Worse case scenario: the (any) Administration decides to force obsolescence of ICE vehicles. This is done by carbon taxes, spare parts, inspections and the basic price of gas being so high, most would be forced to go EV.
Wont happen in US.

US has biggest drop in emissions without Draconian measures. OTOH it is happening in the EU.

·
Super Moderator
7,472 Posts
We need to look Macan how it would be in terms of the resale value, how different Macan offerings at that time, perception from an owner stand point etc
So go research how well all those 15 year old Cayennes are doing, especially the more expensive ones. Look them up in black book or KBB. The short answer is poorly. SUVs are meant to be functional and utilitarian, by DEFINITION, not toys. Read

"... the cheaper the car [vs the 911], and/or the bigger the market, the higher the expectations. There’s a reason that you can buy a Cayenne Turbo S for $15,000 against an original MSRP of $143,000 just seven or eight years after it leaves Leipzig: it doesn’t meet expectations. The man who spent six figures on the Cayenne Turbo S can afford to take that loss, but his more modestly-accomplished younger brother can’t afford to take the same hit on his Macan."

As these cars age, the routine maintenance for 2015 Macans will be for $60 - $100K cars but bought for $10 - 15K. That maintenance is a killer. Just read the complaints about maintenance today. Now add some big dollar problems. People will be crying. You can see it now. People are complaining about the cost of a major service. Now wait until these cars cost $15K instead of those who bought them new for $70K.

Very few are in just for the Porsche badge. In my view, majority of the buyers are for the driving experience, with the need for a daily driver and 911 being impractical for daily use, why not get something as close to 911
You might want to expand that view. First, Google porsche psychographic profiles. Its too long to explain here. Research it. Figure out what Porsche itself said about its customers. The short version is most definitely MANY customers are buying a logo, the “top guns” expecting to be noticed. Why would anyone get embossed on their seats the words Porsche? They don't know what kind of car they are driving. Of course some people buy the name. Look at ME!

With 200,000 cars sold, you see here a small fraction of “enthusiasts” and not the vast, vast majority of owners for which the car is just a car. This is not reality but a virtual confirmation bias bubble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my Macan. This is my 3rd Porsche, first was a 911 Targa (new) and absolutely loved it. Used to run with my sister who had a 1955 356 spider. Second was a 1988 944 Turbo which was very comfortable but in no way a 911. I was diagnosed with Stage T4 Laryngeal Cancer in May. Finished chemotherapy and radiation treatment late July. My constant companion is a Golden Retriever names SeaSea who loves to ride. This Macan was my treat . Some say it’s a raised 5 door 911 and I agree. This one will be timeless to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Though i love my Macan dearly i'm afraid to say that most Macan's will follow the same fate as the Boxter's, Cayman's, 1st Gen 955 and 2nd Gen Cayenne's 957 with 2nd and 3rd/4th owners. Some good and some will just run them down to depreciation.

As with anything that is mass produced with depreciation comes not so caring owners :cry:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts