Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm debating on removing my side skirts and having them painted. Do any "S" owners know if the side skirts are an easy bolt on/off piece or are they pretty complex to remove?

UPDATE: I went to the dealer and looked at the side skirts on their demo Macan. They look pretty easy to remove. They are held on to underside of the car with what look like Torx screws.

This would presumably make them easy to remove and have painted. A far better option IMO than paying $1000 for Porsche to do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fairly easy to remove. As you mentioned there are about 8-10 torx screws on the bottom that need to be removed. There are also 3 plastic clip areas (front , center & back) that hold the upper portion of the sills (the part you see when you open the doors). Once you remove the torx screws you basically pul the skirt straight out. I bought the paintable skirts but if I had to do it again I would just have the original skirts sanded and painted.

Here are some pics. of the three plastic clips:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Are the base skirts a different design than the SD side skirts? I'm getting mixed impressions on that from the pics I've studied for it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fairly easy to remove. As you mentioned there are about 8-10 torx screws on the bottom that need to be removed. There are also 3 plastic clip areas (front , center & back) that hold the upper portion of the sills (the part you see when you open the doors). Once you remove the torx screws you basically pul the skirt straight out. I bought the paintable skirts but if I had to do it again I would just have the original skirts sanded and painted.

Here are some pics. of the three plastic clips:
What do you mean "the paintable skirts"?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the base skirts a different design than the SD side skirts? I'm getting mixed impressions on that from the pics I've studied for it.
yes they are different.

Reactions: K-A

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
yes they are different.
That's what I thought. Some closeups of the standard ones showed how they don't go as low and don't seem to flare out or "concave" (if that's the right word) as much.

·
Registered
887 Posts
What do you mean "the paintable skirts"?
I assume this refers to the standard plastic skirts/bumpers needing to be sanded and primed before being painted. The SD side skirts and paintable bumper sold by Suncoast can be painted directly. I assume one can also buy paintable standard skirts.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I thought. Some closeups of the standard ones showed how they don't go as low and don't seem to flare out or "concave" (if that's the right word) as much.
i dont know if one is lower than the other but the standard ones are not concave and personally I prefer them that way. the concave one makes the bottom look busy to me.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
To further clarify, I'm wondering about the very bottom skirt, I know the Macan doesn't have the added trim piece above.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
They are very similar to the cayenne from what I can tell. Obviously not exactly but similar. They are a slightly textured matte plastic. I don't think they would be that difficult to paint and probably even easier to vinyl wrap. Although I don't know how vinyl wrap will hold up that close to road gravel. A good idea would be to paint it and then apply clear bra to protect the paint from rock chips. I imagine it will cost a couple hundred dollars.

The next question is could the front air dam be done similarly. Not the whole thing but the similar black plastic splitters.

I'd be interested to see the finished product. I can't do it in my car bc it is currently in the body shop in Leipzig being made (I hope). I plan on being the first person in this forum with saddle brown leather interior. Who knows I might be the very first saddle brown interior they've ever made(which would be scary). I haven't found one solitary picture of a Macan out there with saddle brown yet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Could someone please help. After removing 5 torx from underneath the side-skirt, it is still grabbing the body and I can't take it out even with the help of trim remover.
Am I missing something?
Thanks,

EDIT: Scratch all that. It was 6 screws to be removed on each side and was a b**ch to pull the plastic out, considering the corner of the doors won't that happen easily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Older thread here but since I just used it as reference today to successfully remove the rocker panel on a 2017 Macan S, I thought an update was appropriate. It seems the design changed between model years (or models). Instead of 3 plastic clip areas (front, center & back) to hold the upper portion of the rocker (the part you see when you open the doors), there were many clips along the entire length of the sill (picture below). I managed to remove it by detaching the rearmost edge first (the part at the edge of the rear wheel well) then pulling it out and slightly forward to detach the rest. Hope this update helps those that search for the procedure like I did.

Car Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover

1 - 13 of 13 Posts