Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Macan S Sapphire Blue, Steel Built 02/20.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get a dozen 2x4 eight footers for re-doing the back deck. Any suggestions (besides renting a truck) on how to load and more importantly, how to snug the hatch down.
Can't see a place for a bungee cord to attach on the hatch or can I just lower the hatch somehow and it will stay?
Will use plenty of blankets to protect everything everywhere.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
@DUHCAR , my wife's out driving grandkids around at the moment, but I seem to recall transporting an eight-foot piece of wood or two from my local Lowes. Whatever the length, it involved a shop cloth over the center console/armrest, to protect the area, and the lumber placed in between the front seats.

Have you measured the distance from the dash area to the inside of the hatch, with the hatch closed?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did and amazingly it will take an 8 footer. Probably not too many, but with lots of padding it should work. Maybe a coupla trips too.
Now to get up the motivation to do it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Want to get a dozen 2x4 eight footers for re-doing the back deck. Any suggestions (besides renting a truck) on how to load and more importantly, how to snug the hatch down.
Can't see a place for a bungee cord to attach on the hatch or can I just lower the hatch somehow and it will stay?
Thanks.
I wouldn't do it. The hatch was likely not designed to be driven around half opened. First I'd try to borrow a friends truck. Second I'd find a yard that would deliver. With the covid stuff a lot of small yards now will deliver small loads. If there is no other way, to make lumber easier to handle I'll typically wrap the lumber with packing tape at both ends to keep the individual pieces from slipping around. You are going to have a stack of lumber about 9" x 7" x 8' weighing 200+ lbs (17 lbs x 12 boards for PT) that could slide into your PCM screen.

Regarding the deck what are you using the 2x4's for? Other than railings, they are typically only used for vertical framing. Any horizontal framing is usually a 2x6 minimum for short spans.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@JoeInBucks If I tape the stack together it won't slide as it will be padded at each end. But I will take a closer look.
I'm re-doing an existing cedar deck that uses 2x4's as the decking material.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
@JoeInBucks If I tape the stack together it won't slide as it will be padded at each end. But I will take a closer look.
I'm re-doing an existing cedar deck that uses 2x4's as the decking material.
My Lowes is only three miles away, and I went slowly. You ought to be able to wedge a pillow or something like that, up front, to prevent a sudden-stop mishap. And, yep, maybe two trips would be a good idea.

Me, I'd go with Trex or something like that, for decking (along with stainless steel hex-head screws), but that's me. Wood is so 20th century.

In any case, happy repairing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks.
Did that last year with some lumber. Lots of protection around the wood worked well. Every time I hit a mild bump in the road, the hatch opened a few more inches as I didn’t tie/bungee the hatch down. Not quite sure how to secure hatch partway open.

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
I had a similar issue shortly after I got my Macan. I picked up a couple of armchairs and then realized
there was no way the rear lid was going to fully close. I got some picture hanging wire from the seller
and tried to rig something up to hold the lid against the chairs.

It didn't really work and the lid only stayed "closed" at highway speeds. Once we got off the highway, it opened up.

IIRC, there really weren't any good tie-down points on the lid...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts