Porsche Macan Forum banner

How old is an "old" car ?

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  yrralis1 
#1 · (Edited)
The recent thread discussing price and value led to peeking at what's for sale . I came across many cars but here's one in my region which caught my eye https://www.champion-porsche.com/ve...sche-macan-turbo-pompano-beach-fl-id-31241120

I know nothing about the car but upon reading carfax saw it was one owner , routine service , no major issues , plugs replaced and now its here in Fl with a CPO.

BUT !!!!!!

Is the car new or old ? Mileage wise the car is new for an SUV. Warranty wise it has a CPO safety net . Yet the car is OLD !!!! Buy a 2016 car, daily drive it two years , let the CPO expire , and now it becomes a 6 year old high mile Macan Turbo with no remaining warranty.
Buy a new Macan Turbo , daily drive it 2 years , and it still has factory warranty left, it can still be CPO'd , it has trade in leverage .. in short it's still desireable . In fact I am guessing 2022 will ne the last year of this gen Macan so the owner has time and then ability to get out of the car with ease.

The price difference
High 50's Vs high 90's (MSRP to MSRP) .

So its 40 grand but one gets a heck of a ,lot of things for 40K :
1) Newer everything (tech, engine, brakes, .. etc)
2) full warranty
3) No unknown history
4) leverage to get out

Conclusion -- Some cars age better than others . The SUV is one of those vehicles which does not age well . Every time I think of buying one of the I end up new unless I were shopping a stripped down base cars. I believe the launch of the new Turbo will bring a bit hit to the Macan.1 Turbo . The current GTS which I own will take a big hit as well when or if Porsche releases a GTS.2.
And lastly ... the whisperings of an "all EV" redesign Macan is the wild card in the value of all the cars we now are holding . I can't and wont guess that far into the future .

See less See more
#2 ·
Cars depreciate. Macan a bit less than others, but they still depreciate. Viciously.

But depreciation cost per year can be minimized by keeping the vehicle a long time and annual costs can be minimized by using a good independent. The over all cost of a Macan, over time, will always be higher than most other SUV's, but the joy of driving one ought to compensate. If not, one would be happier with a more economic car, like, well, almost everything else....

#3 ·
I've never gone the CPO route yet, but I would consider it. As to model year, are the design and specs of the cars really any different? The CPO is older and has mileage and a new car warranty, but you have 40k to compensate for those factors. You do have more leverage to get out of the new one, but you also have more into it and to get out of it. Future models should impact the resale value of existing new and CPO cars on a similar, relative basis, I believe. Also, not everyone buys cars they drive, which are destined to depreciate, based primarily on resale value. Plus, even for those who care about resale value, the buyer of a CPO will generally take less of the depreciation hit than the buyer of a new vehicle.

#4 ·
Some people simply cannot psychologically deal with buying a used car. And that’s OK. If everyone did not buy new cars, there would not be any used ones available.

The fact is that the extra $40,000 insurance policy is wildly expensive, and it’s very unlikely that you will ever recover more than a small fraction of it. Yes, it eliminates most of the risk, but at what cost?

When I was younger I would never buy anything but a brand new car, but I finally saw the error of my ways. When I now look back at how much I have saved by buying used versus new, the amount of money that I saved is simply breathtaking.

There is a reason use Macans, whether in warranty or out of warranty, command the value that they do. The likely cost of repairs is baked into those numbers.

Sure, you can get stung buying a used car. There is risk. But smart buyers know what the risk level really is.

#11 ·
Some people simply cannot psychologically deal with buying a used car. And that’s OK. If everyone did not buy new cars, there would not be any used ones available.

The fact is that the extra $40,000 insurance policy is wildly expensive, and it’s very unlikely that you will ever recover more than a small fraction of it. Yes, it eliminates most of the risk, but at what cost?

When I was younger I would never buy anything but a brand new car, but I finally saw the error of my ways. When I now look back at how much I have saved by buying used versus new, the amount of money that I saved is simply breathtaking.

There is a reason use Macans, whether in warranty or out of warranty, command the value that they do. The likely cost of repairs is baked into those numbers.

Sure, you can get stung buying a used car. There is risk. But smart buyers know what the risk level really is.
Repair is a risk. Depreciation is a certainty.

#5 ·
Maybe it is a question of economy vs luxury. At the luxury end of the behavioral spectrum you can purchase a new car and drive it for a designated period of time while doing all your maintenance at the dealer and then sell/trade in for another new vehicle once you tire of it. Some choose to lease if they can deal with the mileage (and other) restrictions. You get the pleasure of always driving a relatively new car.

At the economy end of the spectrum you can shop used to minimize depreciation cost. You pay cash if you can. You drive the car as long as you can to minimize financial outlay and you have to make the effort to find a good yet affordable independent mechanic. When the monthly cost of maintenance comes close to that of new car payments is when you consider switching.

Somewhere in the middle of those two ends is where relative value lies, and that's different for each individual.

#6 ·
Some luxury car buyers place a significant value on being able order exactly what they want, not having to invest the time to find the car they want used, and not having to be concerned with out of warranty repairs. Nothing wrong with that if you have the money.

But I'm not quite in that club. If I want to drive cars in the price range being discussed, the only way I can make it affordable is to be a long term holder.

Reactions: fincher
#7 ·
I notice the human factor often gets left out of these types of discussions. My Mom made it into her 104th year running on excessive energy but I think in the latter years she might have been parking by braille. I went with her when she picked up her renewal license at age 100. If one glances at the obits you might notice that we are mortal and that factors in on what you buy and how long you run it. My current sweet spot for cruising speed has diminished from 100 mph to more like 90 as I have moved deeply into my 80th year. I love the ACC as it reduces stress. Aging is a factor on what model and how long I will drive a car.

#8 ·
I still can hear my Father's words "don't buy someone else's problem". I have happily bought new vehicles for over 35 years now,albeit none as costly as the Macan.

Reactions: JohnC4S and grim
#12 ·
I've heard those words too and there's a grain of truth in it yet it also was a different era with cars . They didn't have certified programs developed like today and the technology for diagnostics was not as sophisticated .

I started a thread recently about loaner cars and it was immediately rejected by the "who would want to buy a car driven by many" . Yet I am two weeks into my loaner car and its perfect so if I was looking for a base Macan and this CPO deal could be made I see it as a reason to buy it based on weeks of test driving the car . I thought the thread would serve to identify loaner cars which we handed back worth inquiring about .

#15 ·
I like to buy new because no one maintains a car better than I do. My last car, a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, had 174k mile on it and still ran new, looked new, even the driver's seat. It's new owner got a bargain. The only reason that I sold it was that I wanted something sportier; more nimble.

I also never abuse my cars. I change the oil and fluids religiously, and always use the best quality, including filters.

I've got old cars in my stable. One from the 60's, which I have had for 33 years and will probably own until I die. I have three more from each decade: 70's, 80's, 90's. All needed a lot of work to get up to my standard: everything working as intended (or better) and looking good.

#16 ·
Buy a 2016 car, daily drive it two years , let the CPO expire , and now it becomes a 6 year old high mile Macan Turbo with no remaining warranty.
Buy a new Macan Turbo , daily drive it 2 years , and it still has factory warranty left, it can still be CPO'd , it has trade in leverage .. in short it's still desireable .
I bought my 2017 about 11 months ago. It is a CPO car. Instead of the factory 4 year 50k mile warranty it has a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty. Besides the lower cost of entry, my warranty is far superior to a brand new car - especially considering I've just broken 20k miles since buying it. It will be well north of 120k miles when my CPO warranty ends.

If you've got the wad of cash to always buy new and trade every two years then more power to you. My car is the "newest" I've ever purchased, and I mostly went this new because of the CPO.

My Cayenne was 13 years old when I bought it for cheap (cheap because the widely held belief that a used german car is a poor purchase decision). Stone axe reliable, I'm sure I had WAY more low stress driving fun than the guy who paid $88k for it when it was new.

#18 ·
I bought my 2017 about 11 months ago. It is a CPO car. Instead of the factory 4 year 50k mile warranty it has a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty. Besides the lower cost of entry, my warranty is far superior to a brand new car - especially considering I've just broken 20k miles since buying it. It will be well north of 120k miles when my CPO warranty ends.

If you've got the wad of cash to always buy new and trade every two years then more power to you. My car is the "newest" I've ever purchased, and I mostly went this new because of the CPO.
If you plan to drive a car forever then CPO does offer some coverage beyond the standard factory . The problem is cars like these are bought because of how they drive and over time they become dated (unless deemed a classic .. which never will happen with an SUV). Also note that obtaining a CPO is not free . The car wholesale is far less and the CPO is coverage which the buyer does pay for in the sale . You will also face routine expenses with aging and wear sooner with a used car which has miles than a new one which lacks them . In short CPO is less money up front , offers more coverage , but its not a magic carpet ride .

My Cayenne was 13 years old when I bought it for cheap (cheap because the widely held belief that a used german car is a poor purchase decision). Stone axe reliable, I'm sure I had WAY more low stress driving fun than the guy who paid $88k for it when it was new.
You beat the odds in that the car was reliable but there are many stories which depict the opposite . My point is that with no warranty , and if the person is not himself a technician at repair , the risk exposure is high . EVERYONE hopes to beat the odds but the guy who takes out a loan , buys a used high end car , and faces a monthly payment plus a big ticket repair can have a lot of "stress" .

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.