Porsche Macan Forum banner

How much is too much when it comes to options?

6K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  vanmacandriver 
#1 ·
I am close to the lock date and got a final list of options I feel I'll be happy with, and can somehow afford by stretching my budget. Since I like to believe I'm a sensible person, I want to ensure I don't spend "too much" on options to regret it after a few months of ownership. I am curious if there's a "golden rule" for Porsche buyers regarding the "right" percent of options out of the total purchase price? Right now my options are 22% of the total purchase price (base car + options), or 28% of the base car price.

#4 ·
Search first. 20 - 30% was the norm.

#5 ·
On every model and trim Porsche puts out a MRM number . Its a price point for lease parameters. Most here (especially me) buy the car rather than lease . However when dealerships used to spec cars for the lot they stuck to those numbers . This way it gave a walk in shopper a choice , A car much higher than an MRM number had payments skyrocket so it was to a disadvantage to over option a lot car.

In terms of resale we are in different times now but the old method was high option cars sank in resale . I remember when a 122K Macan Turbo sold for 67K about a year later with a CPO . The higher the trim and spec the greater the fall .

I have secede most of my cars within parameters but my most recent Macan Turbo isa above it and so will my 911 GTS be above . I haven't followed Macan numbers but on a 911 MRM is in the low to mid 150's and I am in the 170's . I am going in expecting to feel that impact unless;ess thus current market madness of car pricing continues upward .

#6 · (Edited)
On every model and trim Porsche puts out a MRM number . Its a price point for lease parameters. Most here (especially me) buy the car rather than lease . However when dealerships used to spec cars for the lot they stuck to those numbers . This way it gave a walk in shopper a choice , A car much higher than an MRM number had payments skyrocket so it was to a disadvantage to over option a lot car.

In terms of resale we are in different times now but the old method was high option cars sank in resale . I remember when a 122K Macan Turbo sold for 67K about a year later with a CPO . The higher the trim and spec the greater the fall .

I have secede most of my cars within parameters but my most recent Macan Turbo isa above it and so will my 911 GTS be above . I haven't followed Macan numbers but on a 911 MRM is in the low to mid 150's and I am in the 170's . I am going in expecting to feel that impact unless;ess thus current market madness of car pricing continues upward .
Thank you, this is very useful. Yea, I realize on some of my options I won't get anything at resale, but I hope that others (20" wheels, PASM and sport tailpipes) may help my Base stand out from other base Macans. Regardless, I am specking the car I'll be happy with and it seems I am not way off from most buyers so that helps.

Reactions: yrralis1
#7 ·
I notice this gets raised often here with regards to budget and many choose to go without certain desired options to stick to their budget number which often sounds a self imposed number.
For me a Porsche is a luxury purchase and there are many cheaper options that would fulfil the duties a P car does so the whole point of the purchase is the experience of the ownership
Unless a particular option is ridiculous money I am happy to consider it as I figure there is no point spending 90% of the price of the vehicle that you really want to be driving around with regrets of what you didn’t get. The price is soon forgotten but the experience is the life of the vehicle ownership.

Unlike going on a vacation or to an expensive restaurant where you have nothing to show for it other than the experience, there is some residual resale value from your Porsche experience.

Choose the options that make you happy.

#12 ·
Not always . Different variants may have similar appearances but are completely different cars . For example when my 911 GTS approached base Turbo pricing I did consider it but it quickly evaporated . The Turbo is an AWD. car and more luxury focused . The GTS is a RWD car and more driver engaged focused . A person can even get sport bucket seats and a manual on a GTS but not on a Turbo . Now the Turbo does get a 3.8 engine and all the comforts so it could be a daily driver . If I didn't already have a Turbo the decision. may have been harder but I still would have chosen a GTS .

The Gt3 and Turbo S can be near equal in price . They are such different cars that one cant just let price push the decision .

With the Macan Porsche did simplify it in the 22 model with only 3 variants vs 4 . However for about 5 years on this forum the debate of GTS Vs Turbo was heated and price can be close enough to fuel the rivalry in the decision .

#14 ·
There are some basic things one would expect on a Porsche. I think the minimum is a Premium package. Anything else will be for you to enjoy but not for resale value. Also, it depends where you live. Ordering any car without heated seats and heated steering wheel in MN is suicidal. Nobody will want your car when you decide to sell it. Got a brand new Base as a loaner this week. Car had Premium package, 14 way seats, heated steering wheel. That is apparently the sweet spot for the Base.

#19 ·
The 2019 I bought off the showroom floor is a great car, I would not have chosen Carrara white or the Macan Turbo wheels. Those two things I see every time I approach the car. This is one reason I just put in an order for an allocation for what I want - a unique color (papaya) with wheels I like plus interior and performance add ons that keep me happy while driving one of these awesome cars.

By the way, I am spending more than planned and speccing up an S instead of waiting who knows how long for a GTS.

#22 ·
A famous member here dubbed SC as “The ’Porsche’ Button.“ Wish I could take credit for it as it is spot on.

I would not push SC on anyone looking to keep their cost down. But in light of your “likes” and preferences for a quick shifting tranny, there is absolutely nothing like it. In fact, I’ll bet you if you spec it you’ll be so happy you will want to treat me to dinner as we drive there in Sport Plus.

See if you can test drive a used Porsche at your dealer with SC. You’ll thank me later. :)

#25 ·
New 2021 GTS owner here, former 997 owner (back before kids and before 4 seat Porsche’s were an option). It is my daily driver in Dallas. I use the SC quite a bit. And I drive in a city with flat straight streets, lots of “commuter” highway driving on North Dallas Tolllway and I-75 (12 miles back and forth to Plano almost every day for those who know my city). Sport response outstanding for getting on to on-ramps when otherwise on normal mode, but I drive in Sport most of the time. Sure I don’t drive in Sport + more than once or twice a week, but I am shocked to hear this is one of the least used options. I do not agree with whoever said that. So, you do whatever you think best, but I did not even consider not getting SC, and I passed on a lot of other options.

#28 ·
I find the SPORT button provides all I really need to enjoy the really twisty roads here in the mountains. As fun as it would be on a long straight . . . I had no problem spending 30 minutes with the ACC set on 112mph in NC and have no problem enjoying the very twisty local roads using the whooping 250HP and SPORT.

After 17 years of riding high performance bikes and spending some time on some 200hp sport bikes . . .I find I have as much fun on a 101hp v-twin that handles well as I do a 200HP GP racer. . . . but, I confess it's a matter of preference.

In an SUV . . . it's a combination that works for me. In an R8 or a 911 . . . I suspect the power choice would win out.

#29 ·
Final option I’m debating is the GT steering wheel. I like the all black look and at $370 it wont break the bank but I wonder if any owners can share their experience. Any trade offs with the smaller diameter or regrets getting it?

#30 ·
I like the GT steering wheel over the standard Macan steering wheel (and I've owned both styles) because the smaller diameter GT wheel makes the steering feel more weighted/sporty, and it's overall darker color.

The trade-off for me is my right hand knuckles have less room at 4 o'clock bumping up against the SC dial when grabbing the wheel from underneath.

#34 ·
there's no way the charging infrastructure will blow up so fast to make EVs actually worth it for long road-trips.
And . . you are in the perfect position to make your choice based on your personal experience.

Here's what you do . . . . .

1). Order the wheel prior top your lock. You're going to enjoy it. It must be ordered prior to lock or you have a pricey proposition on your hand to have it changed by a dealer later.

2). When you get the Macan . . . drive it and see what you think. If you like it and everything suits your taste . . . hooray.

3). If not . . . go to one of the aftermarket vendors . . .here's a reputable one . . . but it and have it activated. NOTE: It is non-refundable. Once you buy it, even if you screw the VIN up (Don't as the dealer won't be able to program it to your car) . . . you own it.

But . . . you are the the great position to "try before you buy"

Some reading . . .

#36 ·
You’re gonna lose money on just about any new car. I just put what I wanted in it, regardless of price. The only thing I skipped was the 600$ wireless charger 😳. I’m extremely happy with the result! Here’s my build: The Porsche Code
This current market has defied that . There are one year old cars fetching OVER MSRP used . The uptick in todays price is baed on the long wait of ordering vs an immediate car with a CPO . Even 2-5 year old cars have jumped in price . I don't know if this is temporary or the new normal because it has happened long enough to feel like it will be here awhile . However loading up a base car might break that mold . Most base shoppers are looking for a value . They arent going to understand 25K in options on a a 55 K car .

#37 ·
I get that Q. First Porsche for me and was also in the dark about such things. I did not have a bottomless pit- 'yes' tge conversation is degraded by Commoners able to access a Porsche!

In £s English, think the 2L was £49k, I added £13k. My ref point was that previously, I had never spent that alone on any car, ever...So yeah, I may well be in a different world to many of you.

I tracked advertised car options to get a feel. Guess this might be market orientated. Eg Panoramic roof seems a must have tge UK but 21'' wheels+ I think not- our roads just up to Germany, France and way below NZ, Aust and USA- or so I think from TV! I did not hesitate to add practical stuff at low cost, I wanted- underseat storage, collapseable spare tyre/wheel, better lights- again our poor roads.

But ultimately, intending to keep a long time, I went for what I wanted/ could justify/afford.

The issue that at odd times haunts me is- should I have bought the 3L. But, it soon passes. The 3L for 50 miles all round, offers little real world benefit- we are speed camerad up here. Then running costs - +50% on insurance for me.

Finally refinement - thought the 3L relatively clanky, way less refined the 2L.

But that is me- and my Son. He though his 300 bhp Golf R more refined the 3L.

#40 ·
Some folks invest so much time and thought into the detailed analysis of sponging or not spending $280 that my recommendation would be to take the $$ . . put in an ETF cranking a good return and go buy a Yaris for $14,000. It will take you anywhere the Macan will and you'll be free from the resale worries.

Investments are serious business. Cars, guitars and airplanes are fun. If you are spending close to $90k on that new GTS and worried about the $370 steering wheel you have outrun your own shadow.

The car should be fun . . . but so should the experience. I refuse to angst over a commodity,

The whole resale argument holds little water. Can you imagine forgoing something you'd truly enjoy for 2 or 3 years to get back the price of dinner for 4 at resale?

Yikes

#41 ·
Investments are serious business. Cars, guitars and airplanes are fun. If you are spending close to $90k on that new GTS and worried about the $370 steering wheel you have outrun your own shadow.
Sure, but I got a few things to say:
  1. For most people, the road from $60K to $90K is paved with dozens of "its only a couple of hundred dollars" decisions. :rolleyes:
  2. Most people don't get to buy a $50K, $60K or $90K car without being smart about their money.
  3. Porsche's pricing strategy is brilliant, and explains their margins.

#42 · (Edited)
Just to close the loop, after spending way too much time obsessing over options and budgets, I ended up with a build that will make me happy. That came up to 29% of base MSRP in options. Once again I considered getting an S but having read some of the 2022 Base reviews and considering my driving pattern, I decided a nicely optioned Base is a better car for me. The options I went with are: PP+, 20” wheels, PASM, gloss black tailtips, GT steering wheel, white instruments dials, ACC, surround view and the one option which is a total waste of money yet I could not get myself to drop - Porsche headrest crests. Now the wait Begins.

Reactions: strawberry
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.