Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is somewhat depressing. Transfer case failure and oil leaks seem to be happening left and right. I just want to know how many people DID NOT have those two problems and what is your mileage?

I bought my CPO Macan S two months ago. It now has a little over 18K mi. Neither of those two problems had happened yet.

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
I haven’t had either yet. My 2015 S is 4 years and 4 months old and has 36k miles. It’s my weekend car and rarely sees rain, and never snow.

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
2015 Turbo with about 56k miles. No issues with the transfer case, timing chain cover, or anything else so far. Dropped the ride height 35mm on day one, and no ill effects from that either.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I see people writing on this thread so far in non-snowy areas.
I wonder if there is any correlation between how heavily AWD is used vs. the transfer-case problem -- meaning, presumably, how hard the car is driven. And are there more transfer-case problems for people living in snowy climates?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
This thread is somewhat depressing. Transfer case failure and oil leaks seem to be happening left and right. I just want to know how many people DID NOT have those two problems and what is your mileage?

I bought my CPO Macan S two months ago. It now has a little over 18K mi. Neither of those two problems had happened yet.
There is a way to make a survey on this website. I suggest it would be better to do your question this way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a way to make a survey on this website. I suggest it would be better to do your question this way.
You are probably right, thank you for suggestion. I am new here, still learning things.

BTW, I live in Oregon but my Macan spent first 18 months of its life in Chicago area.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Took delivery of my 2015 Macan Turbo in May 2014, just under 37k miles and no issues with either the transfer case or timing chain to date. Recently had the AC control module replaced covered by my extended warranty that would have been a $2500 repair, but it’s otherwise been a great vehicle.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Almost 2 years, 33K Miles and no issues. My Macan is driven all year round in all weather, especially fun in lots of snow.

John

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
My Turbo is 4 years old with 23ksf miles. No issues except PCM needed replacement a couple of years ago. Have a Cobb tune and Cete lowering module.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
2015 S and 2017 GTS, both near 27,000 miles, no problems.

·
Registered
256 Posts
These problems occur not directly related to mileage and length of time, so one cannot make a generalization about it. My 2017 S model for example, the oil leak occurred at 18K after 3 years, just 18K! I see some have driven over 50K and have no issues. But oil leak will likely to emerge. I am hoping my transfer case will break before the warranty expires next year.

·
Super Moderator
10,540 Posts

IMO this thread feeds into needless anxiety. There are people here already anxious over this buying extended warranties because they fear this problem will come up one day. Do the numbers support this? Where is the data that supports this anxiety?

When people have problems, they complain. When they are happy, few say anything. Over 83,000 Macans have been sold in the US alone, over 330,000 worldwide. https://www.macanforum.com/forum/complaints/140338-replaced-macan-transfer-cases.html contains the list of those who have complained about xfer cases including a graph of miles when the car was fixed. https://www.macanforum.com/forum/complaints/169565-oil-leaks.html contains the list of complaints about oil leaks. Some of these results were gathered from other sources than this forum. If you got 50 documented oil leaks and maybe 130 xfer cases, while important to those individuals, its a tiny, tiny number. Triple it or quadruple it to account for undocumented ones, say 200 to 400 cases, its still nothing compared to the 330,000 cars sold world wide or 83,000 in the US. Whats 400/83,000? .00048%?

If this was a huge, massive issue, the outcry would be enormous. Anyone see any huge outcry from the buying public?

If you have these issues, please post in the appropriate sticky thread so the issue is documented. I'm not dismissing those who had problems. Absolutely they had issues. But lets not make it out for more than what it is. When it reaches a point of public outcry, what happened in the past? What happened with IMS and Cayenne Coolant pipe problems?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I rolled past 30k last weekend in my 2017 GTS daily driver that has seen a lot of snow, and after 8 months with a Cobb tune, it drives better than ever. No issues here.

Reactions: Pedarro

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I've had my turbo for a year now, 14K miles. No issues at all and more than my fair share of snow driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see people writing on this thread so far in non-snowy areas.
I wonder if there is any correlation between how heavily AWD is used vs. the transfer-case problem -- meaning, presumably, how hard the car is driven. And are there more transfer-case problems for people living in snowy climates?
I am living in mid europe on a steep mountain street. We have heavy snow every winter. I also switch to offroad in summer, because the street is so steep.

My car was built 01 2017, I drove 64000 km. No problems with transfer case nor any other problem so far.

I am wondering if transfer case problems more have to do with humidity.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts