Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to keep my cars for 10+ years. My current daily driver is 11 years old and will be replaced by my Macan in a couple of months. I have seen a few posts here that indicate some owners plan to keep their Macan for only 3-5 years. Is there a specific reason that the Macan should not be kept longer? As long as I enjoy it as much as I expect to, I plan to keep mine for the long haul.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I get my Macan in March and plan to keep it till the GTS arrives. I then keep that till the face lift and then that, till the new model. So it works out to be +- every 2.5 years.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
I tend to keep my cars for 10+ years. My current daily driver is 11 years old and will be replaced by my Macan in a couple of months. I have seen a few posts here that indicate some owners plan to keep their Macan for only 3-5 years. Is there a specific reason that the Macan should not be kept longer? As long as I enjoy it as much as I expect to, I plan to keep mine for the long haul.
Much depends on the yearly mileage and individual purpose of the vehicle. I have an 8 year old Porsche but my Macan Turbo will not be kept long term . The reason is that the Macan's function is to be a high mileage daily driver (with updated amemities) as opposed to a rarely driven garage queen . One can keep a Macan for ten years and drive it until the wheels fall off but I don't want to spend my days spending on service driving a car which will become dated .I also shamlessly admit that if I drove the same car high miles every day I would become bored. To spend 90K for boredom I just assume buy a Honda, save my money and be bored on day 1 .

I feel that in order to maximize the trade in value or private sale mileage will play a role . On a Porsche I have learned the first noted hit occurs when a car crosses 10K miles and the biggest hit is 50K miles . I like to trade the car with 36K miles (maximum) and some time left on warranty . It gives the dealership an incentive to CPO the car making a nice trade in number . It also gives the used car shopper some peace of mind knowing there is warranty . This translates into a higher used car sale price and some leverage into the new car purchase .

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'll most likely keep it both my Macan for like 8 months each, but I guess I do that with all my daily so ignore me lol.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Out of every board I've been on, this group by far is the one who plans on keeping their cars for significantly longer than average time frames.

It's all relative and isn't about the Macan if people plan to switch out "soon" (which is more like average in this day and age of premium cars being leased mostly, even if Porsche thankfully bucks that trend). It's how the lease heavy premium market has morphed the consumer market into a more disposable practice.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
The ONLY con of Colorchip is that it has an expiration date of about one year. However, you know a company is good and stands by their product when THEY are the ones who inform you to not buy it until you get your first "chip" so as not to fast track said expression.

I'll throw a little plug in for GeniColor Pen as well (who have no expiration date), I've used it on my M-B's, BMW and now Porsche. It takes a little bit of talent, little room for error, and isn't as easy to make seamless as Colorchip, but once you get the hang of it, and on certain types of defects that are unique to a pen style, it's a great product and very innovative in how it works, as well.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I'll most likely keep it both my Macan for like 8 months each, but I guess I do that with all my daily so ignore me lol.

Which black do you like better?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Until the warranty runs out. Not going to keep a first run, daily driver, high mileage Porsche. The dealer has already shown a propensity to throw parts at problems, which is fine while it's under warranty, but not on my tab.

·
Registered
303 Posts
1-2 years max. Will likely replace it with a Macan Turbo S if they release it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm already planning my next car (Tesla P85D), but realistically it's a year away. Normally I hang on to a car for 2-3 years at the most.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
5+ years or as long as it runs well and I enjoy driving it.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
I am getting the GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI) for 7 years/100k miles.

·
Registered
512 Posts
6 years but there's a good chance I'll trade up to GTS or Turbo S before then.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Is it stupid to hope that the Macan can be a 20-30 year "keeper"? Or does the abundance of electronics pretty much rule that out -- not just for the Macan, but for any new car? We've always kept everything for decades ...

1 - 20 of 185 Posts