Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,663 Posts
Breakfast was big skillets of fried up sausage, onions, and potatoes with a dozen eggs scrambled in at the end. Washed it down with that campfire coffee
Everything always tastes better when cooked outside.

If you all didn't pay attention yesterday, the House had Amazon, Apple, FB, and Google CEOs in for questions. I didn't know FB CEO was a pretty cool guy

He's got a Green Egg and uses Sweet Baby Ray. Who doesn't like Sweet Baby Ray? Is that a Komodor at the end? Anyone know how much a Komodor costs? They are pretty rare. 😉

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Sorry I just reread and didn’t realize how long this is. So grab a snack 🍩 and a beverage ☕.

What a great thread. I just now took the time to read through everyone’s thoughts. I might need to take a few cooking lessons from some of you, and heavens knows my yard needs some divine intervention.

As a teacher in a 100% free and reduced title one school this virus has rocked my little world, and still does. I work with four year olds and when the world came falling down on March 13 in my state, my school made packets of work for the children for two weeks (and we even sent home extra school supplies we had in our rooms so the kids would have materials to use at home), thats how long they thought we would be gone. 2 weeks turned into bringing the families in to check out iPads and chrome books for online learning to use at home till the end of the year, just in case we don’t come back. We were in a holding pattern and after every 2 weeks we would find out if we get to go back into our classrooms or are staying home even longer.

With the bigger kids they could get themselves logged into zoom lessons or into their learning programs. With me I was at the mercy of the parents to log their kids into my daily zoom meetings, and I had zoom meetings at 2 different times of the day because that is what my parents asked for. But out of my 18 kids I would see 6-8, and some kids daily, and other kids about once a week. The group of little loves that I have the privilege of working with are the kids that NEED to be in the building for more than just academics. I have to say my district has been fantastic with having meal sites set up for the kids to go get breakfast and lunch bags, and even where my kids lived in the projects there was a bus that would go in daily to bring the kids “grab and go” bags for breakfast and lunch. The district also would park wifi buses in neighborhoods so the kids could have access to wifi. My district tried to make sure the kids had food in their bellies and free wifi so they could do their work. I think towards the end of may, food service served over a million meals to the children any age up to 18. Didn’t matter if the kids went to our district, they were fed.

Seeing my kids on zoom was the highlight of my day and I didn’t want to end the meeting. Being apart of the zoom meetings the kids were the ones who enjoyed seeing their friends the most. We spent at least 15 minutes each day having social hour so they could talk to each other. They have missed each other so much and especially with my little ones, social emotional learning is what I spend a great deal of time with. These little kids NEED to be with their friends. I would reach out and contact my families at least 3 times a week to make sure that they are doing as well as they could. In a district that serves over 50,000 kids, only about 40 kids teachers were not able to get in contact with them. We busted our hineys to provide lessons on line, and even make packet of work and activities for the kids on the fly.

Now that ”back to school” and should kids be in the building or start virtually is a big hot topic my heart is breaking once again. I live by myself so I am not worried about if I get it. I have been safe and pretty much a hermit these past few months. But if my parents were still alive I would for sure be worried that I would catch it and bring it to them when I would go visit. As others have said little kids are germ factories and they pick up everything and SHARE everything! My parents need to send their kids to school because they are single parents and they have to go to work. I have had parents in the past dose their little one up on cough meds and send them to school because they have to go to work. I would get out their little mats and let them rest until they felt better because being at school with me was better than being at home or being left a friends house. With me they know that the are loved and protected.

Since I am the teacher of the year in my building I have been invited into the “safe restart” meetings with the district and you would not believe the cost that the district is going to need to spend to prepare the buildings and buses for the kids to come back. One member suggested having the kids go half day to cut down the numbers in the room and clean between groups, MMMMM sorry not happening in my district. Our buildings are not going to be fogged daily. Each school will get the fog mist once a week. They are fogging the buses twice a day. It is going to be up to me and my teaching assistant to be cleaning the rooms daily. I have been trying to stock up on Clorox wipes when I see them because is it going to be up to me to buy these supplies because my parents can’t/won‘t be providing them (that is if they could be found). We do have a cleaning service that comes in nightly and I hope and pray that they step up their game because they did an awful job of cleaning my room before this hot mess. Since my state relies on the tourist dollar, and tourism is down we are not going to have the funds and there is even talk of cutting funding to the schools.

I miss being with kids so much. So much I signed up to help with summer school and I am working with one little girl who has been struggling with her reading and I so wanted to jump through my computer screen this morning and hug her because she read her book perfectly! The look on her little face was priceless and I wish I took a picture to show her mom. But as I teacher I know that I am NOT a virtual teacher. March, April and May about made me into a drinker and spending an hour and half on line in a zoom meeting with this little rising first grader love has cemented to me that if I have to start the year off virtually I will go nuts. I need to be with the kids. I have to be with kids. I need to see their little faces, I need to be there to sit side by side and help them. It ain’t cutting it through the computer.

My heart goes out to the families who have to make this very difficult decision of sending their child to the physical school building, or starting virtually. In our state and my city our numbers are still rising and not falling. According to our state department of Ed and health department our numbers have to be falling not be in the “high” range for us to go back physically to the buildings. That is not happening in my city. We are too busy having our war on wearing or not wearing masks. Parents are worried and they should be especially if they have a child who is medically fragile. They want their child to be with their friends, but they also don’t want their child to get sick.

So please check in on your teacher friends, we are not OK, We are feeling all of the feelings. We want to be with children, we want to be in the classroom working with the children but we also don’t want to catch this and bring it home to our loved ones.

Again so sorry that this is so long.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Sorry I just reread and didn’t realize how long this is. So grab a snack 🍩 and a beverage ☕.

What a great thread. I just now took the time to read through everyone’s thoughts. I might need to take a few cooking lessons from some of you, and heavens knows my yard needs some divine intervention.

As a teacher in a 100% free and reduced title one school this virus has rocked my little world, and still does. I work with four year olds and when the world came falling down on March 13 in my state, my school made packets of work for the children for two weeks (and we even sent home extra school supplies we had in our rooms so the kids would have materials to use at home), thats how long they thought we would be gone. 2 weeks turned into bringing the families in to check out iPads and chrome books for online learning to use at home till the end of the year, just in case we don’t come back. We were in a holding pattern and after every 2 weeks we would find out if we get to go back into our classrooms or are staying home even longer.

With the bigger kids they could get themselves logged into zoom lessons or into their learning programs. With me I was at the mercy of the parents to log their kids into my daily zoom meetings, and I had zoom meetings at 2 different times of the day because that is what my parents asked for. But out of my 18 kids I would see 6-8, and some kids daily, and other kids about once a week. The group of little loves that I have the privilege of working with are the kids that NEED to be in the building for more than just academics. I have to say my district has been fantastic with having meal sites set up for the kids to go get breakfast and lunch bags, and even where my kids lived in the projects there was a bus that would go in daily to bring the kids “grab and go” bags for breakfast and lunch. The district also would park wifi buses in neighborhoods so the kids could have access to wifi. My district tried to make sure the kids had food in their bellies and free wifi so they could do their work. I think towards the end of may, food service served over a million meals to the children any age up to 18. Didn’t matter if the kids went to our district, they were fed.

Seeing my kids on zoom was the highlight of my day and I didn’t want to end the meeting. Being apart of the zoom meetings the kids were the ones who enjoyed seeing their friends the most. We spent at least 15 minutes each day having social hour so they could talk to each other. They have missed each other so much and especially with my little ones, social emotional learning is what I spend a great deal of time with. These little kids NEED to be with their friends. I would reach out and contact my families at least 3 times a week to make sure that they are doing as well as they could. In a district that serves over 50,000 kids, only about 40 kids teachers were not able to get in contact with them. We busted our hineys to provide lessons on line, and even make packet of work and activities for the kids on the fly.

Now that ”back to school” and should kids be in the building or start virtually is a big hot topic my heart is breaking once again. I live by myself so I am not worried about if I get it. I have been safe and pretty much a hermit these past few months. But if my parents were still alive I would for sure be worried that I would catch it and bring it to them when I would go visit. As others have said little kids are germ factories and they pick up everything and SHARE everything! My parents need to send their kids to school because they are single parents and they have to go to work. I have had parents in the past dose their little one up on cough meds and send them to school because they have to go to work. I would get out their little mats and let them rest until they felt better because being at school with me was better than being at home or being left a friends house. With me they know that the are loved and protected.

Since I am the teacher of the year in my building I have been invited into the “safe restart” meetings with the district and you would not believe the cost that the district is going to need to spend to prepare the buildings and buses for the kids to come back. One member suggested having the kids go half day to cut down the numbers in the room and clean between groups, MMMMM sorry not happening in my district. Our buildings are not going to be fogged daily. Each school will get the fog mist once a week. They are fogging the buses twice a day. It is going to be up to me and my teaching assistant to be cleaning the rooms daily. I have been trying to stock up on Clorox wipes when I see them because is it going to be up to me to buy these supplies because my parents can’t/won‘t be providing them (that is if they could be found). We do have a cleaning service that comes in nightly and I hope and pray that they step up their game because they did an awful job of cleaning my room before this hot mess. Since my state relies on the tourist dollar, and tourism is down we are not going to have the funds and there is even talk of cutting funding to the schools.

I miss being with kids so much. So much I signed up to help with summer school and I am working with one little girl who has been struggling with her reading and I so wanted to jump through my computer screen this morning and hug her because she read her book perfectly! The look on her little face was priceless and I wish I took a picture to show her mom. But as I teacher I know that I am NOT a virtual teacher. March, April and May about made me into a drinker and spending an hour and half on line in a zoom meeting with this little rising first grader love has cemented to me that if I have to start the year off virtually I will go nuts. I need to be with the kids. I have to be with kids. I need to see their little faces, I need to be there to sit side by side and help them. It ain’t cutting it through the computer.

My heart goes out to the families who have to make this very difficult decision of sending their child to the physical school building, or starting virtually. In our state and my city our numbers are still rising and not falling. According to our state department of Ed and health department our numbers have to be falling not be in the “high” range for us to go back physically to the buildings. That is not happening in my city. We are too busy having our war on wearing or not wearing masks. Parents are worried and they should be especially if they have a child who is medically fragile. They want their child to be with their friends, but they also don’t want their child to get sick.

So please check in on your teacher friends, we are not OK, We are feeling all of the feelings. We want to be with children, we want to be in the classroom working with the children but we also don’t want to catch this and bring it home to our loved ones.

This, folks, is commitment. Thank you for this communication about how much you are into what is needed now.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You have a gift and are fortunate to have found it, to be serving in exactly the right role. Work becomes a joy when you’re in the right place. Thank-you for sharing this.

Reactions: Jellybean

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Trust me....

-A good blender
-Six eggs
-1/2 cup flour
-1/4 cup oil
-1/4 cup milk
Pinch of salt
Tsp of vanilla (I use the syrup)
1 cup small curd cottage cheese. Yes. Cottage cheese...

Blend it very well so there are no little lumps of the cheese. The batter will be just a hair thicker than crepe batter. Make the little dollar-sized pancakes. Be prepared to eat your weight in pancakes.

PS - The batter does not store well. Cook them all. They reheat easily and are just as good.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts

Again, thank you for your input.

I have no direct skin in the back to school discussion. My youngest is 34. I do have six grandchildren. I was talking with my daughter earlier this week. She has four aged 9-15. They went all virtual in the spring and my daughter had to close down her business to work with her children and virtual learning. They are now expected to go virtual for at least the first 9-weeks.

As an educator, what are your thoughts on "micro-schools". The teacher teaches virtually, but instead of having 30 little zoom screens, the parents' band together and have 5-6 kids in their home, testing and safety protocols followed. And parents rotate, with each parent taking one day to act as a proctor, if you will, making sure the students are actually working and paying attention, not texting their friends, which was an issue for my 15-year old grandson.

Conceptually, what are your thoughts on something like this? Would you as an educator feel that is a viable possibility and, IMPHO, might provide a bit more structure for students?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #128

YOU are my Hero! I cannot thank you enough. Truly, thank you, Jellybean. Be safe and don't let the MASKHOLES get to you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well, to say that 2020 has been a tumultuous year would be a gross understatement. In a year that would see me finally graduate after five years of University was something I was immensely excited for. Furthermore, after ordering my first Porsche in February, words like overjoyed and thrilled would be a significant understatement. Admittedly, my final trimester was fairly turbulent from the sheer pressure of trying to navigate major assignments, whilst watching this horrid virus envelope the globe. Thankfully, I made it through (whilst experiencing every conceivable emotion), and was able to finish my degree - something that I'm incredibly grateful for. The Macan arriving in a few weeks is very much the cherry on top.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Trust me....

-A good blender
-Six eggs
-1/2 cup flour
-1/4 cup oil
-1/4 cup milk
Pinch of salt
Tsp of vanilla (I use the syrup)
1 cup small curd cottage cheese. Yes. Cottage cheese...

Blend it very well so there are no little lumps of the cheese. The batter will be just a hair thicker than crepe batter. Make the little dollar-sized pancakes. Be prepared to eat your weight in pancakes.

PS - The batter does not store well. Cook them all. They reheat easily and are just as good.

Enjoy.
Screen shot and saving for a later date when I can gather the needed materials. Can’t wait to try these

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
@dkh0331 I really like the idea of smaller groups of kids with parents banding together If they can‘t be in the classroom. I am part of a bunch of ”mom” swap pages on Facebook and these mini mirco groups are a hot topic and lots of families are banding together to make this happen for their little ones In my city. Some schools are so large that they can’t bring everyone back in at once and my district has said that the first group of kids to come back face to face (if that is what their parents would like) are the children who will need it the most or struggled the most during distance learning last year. The latest I have heard is that my district is going to bring only 25% of the kids back into the physical building and then the rest of the kids will be remote/virtual.

If heaven forbid I do have to start virtually smaller zoom groups is the way to go for sure. You can help more kids in a small group vs the whole group. When I did my zooms I had one little girl who just loved to talk and even if I asked for someone else to answer she was answering not giving the other kids a chance. I would mute her and this little smart love figured out how to unmute herself. It was a battle of wills between her and me muting and unmusing. 😂. As of right now I still don’t know if I get to go into my physical classroom with little ones. I do know that my districts early childhood office has just sent out a 6 week plan for remote learning, 😢 and what they want us to be teaching and when. At least we are getting support and this is perfect for a new or younger teachers.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Well, to say that 2020 has been a tumultuous year would be a gross understatement. In a year that would see me finally graduate after five years of University was something I was immensely excited for. Furthermore, after ordering my first Porsche in February, words like overjoyed and thrilled would be a significant understatement. Admittedly, my final trimester was fairly turbulent from the sheer pressure of trying to navigate major assignments, whilst watching this horrid virus envelope the globe. Thankfully, I made it through (whilst experiencing every conceivable emotion), and was able to finish my degree - something that I'm incredibly grateful for. The Macan arriving in a few weeks is very much the cherry on top.
Holy SMOKES! A huge Congratulations on finishing your degree especially during this time.
That is a HUGE accomplishment and you should be so proud. I can’t wait to see your new Macan when she comes in and I can live through you. Yes you are so correct the new car is the cherry on top of your ice cream sundae. 🍦🍨

Reactions: ///Bruce and SJG

·
Registered
356 Posts
Holy SMOKES! A huge Congratulations on finishing your degree especially during this time.
That is a HUGE accomplishment and you should be so proud. I can’t wait to see your new Macan when she comes in and I can live through you. Yes you are so correct the new car is the cherry on top of your ice cream sundae. 🍦🍨
Many thanks! No doubt, there's always a silver lining to every situation - even in the midst of a global pandemic. Thank you for sharing your incredible story too - keep up the marvellous work!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
When I went in to get my teeth cleaned after they opened it up my dentist looked like Darth Vader.
she had more safety gear on than Carter has Little Liver pills. It felt plenty safe.
That's great to know - such immense respect for essential workers. Whether they're saving lives, educating us, or looking after our teeth, they all deserve a round of applause.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Likely since a teeth cleaning atomizes all those potentially infectious particles. Yum.
Mine quit using the ultrasonic method for that reason. Back to scraping with a pick, which wasn't bad with a good technician.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
You are lucky you could get in to see your dentist. My dentist called a couple months ago to set up my appointment and the soonest I could get in was September 1st. As I was shooting the breeze on the phone with the office manager she told me you wouldn’t be how rude people have been to them for making them wait to get an appointment. So my wondering to these people who had to wait like the rest of us, what do they expect when the dentist was closed from March through May and they have to get all these people in?

I just went the other day to get my eyes checked and when I walked up to the eye doctor they had the door to the lobby locked, made sure you had an appointment. The poor lady at the front desk was locking and unlocking the door all afternoon and of course getting a pump of hand sanitizer before and after each lock/unlock. Asked 3 questions and got temp taken before I could actually walk all the way in. No forms to fill out, questions were asked of me across the little lobby about if I have moved, insurance changed. There was two things they didn’t do that they have done in the past. Normally the assistant would put the new contacts on my eyes for me, I had to do that which I was 100% happy that she didn’t, and they didn’t use the one machine where it checks the pressure of my eyes with this little round blue light thingy that actually touches the eye ball. Which of course I was totally fine with that not being done. My eye doctor took more time looking at my eyes through his little hand held magnifying glass and lights.

·
Super Moderator
8,663 Posts
My dentist called a couple months ago to set up my appointment and the soonest I could get in was September 1st.
Your lucky to get date so soon. Although state dependent, the first wave of cancelled appointments began in March. But they didn't notify people until just before the appointment. So if it was in June, they had already backfilled dates into October. The second problem is people quitting. I know two people in the business who simply quit. Then there is the extra $600. People have said they see no reason to go back if they are paid to stay home. Thats a real thing. That applies everywhere but in a high risk industry, I'd imagine thats a huge disincentive.

I just went the other day to get my eyes checked and when I walked up to the eye doctor they had the door to the lobby locked, made sure you had an appointment. The poor lady at the front desk was locking and unlocking the door all afternoon and of course getting a pump of hand sanitizer before and after each lock/unlock. Asked 3 questions and got temp taken before I could actually walk all the way in. No forms to fill out, questions were asked of me across the little lobby about if I have moved, insurance changed. There was two things they didn’t do that they have done in the past. Normally the assistant would put the new contacts on my eyes for me, I had to do that which I was 100% happy that she didn’t, and they didn’t use the one machine where it checks the pressure of my eyes with this little round blue light thingy that actually touches the eye ball. Which of course I was totally fine with that not being done. My eye doctor took more time looking at my eyes through his little hand held magnifying glass and lights.
I have been to this. Appt was cancelled, pushed way off. Finally got in. They were very good with social distancing. Office on a higher floor and patients only permitted to go up, no visitors. Checkin was done online. No physical paperwork. Usually the waiting rooms are packed dense. Only one other person present. You had the room to yourself. Hand sanitizer everywhere. The blue light thing is eye pressure. They did do that test but not with that device. They had a new device that was touchless but gave the eye pressure.

Other MD appoints are virtual and I think pointless. They don't check your vitals. They don't know if your blood pressure is high. I know for a fact that potential fatal things that are caught with routine checkups would not be caught This is not good. Very bad. I'd like to know how many people have died because of these virtual visits.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts