Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Average fuel consumption = Test mileage/ Total gallons of gasoline used during the test period
Let us use the following as an example:

Initial mileage is = 24,500mi
Final mileage is = 25,000mi

Test Mileage = (25,000-24,500)
Test Mileage = 500mi

I conducted this test for a 7-day period

Day 1 = 1 gallons
Day 2 = 2 gallons
Day 3 = 4 gallons
Day 4 = 3 gallons
Day 5 = 4 gallons
Day 6 = 2 gallons
Day 7 = 4 gallons

Total test gallons = ( 1 + 2 + 4 + 3 + 4 +2 +4)

Total test gallons = 20 gallons

Average fuel consumption = Test mileage/ Total Test gallons

Average fuel consumption = 500mi/20gallons

Average fuel consumption = 25miles/gallon

How do I know if this calculated average fuel consumption is right, is there an additional yardstick I could leverage?

· Registered
1,686 Posts
The weakness in your example is how can you know precisely how many gallons you are using on a daily basis. Why not just do the calculation when ever you fill up. Use the miles between fill ups and the total gallons at each fill up.

· Registered
2021 Macan
203 Posts
The weakness in your example is how can you know precisely how many gallons you are using on a daily basis. Why not just do the calculation when ever you fill up. Use the miles between fill ups and the total gallons at each fill up.
Agree. Better to measure b/t fill ups vs. per day is my advice.

Reactions: SANDRO

· Registered
644 Posts
I go a tell you my 2016Macan S got crap gas mileage no matter how I drove it. I live in Arlington va 3 miles outside of Washington DC do mostly stop light to stop light driving and I got 120-150 miles to a half tank. I always fill up at a 1/2 tank, also I do. It use the start/stop feature. I just think turbo V6 engines do not get good gas mileage on stop and go driving. My Cayman R which had a 3.4L flat 6 got 220-250 to the 1/2 tank. Hopefully my 2023 Macan S gets better gas mileage but I am not holding my breathe. Since I don’t have my new S yet and it is sitting at the dealer lot it is getting the best gas mileage I have ever seen because it is not moving so it is not sucking down any gas 😆.

· Premium Member
2022 Macan S
151 Posts
You're overthinking this. As said, it's best to go fill up to fill up and then calculate based on miles driven.
There are many variables, such as which car you have, your type of driving, style (aggressiveness) of driving, even the climate you're in. None of which you've described.

· Registered
2018 Macan GTS
30 Posts
My dashboard lies. I match it with the real numbers, and what I see on the dashboard is wishful thinking.
This is true. Dashboard calculations in my car are always 1.5-2 MPG too high.

And it’s laughable that my range after a fill-up is 540+ miles. The best I’ve ever gotten on a tank is 410 miles. Normal range is actually about 375 miles per tank.

2018 GTS.

· Registered
19 Posts
@SANDRO
If I get you right you are trying to be sure that your vehicle’s fuel consumption rate is normal and not unusually high. If this is the case you can make a comparison with the data provided by fueleconomy.gov which is readily available on every car's window sticker.

The window sticker also known as the Monroney sticker can be generated from Porsche Window Sticker and or Monroney Label, either way, you could find a reasonable yardstick for comparison.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts