Porsche Macan Forum banner
161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
That's the noise in my wife's Macan. She likes the sound. Says it sounds like a Tiger purring ready to growl.
I am afraid that it's the result of some kind of defect. :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good to hear it is a lasting fix.

I wouldn't say it's a 100% lasting fix. I had my cardan shaft replaced last year. One of the first I think. Anyway, it's starting to show up again. While replacing the shaft did indeed get rid of the sound initially, it has returned. Not as bad as last year but it's definitely back.

I'll probably get it looked at again next winter. While we are in a cold snap here, this winter has been extremely mild for us.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That's the noise in my wife's Macan. She likes the sound. Says it sounds like a Tiger purring ready to growl.
Ok @jzwu and @Vrei, you need to get your birds straight. Pigeons 'coo', owls 'hoot'. In my case, my wife likes 'cooing', she doesn't give a hoot about the rest.:laugh:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a 100% lasting fix. I had my cardan shaft replaced last year. One of the first I think. Anyway, it's starting to show up again. While replacing the shaft did indeed get rid of the sound initially, it has returned. Not as bad as last year but it's definitely back.

I'll probably get it looked at again next winter. While we are in a cold snap here, this winter has been extremely mild for us.
Interesting.

I just came back from the dealer. Got the usual cannot duplicate. Won't do anything about it. They also claimed they have never replaced a cardan shaft in a Macan. Spoke with the tech and took him out for a drive. He can hear and feel #2 in my post #151 on page 16 http://www.macanforum.com/forum/1427858-post151.html
and claimed it is normal. Didn't hear # 1 because it is not cold enough and the car has not been parked out in the cold long enough. He said he looked thru paperwork and claimed found nothing that addresses my complaint?!? My dealer actually thinks it might be cold fluids related, not parts.

Anyone else can post more paper work and numbers about the bulletin?

Fwiw, they also did WF 80 Program All Wheel Drive, which didn't change anything either.

I guess I'll wait some more and see what your dealer says about yours since it will be the second time they fix yours, if they do.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe not literally a TSB but they should find:

Eliminating noise symptoms - Replacing cardan shaft (Whistling noises from the cardan shaft area / SY1415)

Symptoms Customers complain about noises from the cardan shaft area:

• Whining noises while cold < 10 °C (< 50 °F) in the speed range between 35...65 km/h (20...40 mph)

or

• Whining noises with a light engine load in the speed range between 60...65 km/h (37...40 mph)

or

• Whistling noises with a light engine load in the speed range between 150...160 km/h (95...100 mph).

I get a humming/booming noise at 147-153 kph and a whistling noise at 157-164 or thereabouts.

Could this gave something to do with the cardan shaft ??

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Anyone else can post more paper work and numbers about the bulletin?

I already posted the title and summary.

Eliminating noise symptoms - Replacing cardan shaft (Whistling noises from the cardan shaft area / SY1415)

It's filed under transmission and noise. One of about 2 documents

If they can't find it they are lying or incompetent. Get a new dealer.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I already posted the title and summary.

It's filed under transmission and noise. One of about 2 documents

If they can't find it they are lying or incompetent. Get a new dealer.
I think you are right. I gave them the number SY 1415 and they said that number doesn't make sense!?! Do you think you can post a pdf of the bulletin?

Basically, they claimed if they can't hear it, they can't and won't fix it.

I'll just wait until it is really cold and bring it back. Difficult where I live to go to another dealer:crying:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure if this will be any help but here is my work order - no TSB #. I had gotten PCNA involved with a case #, videos of the noise, etc. to get it fixed. My dealer would do nothing without Porsche telling them what to do, even when they heard the noise.

Your dealership sounds a bit reluctant in hunting down problems, similar to my experience. I left my car overnight so it was cold and I had my wife drop me in the morning at the dealer to drive it with them. The tech at first tried to dismiss the noise, but luckily it got significantly louder and he said it was not normal. BUT, they still could not do anything since they had nothing in a TSB that would tell them what to do. I waited for another forum member with a more aggressive dealership to get it fixed and then was able to get PCNA to approve the Cardan shaft replacement. My noise was coming from just behind the armrest in the middle hump of the car. Get someone to ride in the back seat and put their ear to the hump on the floor to see if they can verify the noise is coming from that location. I am extremely happy the noise is gone now.

I was a bit surprised by the lack of help from my dealership on tracking down the issue. If it is not throwing a code or your car is stranded, it is hard to get anything done. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I think you are right. I gave them the number SY 1415 and they said that number doesn't make sense!?! Do you think you can post a pdf of the bulletin?

Basically, they claimed if they can't hear it, they can't and won't fix it.

I'll just wait until it is really cold and bring it back. Difficult where I live to go to another dealer:crying:

I can find the document link with a free (zero credit balance) PIWIS account.

Look under Macan - Information media - SY symptom based repair information. It's one of just 6 documents.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Replaced the shaft. In terms of the noise, I can hardly hear it (significant reduction in noise). I will have to wait and see if it gets louder as I drive more.

On the other hand, I got my AC vent noise and fuel line issues sorted out.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
That's normal for all DI motors really. Mine also doesn't do a chirp or anything high pitched related to RPM's. It's like a very deep and low, subtle humming song, like a boat "horn" at a great distance. I don't really think much of it but mainly want to ensure it has no functional detriments or can increase.
The interior is so quiet that it's easy to hear anything really.
Yes to both of those.
The problem for me of course is that the distant boat horn keeps interrupting the otherwise peaceful serenity of the Macan's interior. I haven't made any long trips yet, but when I do I'd like to have the option of a Comfort mode, radio-off, no-talking, blissful quiet. Waiting for that hum to drift in and out is like becoming aware of and then waiting for the sound of someone snoring in the room next door. It's not that loud and you should be able to ignore it, but once you notice it it's hard not to start anticipating and actively listening for it. Grrrr!

I'm having the exact same issue with my 21" Pirelli P Zeros and it's pretty annoying. As in your case lowering the tire pressure helps but in no way is it gone. It's just a sound that doesn't blend in and feels like it shouldn't be there. Did this get better over time in your case? Did you get used to it? What brand of tire and size are you running on? I'm thinking of switching to Michelins or even trying smaller wheels.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I'm thinking if the sound of big wide tires humming over the asphalt or concrete bothers you so much you should either :

A. Get smaller narrower wheels

or

B. Get a quiet sedan like a Lexus or S class MB or an electric car

All CSUV's are noisier because they are generally heavier, taller and on bigger tires etc...Pair that with a Porsche turbo engine , big wheels and other Macan "noise gremlins" ...Oi Vay , you'll never be happy with the noise level.

I write that with all due respect.

I love the sound of big tires and turbines, angry engines and all the little gremlins that they may cause . But, that's me . Good luck :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: iszatso and Hokie

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
@WHT TGR
I appreciate your input. But I'm not sure what to do with this advice. I'm very happy with the car. But I'm obviously not the only one hearing an off sound mixed in with the general big wheel humming, turbo whistle and other pleasing sounds. I have experience with other SUVs on big wheels and never heard a boat horn like sound.

Since you don't seem to have that issue what tire size and brand are you running if I may ask?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
@WHT TGR
I appreciate your input. But I'm not sure what to do with this advice. I'm very happy with the car. But I'm obviously not the only one hearing an off sound mixed in with the general big wheel humming, turbo whistle and other pleasing sounds. I have experience with other SUVs on big wheels and never heard a boat horn like sound.

Since you don't seem to have that issue what tire size and brand are you running if I may ask?

Hi, I'm not sure that I'm giving advise as much as just commenting about noisy tires and CSUVs . I'm tainted in the noise department, having before driven an ML AMG with Brabus sport exhaust on 295x20's front and rear before my Macan and everything seems quiet to me so keep that in mind . I hear road noise and little hoots, hums, whines, burbles, and who knows what on the Macan but not enough to bother me; at all.

I have OEM Michelin Lattitude Sport 3 , Summer 20's .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Hokie

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure that I'm giving advise as much as just commenting about noisy tires and CSUVs . I'm tainted in the noise department, having before driven an ML AMG with Brabus sport exhaust on 295x20's front and rear before my Macan and everything seems quiet to me so keep that in mind . I hear road noise and little hoots, hums, whines, burbles, and who knows what on the Macan but not enough to bother me; at all.

I have OEM Michelin Lattitude Sport 3 , Summer 20's .
Thanks! I have read that the Michelin are less vocal then the Pirellis. I only used Bridgestone and Pirelli in the recent past and I have had the P Zeros on my Camaro as well. But there you can't hear anything anyway because the exhaust supersedes everything. Including any conversation. ;)
Don't get me wrong. It's not that I can't live with the faint hoot. It's just a little unusual from my past experience. When it's time to change tires I'm going with the Michelins and suspect it will be much better compared to the Pirellis.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with my 21" Pirelli P Zeros and it's pretty annoying. As in your case lowering the tire pressure helps but in no way is it gone. It's just a sound that doesn't blend in and feels like it shouldn't be there. Did this get better over time in your case? Did you get used to it? What brand of tire and size are you running on? I'm thinking of switching to Michelins or even trying smaller wheels.
@trusted, yes - it did improve over time. I have roughly 8k miles on my S now and I guesstimate that the tires (20" Michelin All-Seasons) have maybe twice that mileage left on them. I still notice the drumming noise on concrete road surfaces if I actively listen for it, but it's substantially less than it was when I had only 1 - 2k miles on the car.

Here's a cut-and-paste from some of my earlier posts:

I believe the following statements are generally true (there will be exceptions of course):

1. All-Season tires are quieter than Summer tires.
2. Narrow tires are quieter than wide tires.
3. High-profile tires are quieter than low-profile tires (=> 19" Macans are quieter than 20" Macans).

In addition, for the specific drumming noise issue I'm experiencing the following is also true (at least for my car):

4. Low tire pressure is quieter than high tire pressure.

The link below covers the tire noise topic quite nicely.

Noisy Tires -- Causes and Solutions

From our perspective it describes two distinct sources of tire noise:

1. The interaction of the tread with the road, including trapping and compressing air;
2. The air-filled void inside the tire acting like a resonance chamber.

I think the second one is what caused my drumming noise.

By the way, 2 - 3 years ago 2013 Pirelli developed noise-cancelling tires for some Audis.

PIRELLI NOISE CANCELLING SYSTEM | Pirelli

From their blurb it appears to be aimed primarily at noise generated by the tread compressing air against the road surface, but I'd guess it would dampen or kill any resonances inside the tire as well. Unfortunately tires with that noise-cancelling system don't appear to be available for Porsches yet.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'm thinking if the sound of big wide tires humming over the asphalt or concrete bothers you so much you should either :

A. Get smaller narrower wheels

or

B. Get a quiet sedan like a Lexus or S class MB or an electric car

All CSUV's are noisier because they are generally heavier, taller and on bigger tires etc...Pair that with a Porsche turbo engine , big wheels and other Macan "noise gremlins" ...Oi Vay , you'll never be happy with the noise level.

I write that with all due respect.

I love the sound of big tires and turbines, angry engines and all the little gremlins that they may cause . But, that's me . Good luck :)
@WHT TGR, just to clarify - the noise that bothered me so much (and I think @trusted as well) wasn't the regular tread noise caused by the tires rolling down the road - as you suggested that comes with the territory.

The drumming sound (for me anyway) was more like a panel that resonated intermittently over some surfaces. From a noise perspective it changed the interior of the Macan from a luxury SUV to an empty slab-sided van. That's an exaggeration of course, but it matches my perception of the sound quite well.

161 - 180 of 204 Posts