Porsche Macan Forum banner
201 - 204 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2016 Macan Turbo I just bought is now doing this. I hear it between speeds of 20mph and above. The strange thing is that it's an on and off sound between 1-2 second intervals and as described before coming from the driver side front wheel. I'm very sensitive to it and I'm afraid I won't be able to just live with it. Tried the tire PSI trick and not much help. Can anyone with certainty say there is a fix for this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got mine checked out. The sound might be different - mine is from the left side A pillar area - above 40mph and it is like low frequency vibration. I went to dealer just told them the A pillar area had noise and showed them my recorded video. They just did courtesy tightening of the A pillar. No change. I went to windshield place who recently replaced windshield they said no because windshield. I went back to dealer and asked the technician to drive the car. He said either tire or wheel bearing. He pointed to my front tires -- inside portion outer surface had some bumps.

Since the tire thread was around 4/32, I let them changed to tire and did alignment. Noise was gone. The service technician said I might hit a pothole then the alignment is off then tire got some deformation then the noise came (road noise - in my case, only obvious >= 40mph). Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 2021 macan gts has exactly the same problem like Jammer.

1、owl noise starts only when car is warm(driving for some kilometers)
2、noise neither related to road speed nor engine speed
3、noise only related to road type
4、I used my iPhone to record the driving sound, then bandpassfilter the sound by logic pro x, I found the owl noise was about 200hz, different from tire noise(50-100hz).

my dealer called porsche china's technical support, staff recorded my driving sound at different car position.
he told me that, noise maybe come from the intake resonator, which would influence the carframe. he said the noise's frequency was about 180hz.
now I have to wait for this staff's report of the owl noise.(the staff and I found that, some macan gts and turbo have the same problem, so he will test some other gts.)

Jammer‘s description of this noise was so precise and distinguishable. thanks a lot!

I posted the text below in the Faint chirping noise at idle? thread yesterday in response to one of the comments there, but as @TripleZ said when he started this thread the chirping and hoot owl noises (wait a minute: chirping + hoot owl => bird infestations?) might not be related, so I'm posting it here as well. This is basically an update to my earlier post in this thread.

I've been getting something very similar to the sound on the @TripleZ and @SMLBOB videos from day one. I've only got about 500 miles on my S just now, but I've heard enough of the sound in my car to make the following observations:

1. It sounds like a resonance.

2. I'd describe it as a quiet droning sound that fades in for a few seconds then out again.

3. I've noticed it at speeds as low as 30mph and as high as 80mph, all at relatively low rpm and under steady-state, light throttle conditions.

4. Neither the intensity nor the frequency change at all at different road speeds.

5. Driving along a concrete-paved freeway at 70 - 75mph, the sound often seems to be triggered for a few seconds when I go over a slight bump or anomaly in the surface (such as the joints between concrete slabs).

6. The sound doesn't appear to be directly related to the engine speed.

7. The sound is somewhat similar to tire or gear noise I've heard before on other vehicles, but I don't think that's what it is here. It doesn't seem to correlate with changing road surfaces, and it comes and goes over the course of a few seconds even at a steady speed over an unchanging surface.

8. I've heard the hoot owl sound in temperatures from 50 - 70F. I haven't noticed any correlation between the sound and the ambient temperature.

9. My S has AS/PASM, PTV+, 20" Michelin All-Seasons, roof rails, sound-insulating glass, no pano roof.

10. I don't really have any feel for where the sound is coming from. If I had to speculate I'd say the front left of the car, but that might just be because that's the corner I'm sitting in.

Bullet points 1 through 8 above would be consistent with it being a resonance, maybe in a panel, flap or gate somewhere.

As @Firf said in the other thread, without this sound the Macan would be beautifully quiet inside. Next time I'm out I'm going to follow his suggestion and switch Sport Mode on and off to see if that makes any difference in my car. I'll also try a few other things to change the environment a little bit, such as folding down the rear seats and removing the parcel shelf, paddle-shifting to another gear, adjusting the AC, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1、noise(intermittent drone) starts only when car is warm(driving for some kilometers)
2、noise neither related to road speed nor engine speed
3、noise only related to road type
4、I used my iPhone to record the driving sound, then bandpassfilter the sound by logic pro x, I found the noise was about 200hz, different from tire noise(50-100hz).
5、no noise when idle
6、I found that some gts and turbo had the same noise
7、I tried Jammer's method to change the tire pressure, but didn't work
8、can hear this noise above 30km/h, also on the freeway

this is my original driving sound:

this is my bandpassfiltered(band at about 200hz) sound:

my dealer called porsche china's technical support, staff recorded my driving sound at different car position.
he told me that, noise maybe come from the intake resonator, which would influence the carframe. he said the noise's frequency was about 180hz.
now I have to wait for this staff's report of the noise.(the staff and I found that, some macan gts and turbo have the same problem, so he will test some other gts.)

my gts's noise is precisely the same as Jammer's:
"Hoot Owl" at Speed Noise

201 - 204 of 204 Posts