Porsche Macan Forum banner
181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
@WHT TGR, just to clarify - the noise that bothered me so much (and I think @trusted as well) wasn't the regular tread noise caused by the tires rolling down the road - as you suggested that comes with the territory.

The drumming sound (for me anyway) was more like a panel that resonated intermittently over some surfaces. From a noise perspective it changed the interior of the Macan from a luxury SUV to an empty slab-sided van. That's an exaggeration of course, but it matches my perception of the sound quite well.

Yikes ! It sounds like ( pun intended) it will take a another visit to the service department and or body shop . Sorry guys; It's not fun when one wants to enjoy something like ones car and there's a caveat to it . I hope you both get it resolved quickly . Good juju going your way .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Jammer

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yikes ! It sounds like ( pun intended) it will take a another visit to the service department and or body shop . Sorry guys; It's not fun when one wants to enjoy something like ones car and there's a caveat to it . I hope you both get it resolved quickly . Good juju going your way.
Thanks @WHT TGR ! Fortunately for me that problem is no longer a problem, and hopefully @trusted 's situation will resolve itself fairly quickly as well.

For what it's worth, in the early days when I thought it might be a panel resonating I was thinking about finding the culprit and sticking a thick self-adhesive rubber sheet to the back of it. When I narrowed the source of the noise down to the tires I considered squirting tire sealant into each tire to (hopefully) change the dynamics of the resonance. I'm glad it didn't come to that as it probably wouldn't have worked and might have caused other issues. An old lady who swallowed a fly comes to mind as a cautionary tale.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks @WHT TGR ! Fortunately for me that problem is no longer a problem, and hopefully @trusted 's situation will resolve itself fairly quickly as well.
Just a quick update on my "situation". The tires' off sound is now almost completely gone at ~1400 miles. I'm starting to suspect it is some kind of tire irregularity that had to be worked out. Maybe a flat spot caused during transit? Lowering the tire pressure to the correct levels helped resolving the issue quicker I'm sure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anyone found a lasting fix for good? I've just heard this noise for the first time yesterday when the car's started cold and not moving. I think it disappears after it's driven and warmed up.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Replaced the shaft. In terms of the noise, I can hardly hear it (significant reduction in noise). I will have to wait and see if it gets louder as I drive more.

On the other hand, I got my AC vent noise and fuel line issues sorted out.
I wouldn't say it's a 100% lasting fix. I had my cardan shaft replaced last year. One of the first I think. Anyway, it's starting to show up again. While replacing the shaft did indeed get rid of the sound initially, it has returned. Not as bad as last year but it's definitely back.

I'll probably get it looked at again next winter. While we are in a cold snap here, this winter has been extremely mild for us.
Did you guys get the noise again when cold? Just wondering if replacing the cardan shaft is a lasting fix.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Did you guys get the noise again when cold? Just wondering if replacing the cardan shaft is a lasting fix.
Came back the day I got it on the way back from the dealer.

After several months of driving, the noise is almost gone but still there. Beginning to wonder if it's something else...

·
Registered
635 Posts
So far so good this winter. Had some good -11ish days didn't hear it.

/knocks on wood
That's good news.

Came back the day I got it on the way back from the dealer.

After several months of driving, the noise is almost gone but still there. Beginning to wonder if it's something else...
Interesting.

Just curious about what other owners are finding. Not a lot of late model owners posting. Maybe it is fixed at the factory now.

Mine is MY 2015, almost 2 years old, 28,000km. I think the noise is coming on with temperature that doesn't have to be that cold any more.

Brought it in last winter, dealer didn't think there is a problem. Going to wait a bit more, trying to see what other owners are finding.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well I think now my car got this noise....it appeared at 23000 miles, 6000 miles later it is still there., I got new tires but the noise is still there......it appears at 64 mph and ends at 75 mph.......it is not engine or air vent related, since if i change the engine rpm getting into another gear, and no change in the noise pitch
It stops between those speeds only if i put the car in neutral, or if I am driving in the economy mode and i am not long accelerating....as soon as the engine disengages......no torque showing in the dashboard...(rpm 700) the noise stops.....could it be maybe transfer case related???....I will tell the service advisor when I take the car for maintenance at 30000 miles

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure if this will be any help but here is my work order - no TSB #. I had gotten PCNA involved with a case #, videos of the noise, etc. to get it fixed. My dealer would do nothing without Porsche telling them what to do, even when they heard the noise.

Your dealership sounds a bit reluctant in hunting down problems, similar to my experience. I left my car overnight so it was cold and I had my wife drop me in the morning at the dealer to drive it with them. The tech at first tried to dismiss the noise, but luckily it got significantly louder and he said it was not normal. BUT, they still could not do anything since they had nothing in a TSB that would tell them what to do. I waited for another forum member with a more aggressive dealership to get it fixed and then was able to get PCNA to approve the Cardan shaft replacement. My noise was coming from just behind the armrest in the middle hump of the car. Get someone to ride in the back seat and put their ear to the hump on the floor to see if they can verify the noise is coming from that location. I am extremely happy the noise is gone now.

I was a bit surprised by the lack of help from my dealership on tracking down the issue. If it is not throwing a code or your car is stranded, it is hard to get anything done. Good luck.

We just a preowned car and we heard the whistling noise too, its like coming from something rotating...on and off, but once you hear. Its not rattle noise and other but its a whistle noises with pitching tone high end note and low end note and when car stop moving, noise is gone..and i would say the noise is back on about 85% of during driving...

Is this something i can print out and give to my dealer? Is thus bulletin aware from the porsche ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just want to add up another car in the list, my is 15 macan s 30k miles. And i heard the whistle noises around gear 5,6 and loudness at gear 6 around 40 to 50 mph and took to dealer and they are confirm its from drive shaft..order part next date.

From South Florida Tampa.

Advisor said it was bearing driving shaft..and i ask him why is it defective or was it design to have defective because i hate to see when im out of warranty and need to replace again few years because it just 3 years from 2015 so then he said it wont ever comeback once you replace it..i was like so was it new part then? He said he doesn’t know...

Any idea? And any one that has replaced and does it come back or make noises again ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,539 Posts
I've been able to better characterize the noise...

It seems to do it once the car is warmed up - then it doesn't matter which gear it's in, and
it makes the noise at 1200 RPM. If I hold the RPMs there, it keeps doing it. One reason the
sound is transient is that one doesn't typically drive at 1200 RPM - it's a range that's passed
through before upshifting to the next higher gear.

Below 1200 RPM and above, I do not hear the sound.

I don't know whether I'm getting better attuned to it or it's getting progressively worse, however
I seem to be hearing it more often.

Perhaps one reason I hadn't ehard it much in the past is because I'm typically playing music,
which would most likely mask the sound.

;)

·
Super Moderator
3,539 Posts
Has anyone in the greater Boston area had this issue resolved at a Porsche dealer?

Reviewing the postings in this thread, I can see that some members have had it fixed elsewhere.
I have an appointment coming up to address the issue. I would prefer not to go in, have it
recognized and then be told, "We will have to order the parts. You will need to make another
appointment.".

I've just gone through that exercise for the exhaust clamp rattle. Despite providing the dealer
with a sound recording and describing the (well-known - although apparently not...) problem.
I took my Macan in, the tech heard it and agreed the issue was as described - and they would
have to order the part - necessitating another service visit.

Thanks for any replies!

;)

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I've just gone through that exercise for the exhaust clamp rattle.

;)
PSEE, is there a thread about this? I apologize if I missed it, but I just started hearing something that sounds like it could definitely be a loose exhaust clamp. Had a similar issue on my 996 that I was able to fix myself by doing nothing more than tracking down the offending clamp and tightening it. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, after having my beloved Macan at the dealership for......5 weeks!!!.......today they finally arrived at the conclusion that the weird noise is just "normal" in these cars......they told me that they tried two other Macans and they all do the same weird "howling" noise at 65 mph.....I don't know what to think but before 25 K miles there wasn't any noise at all......

I think I will have to get that extended warranty for sure or just go ahead and trade it for a Turbo.......

At least they will replace the radio or PCM unit, they tried to reprogram it but the thing still doesn't get Sirius XM.....maybe if they install the newer unit I could have Apple car Play in the Infotainment system??....just wondering.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
maybe if they install the newer unit I could have Apple car Play in the Infotainment system??....just wondering.
When I had to have the head unit replaced in my ‘16, I asked the dealer if they could give me the newer head unit with Apple CarPlay, and in fact I told them that I would pay any incremental cost. They told me that it can’t be done because the new head units are not compatible with the wiring in pre MY17 cars.

My own suspicion is that it can be accomplished with some difficulty, and they simply did not want to be bothered figuring how to do it. If PCNA were to publish the procedure, I bet that would change things, but there is no reason to expect that will happen because of course they would prefer to sell you another new Macan instead.

I bet at some point when we start to see some used newer version head units start to be available we will see some aftermarket audio shop or some enterprising, knowledgeable forum member figure out how to do this, and that it’s not terribly complicated. I would think that few owners are going to pay the exorbitant cost of a brand new head unit.

Reactions: Kannassee

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I had to have the head unit replaced in my ‘16, I asked the dealer if they could give me the newer head unit with Apple CarPlay, and in fact I told them that I would pay any incremental cost. They told me that it can’t be done because the new head units are not compatible with the wiring in pre MY17 cars.

My own suspicion is that it can be accomplished with some difficulty, and they simply did not want to be bothered figuring how to do it. If PCNA were to publish the procedure, I bet that would change things, but there is no reason to expect that will happen because of course they would prefer to sell you another new Macan instead.

I bet at some point when we start to see some used newer version head units start to be available we will see some aftermarket audio shop or some enterprising, knowledgeable forum member figure out how to do this, and that it’s not terribly complicated. I would think that few owners are going to pay the exorbitant cost of a brand new head unit.
Yes that's what happened, I got a new "old" unit, at least there is XM radio again.

I got the car back and the noise is still there, and it is not normal, the loaner did not have it.

They also have to replace the sensor for the airbag for the passenger side seat, but they are still waiting for the part to arrive from Germany after 6 weeks.

I may need to find out how to complain to Porsche NA, they should have an email address..... Incredible!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a 1-year old Macan GTS and am getting the hoot owl noise at speeds of over 60 plus knocking sound intermittently. Any recommendations? Can this be fixed?

·
Super Moderator
3,539 Posts
My exhaust plate rattle *may* be back again.

Didn't somebody post the the *complete* fix for this required replacement of the downpipes?
I've got a suspicion the downpipes were not replaced previously.

My MT has PSE and over the last few months, when I let off of the accelerator (with PSE on) it
sounds a bit like a truck using its Jake brake. :eek:

I'm also getting this Jake brake like sound on acceleration at low RPMs if I (paddle) upshift a bit
early. Hopefully this isn't a symptom of the dreaded xfer case issue... :crying:

And, since my PCM has issues lately and I've powered it off, I've noticed a bit of a rattle at idle
when waiting for a stoplight.

Ideas?

Thx!

;)

181 - 200 of 204 Posts