Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to separate out this thread / noise from the idle one as it may not be related and were kinda driving confusion by going back and forth with descriptions between the two issues.

This is the noise.

Macan S Whistling Noise from Drivetrain 1 - YouTube

No root cause determined yet, but my dealer was asked by Porsche to bring my car back in next week 2/7, as they have a few things they think it is.

What is IS:
More pronouced when the car is cold (oil temp < 180F)
Speed related, 25 - 75mph, with a loud sweet spot between 40-50mph
Light load, throttle related, you can tip into the gas and get the tone to change
Passenger side, under the car, sounds like the rear (@SMLBOB and Triplez)
Cold to warm ambient -15F to 55F. (I heated up my garage overnight, no change in noise the next morning).
Gets worse with more mileage.
Greatly muted / gone when the engine oil hits 200F (probably not related to engine, but also indicates that the gearboxes / differential are up to temperature as well).

What it IS NOT:
A 0 mile issue, mine showed up only after 11k miles.
Engine RPM, Transmission gear, neutral related.
A/C, Heater Fan, Seat Fan, Radiator Fan, (shut off all of these)
Off road mode, low mode, regular mode (AS heights)
Steering or side load dependent (wheel bearing)
Road or tire dependent

Possible Sources:
Fuel system, pump, return regulator.
Rear differential or transfer case.
Exhaust? (Doesn't seem related to exhaust flow or sport mode)

Questions for the group:
When did your noise appear?
Do you have PTV with the electronic rear differential?

Ill data mine the other thread and add more here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks @TripleZ for separating.

My noise started at about 1100 miles. Since the noise appears to track with colder temperatures I cannot rule out that it was waiting to happen since day one, but the temperatures were above 40F which seems to be where the noise is much less.

I do NOT have PVT.

Also I have opened the Pano roof / windows / etc. to try and rule out a wind noise. No change to the noise.

The gas pedal is really the only thing that is the "on/off" mechanism for my noise. I can even push the sport button, the gear changes, and as long as I hold the gas pedal the same the noise remains constant. It does not track with RPM is my point - only how much gas is being requested by the pedal position.

And for those that think this is a normal turbo whine - I hear that too, and this is not the same "normal" sound of a turbo.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That noise also for me...
Start on 500km in my Macan S petrol.

Here in Italy there are others people with this problem on Macan (also diesel).

For me the noise is more light than yours and when I push gas pedal it go away... But when the car are cold and at low rpg that noise is together with an interior "ttttrrrrr" noise from Air vent on cockpit.

Another man I other forum in Italy told this problem was found by Porsche dealer and it was the drive/transmission shaft... It will be change by Porsche dealer under warranty and now he is waiting it from Germany.

Intact when you leave the gas pedal the noise disappear so it will be the shaft

I think I wait other some km after asking check by dealer.

I gone to dealer for check it but he told me the noise is not dangerous and it's too light for became a real problem... He also think that it would be an engine technical characteristic of variocam or something else.

Imho this noise is in all Macan but our ears are different and probably not every people hear that.

If anyone find the way tell us...

I also hope that if we go together to dealer for that, mother Porsche will decide to make a recall to resolve it.

I have not pvt... Other optionals in my signature

·
Registered
37 Posts
That noise also for me...
Start on 500km in my Macan S petrol.

Here in Italy there are others people with this problem on Macan (also diesel).

For me the noise is more light than yours and when I push gas pedal it go away... But when the car are cold and at low rpg that noise is together with an interior "ttttrrrrr" noise from Air vent on cockpit.

Another man I other forum in Italy told this problem was found by Porsche dealer and it was the drive/transmission shaft... It will be change by Porsche dealer under warranty and now he is waiting it from Germany.

Intact when you leave the gas pedal the noise disappear so it will be the shaft

I think I wait other some km after asking check by dealer.

I gone to dealer for check it but he told me the noise is not dangerous and it's too light for became a real problem... He also think that it would be an engine technical characteristic of variocam or something else.

Imho this noise is in all Macan but our ears are different and probably not every people hear that.

If anyone find the way tell us...

I also hope that if we go together to dealer for that, mother Porsche will decide to make a recall to resolve it.

I have not pvt... Other optionals in my signature
Interesting @migliomiglio.

An issue at the drive shaft connection points could fit with my symptoms and location of the noise. My noise seems below the armrest and toward the back seat area potentially. Hard to pin it down exactly.

Can you get more details from the Italian site on the exact replacement part on order? I want to know if it is a bearing, or the entire shaft, etc. I am trying to post the picture of the Macan drive shaft area as a reference to anyone interested - But the forum says uploading forever and nothing happens. I will try again later.

Of note: The Cyannes have had issues with the Carden Shaft (Drive Shaft) bearing connection point failing and causing noises in the past.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My cayenne used to make this noise when i first started up and got going fast enough to get into 2-4th gear. It would do it once then never again until the first start of the day again. It hasn't done this since about 30k miles though. I doubt it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting @migliomiglio.

An issue at the drive shaft connection points could fit with my symptoms and location of the noise. My noise seems below the armrest and toward the back seat area potentially. Hard to pin it down exactly.

Can you get more details from the Italian site on the exact replacement part on order? I want to know if it is a bearing, or the entire shaft, etc. I am trying to post the picture of the Macan drive shaft area as a reference to anyone interested - But the forum says uploading forever and nothing happens. I will try again later.

Of note: The Cyannes have had issues with the Carden Shaft (Drive Shaft) bearing connection point failing and causing noises in the past.

I don't know what is part number but I know that my friend In Italy have to change the transmission shaft... Entire!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a call from the dealer. My Macan did not make the noise for him today, but they ordered the oil/air separator for replacement. Should have it in a couple days, and the car back by Thursday.

The noise was getting progressively worse for me, very consistent, every cold driveaway. Then it suddenly went random and quieter (kind of like when it got warm before). But the last week, it wouldn't do it while cold, but would when it was fully warmed up. At least on mine it will be harder to diagnose now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@TripleZ

Did the dealer think the oil separator could generate the noise under the armrest area? Or is the oil separator more likely for engine compartment noise.

I am sure my noise is under the armrest, and I thought yours was likely the same.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on your issues likely coming from the oil separator.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Remind us, do you have a moonroof?

I get a similar sound on cold days (where the car itself has been parked for a long time below freezing) - only hear it when I'm moving. I've chalked it up to my moonroof / seals around it/doors.

It goes away once the cabin is warm enough.

Never noticed noise when temps are above freezing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@TripleZ

Did the dealer think the oil separator could generate the noise under the armrest area? Or is the oil separator more likely for engine compartment noise.

I am sure my noise is under the armrest, and I thought yours was likely the same.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on your issues likely coming from the oil separator.
I don't think the sound is coming from the engine bay, but they might know something I don't. Im willing to give it a try, as it might fix the idle rattle noise.

Remind us, do you have a moonroof?

I get a similar sound on cold days (where the car itself has been parked for a long time below freezing) - only hear it when I'm moving. I've chalked it up to my moonroof / seals around it/doors.

It goes away once the cabin is warm enough.

Never noticed noise when temps are above freezing.
I have a moonroof, however I played with opening the roof to see if thats what it was..... to no effect. Its load and speed dependent, but you can change quite a bit with just tipping into the throttle. Not a typical wind noise.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@SMLBOB

Got the car back after the dealership replaced the air/oil separator/pcv valve for both banks. They were unable to hear the noise (it had become a bit more random) so could not confirm the fix. I drove out the dealership, got up to 30mph and immediately heard the hoot owl noise.

Repeated again this morning, along with the idle rattle.

So the oil separator is NOT a fix.

The hoot owl noise was definitely rear/passenger located this morning. Just as a data point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@SMLBOB

Got the car back after the dealership replaced the air/oil separator/pcv valve for both banks. They were unable to hear the noise (it had become a bit more random) so could not confirm the fix. I drove out the dealership, got up to 30mph and immediately heard the hoot owl noise.

Repeated again this morning, along with the idle rattle.

So the oil separator is NOT a fix.

The hoot owl noise was definitely rear/passenger located this morning. Just as a data point.
@TripleZ

I really appreciate you feeding back this information. I have my issue logged and open with PCNA and was waiting on your information before pushing for another dealer visit. I am now waiting for the PCNA technical expert to call me after reviewing the video I had. Let's see if anyone ever calls me!

I can now tell them it is HIGHLY unlikely the Air/Oil separator. And I can focus them more under the car, around the transmission under the armrest, and toward the passenger rear seat.

I was also hoping the AOS might have been the idle noise even if it didn't solve "Hoot Owl". you helped eliminate that possibility as well!

My car has hooted more often this week after almost stoping for the previous week. I even think my car is now vibrating a bit through the transmission or transfer case when temps are between 30 and 45 degrees outside, but no vibrations (seems perfect) above 50F. Today the sound stayed around a good 20 minutes at a fairly loud state. Most days this week at least 10 minutes to 15 loudly and then faintly thereafter (for only me to notice it since I know what to listen for).

Very frustrating since I cannot easily leave my car at the dealer, cold, and expect them to find it without me being with them and managing the whole process. I don't want to deal with another "we couldn't hear anything", and then get in the car to leave to only have it howl after I drive off (like last time!). Since the sound can be intermittent I would look like a crazy person if I go back only to have it stop.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Watching this thread closely as my S just started doing this at 2500 miles. My sound is very faint, I only hear it up to 45-50mph with the radio off. It is certainly speed and load dependent and seems to be related to cold starts. I have the sense that it is coming from the rear of the car somewhere. I can make it go away by tipping into the throttle. I would say that my car is doing it so faintly that I am reluctant to take it to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the sound also. Just posted to another thread with more detail. Dealer replaced A/C compressor thinking that was the issue, but did not work...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I picked up my S earlier this week and I'm hearing this sound as well - or at least something very close to it. I'd describe it as a quiet droning sound. I've noticed it at freeway speeds (~70mph) as well as at lower speeds (40 - 50mph). I only have about 200 miles on the car at this point, and the temperature in Houston has been quite mild this week (50 - 70F). I have 20" Michelin All-Seasons on the car.

I don't really have any feel for where the sound is coming from. If I had to speculate I'd say the front left of the car, but that might just be because that's the corner I'm sitting in. It doesn't appear to be directly related to the engine speed, as the frequency doesn't seem to change in step with the RPM.

The sound is somewhat similar to tire noise I've heard before on other vehicles, but I don't think that's what it is here. It doesn't seem to correlate with changing road surfaces, and it comes and goes over the course of a few seconds even at a steady speed over an unchanging surface.

My guess is that it's a resonance of some kind - maybe caused by airflow or maybe caused by the rotational speed or vibration of some component.

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks until I'm more familiar with the car's various noises before pursuing it further (plus I'm hoping it might go away by itself), but it's definitely something I want to get resolved at some point. The low-level droning drifting in and out really detracts from the otherwise upscale environment in the car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
BTW - I absolutely agree with it sounding like resonance... and that it does seem to come from the far front, driver side. I thought it would go away by itself (hoped), but it seems to be getting somewhat worse...

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's it!

That's the sound. Makes me cringe to hear it on the video.

1) Makes me feel better that it is definitely not me.
2) Of course, I can hear it without having to put my head in all of those positions, but to your (and everyone's) point, the video makes it clear that there is an odd sound;
3) Thanks for the video, I'll use it too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi...
I've left my A to the dealer four days ago.
I have the same noise... My Macan was delivered in December 2014.
I think this problem is the same for a lot of Macans...

I hope (but not sure) in my dealer that are searching the cause...
If I'll solve the issue I'll tell you.

You are not alone...

1 - 20 of 204 Posts