Porsche Macan Forum banner

Hitch mounted carrier options

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wspollack 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and have just ordered a 2021 Macan GTS, with integrated hitch mount. This is my first Porsche, and am pretty excited.

Coming from a full size SUV, so finding that the space is a bit on the smaller side, so looking for an option to add storage to the car for longer family trips - specifically to be able to carry 2-3 sets of golf clubs.

I've come across the Thule product below and was wondering if anyone has used it or something similar, and if there are any pros/cons to attaching this occasionally to the Macan.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If it fits to a 2" trailer hitch mount, and weighs less than 440 lbs full, I can't see how this would be a problem other than would the rear hatch hit it when opening....unless it swings out of the way or something.

Although, if you want the lights to work, you will have to order/install a trailer plug harness mount since Porsche does not supple one with the trailer hitch.

#3 ·
I actually considered this option but ultimately decided on going with the Thule Motion XT L roof box for skis/poles, duffel bags and miscellaneous things and a hitch mount for bikes. I'm short so I don't like the idea of loading and loading bikes on the roof. I did a write up on the bars and box I used here - Thule Review

I don't know if you have the factory roof rails or not but there are cross bar options for cars without rails. The roof box is good for long items like skis or snowboards, they might fit in this hitch box but probably won't pack efficiently. As with any hitch mounted accessory you'll lose the backup camera and parking sensors but you won't have the drag/wind resistance of the roof top box.

So consider what you are carrying and the best form factor and whether or not loading/unloading on the roof and the drag is a big deal. This box is only 13 cubic feet, and the large box I have is 16 cubic feet and fits many odd sized items (folding baby crib, hiking packs, toddler seats, to name a few) and there are members with the XL box that has 18 cubic feet

#4 ·
I have 2 different Thule bike racks, a 4 bike and a 2 bike. The 2 bike is the "tilt down". It is very heavy and one of the most robust hitch mounted devices I've ever seen. It tips out of the way to allow easy operation of the tailgate and I go back and forth between FL and NY with complete confidence. It appears the Transporter Combi employees the same mounting arrangement. Based on my experience I'd have total comfort in ordering and using it right up the the 150# limit.

thule-t2-pro-xt-2---2-_-1691037

CAVEAT: The hitch is REALLY heavy duty. It's heavy to lift, to mount and to tilt. I can do it without much problem but my wife would never be able to mount the hitch. She can tilt and use with some effort . . . but, make no mistake, this is the real deal in terms of HEAVY duty.

P.S. - I almost forgot . . . I am obliged to chastise you for starting a new thread and not searching first.

#5 ·
Responding to all at once, thanks everyone for their feedback so far
  • Yes, I searched, could only find one other thread that mentioned this Thule box and there wasn't much content in the thread
  • Didn't get the roof rails, don't want to be hoisting stuff onto the roof, plus i prefer the look of the vehicle without the rails.
  • Will be getting a separate bike rack as my existing 3" Thule bike rack won't work on this (it's 2")
  • Will use this Thule box primarily for 2 sets of golf clubs - box itself weighs 55lbs, add another 100'ish for the clubs, sounds like the weight won't be an issue. Oh, and it tilts down for ease of access to the rear
  • Great tip on the wiring harness, hadn't thought of that, will definitely have to source one. Thanks for that

#6 ·
Great tip on the wiring harness, hadn't thought of that, will definitely have to source one. Thanks for that
I have no personal experience with any of this -- just reporting here, before my memory fades -- but there was a post just the other day in which @atwnsw recommended a zero-contact wiring module: DIY Hitch Install Questions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.