Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Have both a 2015 Macan S Cobb tuned and 2018 Audi SQ5. The Audi has an 8 speed transmission versus the Porsche 7speed. Our Audi general runs around 19mpg in town versus 17 on the Macan if you (baby) it. Your Macan should be getting at least 15 mpg driven at 80 to 85 mph if cruising. If your hamming the throttle flooring it to overtake cars I don’t think 11 mpg is not out of the question. We have poor fuel in Phoenix and high highway speeds driven aggressively fuel consumption can be bad in the Porsche.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I have a 2015 Macan S and you can see attached the mpg history of my car now turning 5 years old. I have logged every single fuel up on Fuelly. I only use 92 premium gas from Costco (Kirkland). My average is 17mpg over 5 years of driving with the best being 19.9mpg. I drive almost 70% on city (speed limit of 45mph) and the rest on highway at 70-75mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Have both a 2015 Macan S Cobb tuned and 2018 Audi SQ5. The Audi has an 8 speed transmission versus the Porsche 7speed. Our Audi general runs around 19mpg in town versus 17 on the Macan if you (baby) it. Your Macan should be getting at least 15 mpg driven at 80 to 85 mph if cruising. If your hamming the throttle flooring it to overtake cars I don’t think 11 mpg is not out of the question. We have poor fuel in Phoenix and high highway speeds driven aggressively fuel consumption can be bad in the Porsche.
My father has a 2018 SQ5 and reports the same, 22 on the highway if he keeps it around 80.

I took the car out today to see if grandpa driving would affect the MPG. Never had the needle above 3k RPM’s and it burned through 2 gallons in 21 miles driving at 70mph. When I started the car cold it smelled like a de-catted car from the exhaust but when it warmed up there was no smell, the possibility of catalytic converter failure came up but the A/F ratio from my Cobb Accessport is showing around 15 at idle so it’s not running rich to my knowledge.
Hopefully Porsche can get it fixed up and back to normal otherwise it may be an uphill battle for me to prove the car is not performing even close to specifications.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have a 2015 Macan S and you can see attached the mpg history of my car now turning 5 years old. I have logged every single fuel up on Fuelly. I only use 92 premium gas from Costco (Kirkland). My average is 17mpg over 5 years of driving with the best being 19.9mpg. I drive almost 70% on city (speed limit of 45mph) and the rest on highway at 70-75mph.
I checked out Fuelly as well and it just continued to bolster my view that there is something wrong with the car, along with all the posts on here.
If or when Porsche fixes the problem I’ll be sure to post so everyone knows what it was. In for service on 1/28...

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
@DuderV if your getting 11mpg babying the car in comfort mode that is bad. If the car smells like rotten eggs not good either whether at warm up or when warm. If you bought the car used someone may have run high octane leaded fuel which could ruin the cat. Good luck with the fix sounds like you definitely have an issue. By the way both Calif and Phoenix have the same fuel make sure you are running the 91 octane ACN tune.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
...We have poor fuel in Phoenix and high highway speeds driven aggressively fuel consumption can be bad in the Porsche.
No we don't!

Where did you come up with the 'fact' that Phoenix has "bad" fuel? And what specifically is supposedly bad about it?

I use Top Tier from QT mostly & have zero issues in 3 cars.

Where are you buying gas the makes you think Phoenix (as opposed to wherever you buy gas) has "bad fuel?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you’re running a tune, all bets are off. I’d put it back to stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
New to the forum so forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong spot.
We recently purchased a ‘17 Macan GTS, had the full PPI from Pacific German in Laguna Niguel, found the timing cover leak and a hydraulic tensioner leak being repaired by Porsche Irvine next week.
The wierd thing I need some opinions on is our gas mileage.
As of today, we have driven about 1200 miles on the car that already has 29k. Calculating the mileage by hand we are achieving only around 11-12MPG. The car says we’re getting 18mpg but 17 gallons of gas only gets us 200 miles before empty. Driving has been about 80% highway at 80-85 and some fun around town but nothing crazy. In normal mode the whole time as well.
Has anyone else with a GTS or S experienced this type of issue??
I saw your car there. If I recall it had the black door handles and lots of carbon fiber in the inside. Your car had a very nice build on it. I hope you get things all resolved as you have a beautiful Macan

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mine is short driving...Starbucks and back. 2019 Macan S. I get a solid 12 in and around town. Haven't made a road trip yet. I don't use the auto stop/start. That might bump me a bit..Maybe?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Re reading all these posts makes me think something is wrong with me. Brand new with about 1100 miles on it. I do 5 mile trips. I know that can't be good for milage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Re reading all these posts makes me think something is wrong with me. Brand new with about 1100 miles on it. I do 5 mile trips. I know that can't be good for milage.
Are you figuring the Mby hand?
take it for a road trip, see if that brings up the MPG. Most say they are supposed to be getting 15 in the city with mixed driving.
We have a consistent 10-11MPG (done by hand) with a mix of 80% highway/20% city, doesn’t matter how we drive it just gets 10-11MPG it seems.
Possible bad O2, bad cats, clogged intake, clogged fuel injector are all possibilities but I’m going to let the dealer deal with it and we will drive the loaner with free miles while they figure it out!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Are you figuring the Mby hand?
take it for a road trip, see if that brings up the MPG. Most say they are supposed to be getting 15 in the city with mixed driving.
We have a consistent 10-11MPG (done by hand) with a mix of 80% highway/20% city, doesn’t matter how we drive it just gets 10-11MPG it seems.
Possible bad O2, bad cats, clogged intake, clogged fuel injector are all possibilities but I’m going to let the dealer deal with it and we will drive the loaner with free miles while they figure it out!

I am planning a road trip in mid to late Feb. Maybe something with "click". I do figure it out by hand. Divide the manually set trip computer miles by the gallons on the fuel slip. Not rocket science. A consistent 12.I do "top off" a squirt or two each fill up, but I am consistent with that bad habit. A solid 12 in town.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I saw your car there. If I recall it had the black door handles and lots of carbon fiber in the inside. Your car had a very nice build on it. I hope you get things all resolved as you have a beautiful Macan
Ha! Random, yes the car was at Pacific German right before Christmas, the build sheet was insane on the car, yet they managed to not tick the Porsche Connect box (Porsche Irvine recently installed CarPlay).
My wife is super disappointed because our last car was a reliability beast and our first month owning this we have to remove the engine (timing cover gasket is leaking), gas consumption problems, LCA doesn’t work.... she feels like we got a crappy car.
Shaun at PG was adamant that the car was mechanically good and it did pass SMOG just before it was purchased so ?‍♂.
Love the interior, but might ask if someone wants to swap vents, they are growing old on us already.
C8917B45-766B-419E-91B1-A388944FD1D6.jpeg

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes, I do it by hand. A solid, consistent 12. Like I mentioned earlier, really short trips. I am planning on a road trip in mid to late February. Maybe that will nudge something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am planning a road trip in mid to late Feb. Maybe something with "click". I do figure it out by hand. Divide the manually set trip computer miles by the gallons on the fuel slip. Not rocket science. A consistent 12.I do "top off" a squirt or two each fill up, but I am consistent with that bad habit. A solid 12 in town.
Well don’t let my experience clog your view of what’s going on but the car is rated at 18-23 and If your getting 6 MPG less and not always hammering on the acceleration, it would be something to bring up to the dealer, just have your gas reciepts and take pics of the odometer as backup. We are taking videos of the range depleting 4 miles in 36 seconds while traveling at 70mph so something is definitely off with ours.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
No we don't!

Where did you come up with the 'fact' that Phoenix has "bad" fuel? And what specifically is supposedly bad about it?

I use Top Tier from QT mostly & have zero issues in 3 cars.

Where are you buying gas the makes you think Phoenix (as opposed to wherever you buy gas) has "bad fuel?
First off I only run top tier fuel myself (Costco) Or any other top tier vendor. After going thru several forums and viewing responses many have commented on timing retard and lower boost to prevent knock with their vehicles when they have moved to or fueled in an area with ACN fuel. Cobb also offeres a unique tune when you purchase fuel in Arizona,California and Nevada so maybe they have an exact answer. I’m sure it’s not because we have a hidden advantage with our fuel. Lets say the gas is NOT bad but definitely unique to very few states with some consumers experiencing poorer performance running ACN fuel.

From this I have gathered there are some specific changes that affect operation and tuning when using ACN fuel. I Did find this specific site which showed the requirements to meet the ACN fuel statute with the state of Arizona.https://agriculture.az.gov/weights-measures/fueling/fuel-quality/cleaner-burning-gasoline-cbg

I’m not an engineer but it all leads to lower emissions required by the Department of Agriculture with the blends required to meet these standards. It may just be more additives but there are specific burn qualities with our fuel which leads to special tunes developed for aftermarket by companies like Cobb. Special tune, knock issues or reduced boost to me means a lower performance fuel. Not bad gas but gas that has been treated to meet the needs of government not necessarily the consumer. As I see it, it’s probably not much different than adding ethanol which has a negative effect on fuel mileage but is supposedly good for emissions. The unfortunate side effect is we need to burn more gas to go the same distance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else with a GTS or S experienced this type of issue??
Have an ‘18 S with 20” tires. With sport mode off, driving relatively sedately, I get 18-22. With sport mode on, driving hard on mountain roads, I get 11-14.

I don’t think your necessarily well out of norm, or i’m wrong and i should get my macan checked out too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Have an ‘18 S with 20” tires. With sport mode off, driving relatively sedately, I get 18-22. With sport mode on, driving hard on mountain roads, I get 11-14.

I don’t think your necessarily well out of norm, or i’m wrong and i should get my macan checked out too.
Our issue mainly is that we get 10-11MPG in ALL driving conditions, flat highway driving, city driving, coasting down a hill, the car has never gone more than 210 miles on a full tank so that’s why we’re concerned.
Thanks again for the feedback and it’s good to know it’s really thirsty when pushed.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts