Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum so forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong spot.
We recently purchased a ‘17 Macan GTS, had the full PPI from Pacific German in Laguna Niguel, found the timing cover leak and a hydraulic tensioner leak being repaired by Porsche Irvine next week.
The wierd thing I need some opinions on is our gas mileage.
As of today, we have driven about 1200 miles on the car that already has 29k. Calculating the mileage by hand we are achieving only around 11-12MPG. The car says we’re getting 18mpg but 17 gallons of gas only gets us 200 miles before empty. Driving has been about 80% highway at 80-85 and some fun around town but nothing crazy. In normal mode the whole time as well.
Has anyone else with a GTS or S experienced this type of issue??

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
My MY2916 Turbo gets 15-16 mpg mostly city. I always calculate by hand & ignore the nonsense that the car's computer claims.

How many tanks did you go through & is the 11-12 mpg your average?

I assume you topped off the tank at 1st & noted the mileage & then used up most of that tank & again topped off & calculated miles/gallons.

I one saw a movie where someone was being pranked by a neighbor to get back at him for bragging about how great his mpg was on his new eco car.

The neighbor would sneak over to the car in the middle of the night & add gas! Later the target would be very excited & brag to everyone about how his MPG far exceeded the specs. After a couple weeks of this, the neighbor prankster began to siphon out some gas at night so the poor sucker was devastated that his pride & joy eco box now got very poor mpg!

Reactions: Mleibrock

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My MY2916 Turbo gets 15-16 mpg mostly city. I always calculate by hand & ignore the nonsense that the car's computer claims.

How many tanks did you go through & is the 11-12 mpg your average?

I assume you topped off the tank at 1st & noted the mileage & then used up most of that tank & again topped off & calculated miles/gallons.

I one saw a movie where someone was being pranked by a neighbor to get back at him for bragging about how great his mpg was on his new eco car.

The neighbor would sneak over to the car in the middle of the night & add gas! Later the target would be very excited & brag to everyone about how his MPG far exceeded the specs. After a couple weeks of this, the neighbor prankster began to siphon out some gas at night so the poor sucker was devastated that his pride & joy eco box now got very poor mpg!
Love a good prank story! We have gone through about 5 tanks as the car had 3/4 when we bought it. We’re calculating by hand, logging the initial miles as we fill up, then driving until fuel is low, filling full again and using the difference from the beginning miles to the ending miles divided by the gallons of gas. Most of the time we’re filling up around 17 gallons and getting 200 miles before having to fill up 17 gallons again. I feel like an O2 sensor may be bad allowing the A/F ratio to get too rich along with possible dirty air filters but all this was checked by Pacific German, which is a freakishly detailed Ind shop.
Porsche will have it on feb 3rd for the timing cover gasket repair so hopefully they work it out!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds about right to me. The only time I can reach towards 20 MPG is on a freeway trip using ACC in Comfort mode. I have a 2018 S model with a Cobb modification.
I was expecting to get around 18-20mpg as we did with our 2014 SQ5. Have a Cobb accessport just waiting until all these issues get sorted out by Porsche, it’s killing me not to install it.
Did the Cobb get any noticeable increase in mpg (when calmly driving) due to it leaning out the A/F ratio?

·
Registered
282 Posts
****. My turbo gets 19 city / 24 hwy hand calc..I drive hard too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
****. My turbo gets 19 city / 24 hwy hand calc..I drive hard too.
So After we go through a few more tanks at 200 miles per tank, I’m going to say something is definitely wrong with the car.
Thank goodness for warranty work...

·
Registered
282 Posts
So After we go through a few more tanks at 200 miles per tank, I’m going to say something is definitely wrong with the car.
Thank goodness for warranty work...
Yeah I’d get that checked out. I’m right around 398-406 miles a tank every fill up. Make sure you’re using 91-93 octane too...

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
What percentage of your fuel in CA is ethanol? That hurts the MPG numbers.

Are you driving around in 5th or 6th gear all the time? Remember, it's a 7-speed PDK.

It doesn't take too many jack-rabbit starts or launch control blasts to really kill the tankful
fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
New to the forum so forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong spot.
Driving has been about 80% highway at 80-85 and some fun around town but nothing crazy. In normal mode the whole time as well.
1) Welcome to the forum. Based on reading and posting here for 2+ years: nice folks, useful info to be found.

2) As @canasion35 pointed out: have you been using high-test gas? And, as @[email protected]>@W alluded to, you're not using gas with ethanol greater than 10%, are you?

3) 80-85 is probably above average for most folks around here. I mean, commuting on the autobahn, probably not, but in the US, a different story. Note that air resistance increases relative to the square of speed, e.g., if you drive twice as fast, the resistance goes up by four times. So that could come into play.

We have an '18 S, so this is not quite apples to apples, but get c. 18 mpg in largely around-town driving in non-sport mode, and c. 22 in full-superslab-only days (averaging c. 70 mph on those days).

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
OP what's the rpm and in which gear when you were driving on highway?

11 mpg is definitely not normal for a GTS. My S gets around 13 mpg driven hard in the city.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I’d get that checked out. I’m right around 398-406 miles a tank every fill up. Make sure you’re using 91-93 octane too...
Yup. California 91. The crappiest, most expensive premium gas money can buy.
Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP what's the rpm and in which gear when you were driving on highway?

11 mpg is definitely not normal for a GTS. My S gets around 13 mpg driven hard in the city.
7th gear 90% of the time 80-85 mph. Auto Start/Stop was turned on so at times it was probably coasting as well.
I’m not sure of what the RPM is at when cruising at 80, my wife primarily drives the car, but that is something we should definitely look at.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1) Welcome to the forum. Based on reading and posting here for 2+ years: nice folks, useful info to be found.

2) As @canasion35 pointed out: have you been using high-test gas? And, as @[email protected]>@W alluded to, you're not using gas with ethanol greater than 10%, are you?

3) 80-85 is probably above average for most folks around here. I mean, commuting on the autobahn, probably not, but in the US, a different story. Note that air resistance increases relative to the square of speed, e.g., if you drive twice as fast, the resistance goes up by four times. So that could come into play.

We have an '18 S, so this is not quite apples to apples, but get c. 18 mpg in largely around-town driving in non-sport mode, and c. 22 in full-superslab-only days (averaging c. 70 mph on those days).
Thanks Bill,

I’m quickly finding that the crew in the forums are great at responding and very helpful.

We’re using 91 octane from CA so it’s 10% ethanol filled up from multiple different stations (Shell, 76, mobile)

My wife is the primary driver and she drives a little faster than the norm but nothing crazy, my rub is that I would expect, even traveling at 80mph on the highway we would exceed the city gas mileage, however the combined 80% highway and 20% city is returning us roughly half what we should be getting and this is with all the settings in comfort. Not even focusing on the actual MPG, most that have posted are seeing around 380 miles on a tank and we only get 200.

Our previous car was a 2014 SQ5 with slightly lower fuel consumption figures and we would typically average 370-390 miles per tank so it’s getting me worried we have a larger problem we may be dealing with.

again appreciate the insight!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I get about 18 - 19 mpg on average in my 2018 Macan GTS (stock tune) with a little over 8,000 miles on it....300 miles per fill-up (average 16 to 17 gallons) using 93 octane pump gas.

90% is city driving, and in "Comfort" mode.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the same vehicle, 2017 GTS, 21 inch rims. I also log all my fuel fill ups, a habit I have done for years as it is the best way to tell if engine tune is right, brake dragging etc. The car has just shy of 50,000 miles now, and I can tell you around town, (80%) I get 16 to 18 mpg. On highways, (20%), I get 22 to 24 mpg.

·
Registered
93 Posts
17S
Hand measured:
Avg: 19.95
Best: 24.32
Worst: 15.19 (towing utility trailer and dirt bikes)

Sounds like yours is awfully low. I'd be concerned.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
2018 Turbo using 93 octane. Avg: 18-20 combined. If I engage Sport or Sport+ briefly, it drops to 15. I usually drive in the 70-110 range when the road is open. A/C is usually on.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Last fill up with mixed urban driving on a '18 S model w/Cobb V3 91 octane setting = 11.61 MPG. Seattle weather. Normal for me with a light touch on the throttle using Sport on the hills and Comfort on the freeway.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts