Porsche Macan Forum banner

Have you been even 140mph or faster in a car, truck or motorcycle.

• YES

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • NO

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Under 4000 RPM, what's the problem?

Reactions: yorker

·
Registered
144 Posts
A weak attempt at humor ;)

I enjoy looking at the instrument cluster and seeing how fast I am going and how low the rpms are.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Last weekend I spontaneously decided to take a trip to Germany to try out my Tiger's limits on the Autobahn. I went alone to be on the safe side because although there's mostly at least 3 lanes, some guy in a Dacia Duster is bound to stray left just at the wrong moment.

I managed to get to exactly 260 km/h (~161.5 mph). It took some time to get a nice straight stretch of road with little traffic and good visibility. As you all know, the Macan is a heavy thing and after easily reaching around 230 km/h it gets exponentially hard to go faster. I hit 250 km/h twice but getting those last 10 km/h takes quite some time so you need good conditions :)

Of course I do not have a dash photo because my hands were gripping the steering wheel hard, but it was quite exciting. I used up almost as much gas doing 200+ km/h for 15 min as I used for the whole trip from Slovenia via Austria to München :)

All in all, a fun trip to test the car's limits (on winter tires, too), but you need absolute concentration and some luck to achieve it with a 2 tonne vehicle. And as others have said before me, the car is completely stable at those speeds and the noise tolerable.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was able to get the Dealer Demo to 85MPH+ in Reverse. Have to say the crystal clear Rear Camera was really helpful in avoiding pedestrians. Leaving AS in the "Loading" setting pointed the camera down for best viewpoint. Whipped her around and shifted into Drive like butter. PASM in Sport+, barely noticed any body roll. 18 way seats held me like a glove. Minor tire squeal on the Summers. I think it was the PTV+ that really helped stabilize the 180 spin. I have to say, LC is really cool going backwards. Takes off like a missle. Only issue was 7MPG in Reverse, I was hoping for better numbers.
This settles the PTV+ issue. I will need it for times when I need to whip around after going 85+ in reverse! Of course, I will need to replace the tires each time due to the flat spots this maneuver causes! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was able to get the Dealer Demo to 85MPH+ in Reverse. Have to say the crystal clear Rear Camera was really helpful in avoiding pedestrians. Leaving AS in the "Loading" setting pointed the camera down for best viewpoint. Whipped her around and shifted into Drive like butter. PASM in Sport+, barely noticed any body roll. 18 way seats held me like a glove. Minor tire squeal on the Summers. I think it was the PTV+ that really helped stabilize the 180 spin. I have to say, LC is really cool going backwards. Takes off like a missle. Only issue was 7MPG in Reverse, I was hoping for better numbers.
@RJMcInnis - I have to say that I feel that you are at a severe disadvantage when you perform maneuvers like this without the SurroundView camera. While I am happy to hear that the rest of the systems in the vehicle performed well in this endeavor, the SurroundView camera would also give you that view similar to that of the police helicopter following you. After all, you want to put your best foot forward for the 6pm news footage! :D

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would love to see one of those monitoring devices Progressive does that plugs into the OBD comnector and records distance speed, etc. to get you a "better rate" - yea right, it gives an excuse to not cover you or jack you up.

But it would be fun to plug one in for a spirited weekend and then mail it in for review!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Exactly. I laugh when I see commercials for that.

I recently got a violation from EZPass. It didn't read my tag so easily fixed. But one of the choices on the telephone menu is "if you received an EZPass speeding violation, press" such and such number. Big brother is always watching. Next thing you know a drone will fly up and stick a summons under the wiper. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Exactly. I laugh when I see commercials for that.

I rlove center got a violation from EZPass. It didn't read my tag so easily fixed. But one of the choices on the telephone menu is "if you received an EZPass speeding violation, press" such and such number. Big brother is always watching. Next thing you know a drone will fly up and stick a summons under the wiper. :laugh:
Yeah, I kinda think those "Big Brother Summons" should be stuck somewhere else and I don't mean under my wiper blade .I would rather they stick them somewhere in their.....mmm... general direction.

Reactions: Louie Zoi and MDJAK

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I did 170 km/hr. In coast mode.

Big mountain highway in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah, I kinda think those "Big Brother Summons" should be stuck somewhere else and I don't mean under my wiper blade .I would rather they stick them somewhere in their.....mmm... general direction.
Agree. It's not a moving violation and does not go on your driver's license or affect your insurance rates, at least in NY. However, they can suspend or eventually revoke your EZ pass "privileges".

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, the issue is that although the EZ pass transponders can be used to determine a car (and which car) was going above the speed limit, it can not determine who was driving the car at the time. So most states allow the issuing of a ticket on the car, which becomes the (financial) responsibility of the owner, I am unaware of any state that allows it to be applied as a moving violation to your drivers license, again because they can not determine who was driving. The same applies to cameras on street lights. If your car is photoed not stopping at a red light, unless there is additional photo evidence of the driver, the ticket is usually on the car and is not a moving violation for the car owner.

The insurance is more a grey area. Although they get their information from driver's records, if your insurance company becomes aware of the event, they can take the approach they are insuring the car, and not the driver, so it can affect your rate.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm afraid my insurance company is monitoring me on this board so I'll say when I did 66 in a 65 zone, it was a real thrill. :laugh:

@MDJAK, how LONG did it take you to get to 66mph? ;)

Reactions: MDJAK

·
Registered
8 Posts
264 km/h according to the speedo, on the glorious German Autobahn between Wurzburg and Leipzig on a chilly Sunday morning.

As someone else already said here, no photos due to the fact that I had both hands firmly on the steering wheel and eyes focused on the road with mere glimpses at the speedo.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
221 kmph in A95.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts