Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Macan S 2015, I had red warning light that said to shut off the engine immediately. I was in The Bronx so I drove to the local Porsche Dealer in NYC.
They inform me that High Pressure Fuel Pump was causing the problem. They replaced both pumps-no cost. It is the same pump as Audi's & VW. I have 14K miles on the car. Is this a common problem or a one off situation? The service manger said that the alcohol in cheap gas dries the seals. I only use high test. Does anybody have more knowledge about this?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Wow! Never heard of this but I'm also interested to see what someone with knowledge about cheap fuels and its effects has to say.

Glad you made it to the dealer ok.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
142 Posts
For a second there, I thought I was on another German car forum, lol. BMW had problems with the high pressure fuel pump in its N54 engine, I hope what you described is an isolated problem. Glad they fixed your car.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
For a second there, I thought I was on another German car forum, which had problems with the high pressure fuel pump in its N54 engine
There's been widespread issues with Bosch HPFP's used by BMW, Audi's, VW's and other manufacturers. I thought they were pumps manufactured from approximately 2010 to 2014 or so. I wonder if some of the defective ones could have been installed in very early Macan builds.

·
Registered
286 Posts
@YYCMacan. Sorry you have to go though that, I am sure the dealer will get it fixed. As much as I liked the N54, that particular issue pushed me towards the IS350. The engine (N54) was phenomenal but at the end of the day reliability trumps fun for me although fsport helped out a bit.

·
Registered
499 Posts
No issues with my Macan thankfully, and fortunately, a lifetime recall on the HPFP by BMW in Canada so good on both counts thus far. While I sympathize with the OP, reading the thread did give me the heeby jeebies ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
There's been widespread issues with Bosch HPFP's used by BMW, Audi's, VW's and other manufacturers. I thought they were pumps manufactured from approximately 2010 to 2014 or so. I wonder if some of the defective ones could have been installed in very early Macan builds.
I didn't come across issues on Audi forums, not enough to call it widespread and register with my synapses anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/108650-high-pressure-fuel

Porsche made good on the fuel pumps. I am afraid going forth, if the problem has been fix. Thanks for every bodies concerns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok this may be a coincidence I dont know but this is how i feel about SHELL GAS, and using them. I have no scientific proof but here is my opinion on using Shell Gas just my bias opinion. I used to own a BMW 335i the N54 and N55 engines and ocssionally i would hope back and forth with diffrent gas brand, to kinda see if it made a diffrence in the turbos. Between Mobil, K76, Chevron, and Shell, using all top quality gas all the time.

Right before the turbos on my BMW went bad i do remember that i used Shell GAS, and also everytime i get reduce engine icon on my bmw dash it would be from using Shell GAS.

Now fast forward to this year. I always used Cheveron, and K76 gas for my Macan, and out of the blue one day I stop by a Shell to fill up my Macan and i notice a huge diffrence. The car was slower, and less repsonsive to the turbos, and also my car was less agressive and I felt like i had to to more weight on the gas pedal to make it drive a little faster. i just wasnt happy at all and I wil never pump Shell ever again.

Just my .02 anybody elese have the same experience with their cars that have turbo engines when pumping Shell as vs pumping At cheveron, or K76? I know there alot of formus out there that says all gas is the same and the only diffrence is the stuff they put in it to clean your fuel injectors etc, but i personally think SHELL is bad GAS. The Shell gas sations i am referring to by the way were differnt shells in diffrent states too . MA and CA. So its not going to one single station.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Personally I use Shell V-Power Nitro+ whenever possible. I don't know how much is marketing Voodoo (I'm sure there is some) but my cars run great and I certainly don't have the issues you describe.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I know someone who is a car nut who swears by Shell. I swear at it and drive right by it when they are charging over 50 cents per gallon more than the nearby Valero for premium. I feel no difference so long as I use premium.

As for the op, you took your Macan to the Bronx? What the heck do you expect? ;) :laugh:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Too funny; this is like deja-vous for me, an owner of an early model, N54 powered Bimmer!
Ugh me too. Car stopped in the middle of a tunnel. Horrible situation.

Reactions: YYCMacan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2015 Macan S, and just had one high pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty. Just turned 13,000km. The engine light never came on but for months I heard a fluttering or resonance-type sound especially when cold. The technician found one faulty HP fuel pump on the drivers side bank of the engine. I also use Shell gas faithfully but may try something else (perhaps Petro Canada with 93 octane). The overall power of the engine doesn't seem off, but I have to say right from the first day I owned it, that 340 HP felt noticeably sluggish after I just sold my MB C63 AMG with 451 big block horse power. Nothing feels like that so I am probably not the best person to comment on the Shell gas effect on performance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Over the past weekend received "Engine control fault Consult a workshop Driving permitted". Ironically had an appointment for 2 year annual service yesterday.

This is for a 3/2018 Macan Turbo 16k miles, been using Exxon premium and Sunoco Ultra throughout ownership.

I've been reading a lot of other threads regarding recalls due to bad production on previous years. Some attribute cause to cheap gas.

Curious if this an ongoing issue with other model years, a consensus on what causes failure or if it's luck of the draw.

Oddly enough the warning disappeared after 1 day. No other odd noises or abnormal behavior noticed.

Dealer is replacing HPFP under warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Over on the VW/Audi side, which is pretty much the same parts for things like this, I’ve replaced a ton of HPFP. I only ever saw one where the actual piston inside the spring was broken, it’s almost always failure from the electronic solenoid that’s sits on top of the HPFP that fails and then the computer can’t get accurate info to and from the pump.
It seems as far as an actual cause, luck of the draw. I really don’t think oil or gas has any effect on its life.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Macan has 80kmiles and have read and seen on YouTube about this part failing and should be a war part that should be changed. Any thoughts about that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Don’t believe everything you see on YouTube. How many forum members have reported needing to change their high-pressure fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
2017 Macan S
90 Posts
My Macan has 80kmiles and have read and seen on YouTube about this part failing and should be a war part that should be changed. Any thoughts about that would be much appreciated.
You're talking about the high pressure fuel pumps (there's one on each bank) that are mechanically driven by the intake camshafts. Take off the engine cover and you'll see them. They're expensive - $554 on FCP Euro, $361 on Rock Auto. Replacement doesn't look too difficult but the catch is you're dealing with extremely high fuel pressure when engine is running. A fuel leak on top of the engine caused by incorrect replacement would be bad news.

Because these pumps are mechanically driven what I recommend is more frequent oil changes than Porsche's 1 year/10,000 mile interval. Cut that in half and use A40-qualified oil. Your engine will appreciate it. These pumps are controlled electronically though, and from what I've read that's the more common failure point.

If a HPFP fails (I think dual failure is unlikely unless fuel rails are clogged with debris) the engine goes into limp mode with accompanying dashboard notice. The in-tank electric fuel pump is capable of supplying fuel for reduced power.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts