Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to us owner of a 2017 Macan S. I have another turbo car, single turbo 235i, so I am used to turbos. I am getting a high pitch squeak, squeal, what almost sounds like a belt chirp. Or, when you go to the dentist, the high pitch metallic noise. I have spent some time looking in to this, my mid pipe bracket is all good, I do not have any noises at idle, or while revving in neutral. I am thinking diverter valve or maybe early sign of the oil separator? Could it be a boost leak? I have a bout 5 more months on my warranty, so curious if there is a concern here or if I am just being over sensitive.

Here is a video that if you listen closely you can hear. It is much more pronounced in person. I notice it under moderate acceleration through about 4th gear. It sounds to be turbo related as it makes noise when the turbo would be engaging or when I am letting off the gas after moderate acceleration. I do not hear it on the passenger side.

Thoughts, questions, suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not audible.....but most likely divertor.
Listen right around 5 or 6 seconds, that is where it is most distinct. I tried my best to get a video, but it picked up a lot of the background. That high pitched screech/whistle is the sound that I am hearing throughout acceleration.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made a service appointment for Tuesday, will keep the post updated. Figured with 2 months left on the warranty, I better just have someone look/listen at it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took it in today, the SA had a tech look at it and they drove it for 6 miles. I tried to get a tech to ride with me, but do to COVID, they wont. I guess I can sit in the small office right next to the SA, but not a car with an open window... anyway, they say no abnormal sounds. Once it warms up here, I will probably replace the diverter valves anyway since that is a weak spot. Will report back later this year after I do that and see if the same noise is there.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Could be you Air Oil separators ....you can change those your self.
they make a squeal sound when the membrane Fails.
Lots of DIY info on this here in the forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I narrowed it down to be turbo induced. It only makes noise when boost would be relieved (gear changes or bouncing on and off throttle). I looked in to the air oil separators and it seems those squeal at idle. Those are super easy, I am a “garage mechanic” and rarely take any of my vehicles/toys to the shop :cool:. I will report back!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is the exact sound mine makes, although yours sounds more pronounced. I changed the Diverter Valves and same noise. Only other thing I can think of is the Air/Oil Separators. Kind of at a loss for this, please keep me updated if you are able to track this down.

I also has my stealership look/listen.The service manager heard it, service advisor did not. They couldn’t figure it out and made a note about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is the exact sound mine makes, although yours sounds more pronounced. I changed the Diverter Valves and same noise. Only other thing I can think of is the Air/Oil Separators. Kind of at a loss for this, please keep me updated if you are able to track this down.

I also has my stealership look/listen.The service manager heard it, service advisor did not. They couldn’t figure it out and made a note about it.
I had taken to two stealerships, both said they are normal operation of the car. My guess would be poorly designed diverter valves / air intake which amplified the resonance of turbo spool. However it’s only pronounced on the left side of the vehicle (my steering on the right). They checked my boost and vacuum pressure, it all seems in range, no recorded faults. It’s more of an annoyance, I will keep searching for answers, do keep me updated if you manage to fix it too!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will do, I too only have the left side. I also replaced the air filters and when I did the diverter valves (did it myself) I looked everything over. Definitely annoying, especially on such a high end car.

Love the stealership response. Truly living up to the name!

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan S
15 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Can't hear the noise when the windows are up but definitely annoying when you roll with the windows down. I have change air/oil separator with no change to the problem. The noise seem to be louder since the change to K&N air filter. Would have to tried back the stock air filter to see how it affect the sound (i starded noticing the sound after the install of the K&N filter). I drove my dad macan and it does the same sound on a lower tone. He has the stock air filter. Wondering if mine is just worse of if the filter really make a diffrence. Both of us have 2015 Macan S (me 67,000 km and him 78,000 km). I was looking for the diverter valve after that but it look like i didn't change anything on your macan @WalkB . Have you guys figure something out and just didn't report back on the forum ? Thanks for your time!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts