Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's my plan: I can't afford the 2021 Macan GTS I really want, so my plan is to find the cheapest 2017 CPO Macan S, buy it, and keep it for the two years of the CPO warranty. I should still be able to sell it for at least $20K at that point, right?

According to finder.porsche.com, the cheapest CPO 2017 Macan S is at Rusnak/Westlake, about 500 miles from me: 72K miles, asking $36K.
The second cheapest is at Porsche Monterey, about 100 miles from me: 69K miles, asking $37K.
(There's a third, 10K fewer miles, $1k more, but it's in FL.)

So, what could possibly go wrong with this plan?

That's my question, Ladies and Gentlemen:

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't think anything should go wrong with that mileage. I've seen them selling Macan's with 133k on it. If you are only planning to keep it for as long as CPO is active I don't htink there should be any issues.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
my two cents...well you paid Tax, Tag, Title...depending where you live that could easily be $3K. then there are the tires...will they require replacement prior to CPO date? on staying on that subject there are the brakes and pads...seems like a lot of potential sunk costs for a car you are not going to keep just b/c the CPO date has expired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better strategy is to use the CPO time to identify any issues with the car, get them fixed and keep it for a long time. The longer you keep the better your per year depreciation will be.
That makes sense, but what does CPO warranty NOT cover? I assume consumables, like tires, oil and other fluids, and post-purchase damage. Any part of engine, suspension, transmission, steering, electronics, etc, it doesn't cover?

·
Registered
152 Posts
That makes sense, but what does CPO warranty NOT cover? I assume consumables, like tires, oil and other fluids, and post-purchase damage. Any part of engine, suspension, transmission, steering, electronics, etc, it doesn't cover?
Speaking from personal experience, CPO is a nice plus, but coverage really depends on the dealer. Some (like mine) want to see that the vehicle has all of its preventative/scheduled maintenance completed, or they will use that as a reason why they cannot honor the repair. If you do a lot of repairs yourself or at local indy shops, stay away from my dealer.

For example, I had a the passenger EPB actuator fail out of nowhere. I took it in thinking it's a simple and straightforward fix. They came back and said "Hey we noticed someone, other than us, was working on the brakes. We can't cover that failure because we can't rule out that whoever did the work didn't do something wrong causing the failure." Cost for out of warranty/non-CPO repair? $2000. Didn't feel like arguing with them. I did the brakes myself and I know I didn't break anything. Everything was fine for 2 months before the parking brake fault appeared. I ended up buying a new actuator, replaced it myself. Cost? $200.

Take a look around the forums. Even Porsche documented issues like transfer case and timing chain cover repairs; some people have had to fight tooth and nail to get the work done, or get it done properly.

P-cars are expensive. Parts are expensive, labor essentially doubles the cost. Consumable (bushings, tires, brakes) are all expensive. P-tax is real. I personally would hate to see someone make the mistake thinking that just because it is CPO'd, they can drop the car off anytime the slightest issue creeps up and it'll automatically be taken care of. To me, CPO is a nice peace of mind knowing that catastrophic failures should be covered and I won't be left with a giant paper weight, but you'll probably be on the hook for more of the smaller things than you realize.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, here's my plan: I can't afford the 2021 Macan GTS I really want, so my plan is to find the cheapest 2017 CPO Macan S, buy it, and keep it for the two years of the CPO warranty. I should still be able to sell it for at least $20K at that point, right?

According to finder.porsche.com, the cheapest CPO 2017 Macan S is at Rusnak/Westlake, about 500 miles from me: 72K miles, asking $36K.
The second cheapest is at Porsche Monterey, about 100 miles from me: 69K miles, asking $37K.

anything COULD go wrong.
However, my 2017 S has 87,000 miles and has been the most problem free car i've ever owned. If it was well maintained you will likely be good.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts

I don't think its just an issue of what can go wrong . Cars that are low priced cold have everything from scratches , stale smoke (smoker vehicle) to the scent of lingering vomit .

If it looks too good to be true .. it usually is.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I personally would hate to see someone make the mistake thinking that just because it is CPO'd, they can drop the car off anytime the slightest issue creeps up and it'll automatically be taken care of.
Exactly what happens at Porsche Wallingford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
anything COULD go wrong.
However, my 2017 S has 87,000 miles and has been the most problem free car i've ever owned. If it was well maintained you will likely be good.
Thanks for this feedback. I am in a similar position regarding New vs Used. I am looking at a 2018 with 32K miles. All maintenance up to date. CPO. $60K (MSRP was $84K+ new). I am a little worried about buying a Gen 1 vehicle given the updated tech and 2.9L Turbo engine in the newer vehicles. The 30K maintenance was done on time in Nov 2020, which I think is the most expensive. Am I buying a reliable vehicle with the Gen 1?

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Thanks for this feedback. I am in a similar position regarding New vs Used. I am looking at a 2018 with 32K miles. All maintenance up to date. CPO. $60K (MSRP was $84K+ new). I am a little worried about buying a Gen 1 vehicle given the updated tech and 2.9L Turbo engine in the newer vehicles. The 30K maintenance was done on time in Nov 2020, which I think is the most expensive. Am I buying a reliable vehicle with the Gen 1?
I have a 2018 S model with 15,000 miles I had built. I just bought an extended warranty for it as this is such a great car I don't plan on replacing it in the foreseeable future. Your luck may be different, but I have had no problems.

·
Registered
16' Macan Turbo | Jet Black Metallic | 20
16 Posts
Well the Gun 2 have Audi Engines which IMHO makes it less desirable. That and I'm not fully involve with the new tail lights. Just my 0.02

Reactions: Ttown and TXRed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well the Gun 2 have Audi Engines which IMHO makes it less desirable. That and I'm not fully involve with the new tail lights. Just my 0.02
Thanks for the reply. I am not wild about the Gen 2 taillights either, but it does make it easier to tell them apart! I parked behind a nice looking Macan Turbo last night and immediately realized it was either a 2017 or 2018 and it still looked fresh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 S model with 15,000 miles I had built. I just bought an extended warranty for it as this is such a great car I don't plan on replacing it in the foreseeable future. Your luck may be different, but I have had no problems.
I had not considered an extended warranty beyond the CPO offered by Porsche. I am sure there is info on the forum about these warranties. I think I would be more interested in a service package if available.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
533 Posts
I had not considered an extended warranty beyond the CPO offered by Porsche. I am sure there is info on the forum about these warranties. I think I would be more interested in a service package if available.
Service package is a money maker, for the dealer. Even if there is no chance you’d ever need a service elsewhere, you lose money, and you pay up front for it. Sell the car, total the car, do you get a refund? Think it needs a service before the schedule, are you covered?

While people can argue the value of an extended warranty because of the value for piece of mind, there’s no argument for a service package. Also an Indy will charge about half for routine service. Keep your records and they legally can’t deny your warranty claim (self service is a tougher road, though if you stick to it and have documentation, photos, receipts etc. you SHOULD still prevail).

Remember the service plan won’t cover brakes, alignment, tires, etc. I think a common mistake people make in buying a high mileage premium car is forgetting that the cost of services doesn’t decrease with the price. It just becomes more likely. Do you know what the common services cost? Are you comfortable with those? Is paying $1500 for a set of all season tires going to make your head explode?

A quick look at 2015 S over 100k shows them listed at dealers around 25-27. No one knows exactly what the market will be like in 2 years, but selling privately, 20 seems about right. I think trade you’ll get less unless you are ordering a new 2023, but impossible to be sure right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I was thinking the same idea, .but kept it to myself. I’ve seen some reasonable deals in the last week, even for the GTS. Just the transmission and engine would be big ticket items for me, but not past $10K Max because I would handle it without the dealer getting involved.

I’m leaning away from the idea currently, but warming up to it. I really like the car.

A CPO is a step up, you pay a little extra, their market value plus dealer margin. I wouldn’t do a CPO at the moment. Paying that much more is not worth it to me. My thinking is that it has be a catastrophic failure to make the CPO worth it. But you can lease a good CPO, finance it at a good rate, and perhaps get warranty extensions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts