Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! So, I am coming out of a lease of a 2017 BMW M3C and that car was awesome. BUT, I live in Chicago and it was shitty in the winter even with good winter treads. Add two kids under 6 and I started thinking...Macan! Have never driven an SUV regularly before. Never before been in a Porsche of any kind in my life. Well, I drove a 2020 turbo last month and that was it. Love it. But, it is too pricey for me and the lease options are not great. So, I am searching around for something used that is perfect.

My impressions so far having driven a 2018 Turbo (loaded with AS, Vector, SC.etc.), a loaded 2018 Turbo PP and a loaded 2017 GTS. The Turbo PP was perfect (it really is, as you all know). Not understanding how rare it was/is at the time, I jacked around too long to close a deal on it and now it is gone. The 2018 Turbo was great too, but somehow, someway, it wasn't as satisfying to me as the GTS. Maybe I had a bad day, or maybe I am crazy? The Turbo had the AS and SC, sounded great, but it felt more like driving a real SUV whereas the GTS felt noticeably lower and more comfortable like my M3. I guess I didn't feel the extra 40 horses that much, which surprised me given that I am used to the M3 with 440hp. Perhaps the GTS suspension really is that different? One other thing--the Turbo had 14 way seats but the GTS had 18. 20 inch tires on both.

I think I am too far into the research now and am second guessing myself. Maybe I need a shrink. Losing the PP by haggling too much was stupid in hindsight.

Anyway, I am happy to be here and still looking around for something perfect because I have too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Sounds like you sold yourself on the GTS. I have a Turbo with AS, SC and PSE with 18-way seats, CF, 20"'s. I like it. However, there are a lot here that swear by their GTSs for the same reasons you describe.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I can't help you on the engines. The 2018 S that we ordered is our first Porsche, first performance car of any sort.

I can tell you, after reading the forum for three years, that there are a lot of threads where the subject of 14- vs. 18-way seats come up, even though that's rarely the main topic. The bolsters of the 18-way seats give more support during those times that you're taking corners in a spirited manner; the 14-way seats are more appropriate if you're less agile (getting in and out) and perhaps more calorically challenged.

No "right" choice, of course, but that seems to be the consensus. We have the 14-ways, but my wife and I are in the latter group.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The 18-way seats were a "must have" in finding what I drive now. The 18's, AS, Chrono and NO trailer hitch were the primary ones

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome to the group. Best of luck on your search. I would read up on PTV as well. if you an Audio guy check out the Burmester systems in some of the cars you may be looking at.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Honestly - you won’t go wrong with either choice. The overall consensus on the GTS is that it “feels” and “drives” more like a sports sedan than the other models. Not everyone feels this way, but majority will agree. Having said that, the majority of people will also tell you that the power delivery of the Turbo is how these SUVs should be... full-stop.

The GTS can be tweaked to bring the power delivery more up to Turbo standards (Cobb, BGB tune, etc), but then you have the “warranty” argument to deal with.

The Turbo can be tweaked to get the handing more into the GTS range (lowering the suspension, etc.), but again, you’re having to mod your car to get there.

Obviously, which you already know, the PP is where it’s at... but those are unicorns... so finding one in a format you like may be a long timeframe.

The best answer is drive them both back to back and see which one “speaks” to you more. I really don’t think you will be disappointed regardless if which you choose.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
Someone JUST posted a link on cars.com for a Turbo PP for sale on a different thread... im on my phone and can’t seem to cut and paste the link... it’s in the WTB section...

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
With having two kids under 6, I'm guessing they are still in car seats. My two local grandsons are 4 & 6 and when I grab my son's car seats to take grandpups out for ice cream, (right before dinner of course, because that's what grandpa's do) I have to move my seat way up to fit the 4 yo behind me. I am 6'4" so my seat is all the way back without car seats. If you are on the taller side, something you may want to explore before buying a Macan,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome, folks. And the advice. I am a little guy and I have little kids, so the Macan is cool. We have an X5 for serious business. My car is for taking me to drop off my daughter at school and to work and back. And fun on the weekend, when we used to be able to have fun on weekends.

TXRed, thanks for that link. Wow. I don't know if I have the cajones to drive a red porsche. Or do I?

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
34 Posts
Honestly - you won’t go wrong with either choice. The overall consensus on the GTS is that it “feels” and “drives” more like a sports sedan than the other models. Not everyone feels this way, but majority will agree. Having said that, the majority of people will also tell you that the power delivery of the Turbo is how these SUVs should be... full-stop.

The GTS can be tweaked to bring the power delivery more up to Turbo standards (Cobb, BGB tune, etc), but then you have the “warranty” argument to deal with.

The Turbo can be tweaked to get the handing more into the GTS range (lowering the suspension, etc.), but again, you’re having to mod your car to get there.

Obviously, which you already know, the PP is where it’s at... but those are unicorns... so finding one in a format you like may be a long timeframe.

The best answer is drive them both back to back and see which one “speaks” to you more. I really don’t think you will be disappointed regardless if which you choose.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Copy that 100%. I used to have a GTS, test drove a Turbo on multiple occasions and now have the Turbo PP. While I never drove these cars back to back, I agree 100% with your assessment regarding drive and feel. I did not yet try the new Turbo, but based on what I have seen and read the new engine does not convince me as much, and of course the new Turbo is just standard ride height, now lowered.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo PP, 2013 911S manual, 1991 C4 Coupe
34 Posts
Copy that 100%. I used to have a GTS, test drove a Turbo on multiple occasions and now have the Turbo PP. While I never drove these cars back to back, I agree 100% with your assessment regarding drive and feel. I did not yet try the new Turbo, but based on what I have seen and read the new engine does not convince me as much, and of course the new Turbo is just standard ride height, now lowered.
PS: love the Macan PP so much, almost want a second one :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the group. Best of luck on your search. I would read up on PTV as well. if you an Audio guy check out the Burmester systems in some of the cars you may be looking at.
I have read about the PTV, some. Is it the jam in real life? Seems to be rare, but I have a lead on one that has it. Figure it might be smart for Chicago winters. I would have to sacrifice the interior color (I want red/it is black) but maybe it is worth it?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, folks. And the advice. I am a little guy and I have little kids, so the Macan is cool. We have an X5 for serious business. My car is for taking me to drop off my daughter at school and to work and back. And fun on the weekend, when we used to be able to have fun on weekends.

TXRed, thanks for that link. Wow. I don't know if I have the cajones to drive a red porsche. Or do I?
You’re asking the wrong person...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I went through the thought process from the S to the Turbo. However I always knew in the back of my mind the GTS was the sweet spot for us. I drove all 3 and in the end the GTS is what we got. My wife loves it and so do I. It is her car so I only drive it when it needs something or we are going some where where we need the bigger car. I bought a CPO '17 with 10K miles and loaded to the gills.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts