Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This would be to replace my 2015 Macan Turbo. I've read and understand the basic differences between the 997.1 (Mezger engine) and 997.2 (PDK, 9A1 motor and many other updates).
Since it would be my daily driver, and I live in DC area, I would need AWD.
If I decide on an 'automatic' I would go 997.2 for sure with the PDK.
If I go manual I that opens up the full 997 line for me.
I'd definitely like to go with a coupe (no targa, no cab).
As a daily driver I'm expecting I'll put up to 10k miles on it annually. Not looking to pay a premium for the low mileage car that I'll just lose value on as I add miles. Prefer a higher mileage lower cost up front.
I really like the idea of reducing depreciation (better if it appreciates based on price bought) as it sounds like 997 could hold it's value.
I'm willing to travel for a car (picked up my Macan Turbo in Chicago).
I'd say my budget is $60k
Exterior, I'd go with black, white, silver but could be swayed away from these.
I also love the idea of getting a turbo.

Here are a few options:
$55k 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo Manual https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/802945006/overview/
$61k 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo Manual https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/794307487/overview/
$55k 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S PDK https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/795057853/overview/

Blow my budget:
$78k 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS 6-speed https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/797020806/overview/
$86k 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo PDK https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/787643270/overview/

While very very very few cars are an investment, what would be the best financial buy (least amount of depreciation while using it as a daily driver)?

I see that a 997.2 turbo is going to cost $80k and up - not sure I want to spend that BUT if it's the better buy than I might. Thanks for any input.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
8,947 Posts
Since it would be my daily driver, and I live in DC area, I would need AWD
Why? You cannot DD with summer tires. Below 45 degrees they become like driving on skates. You will curse the idea of driving in the winter with summers. Below 20 degrees they can crack. You're not even supposed to move the car with some tires. Go to tire rack and read about summer tires in the winter.If you DD you need to switch to winters, in which case why do you need a C4? You lose frunk space and gain what? How much snow there? Little to none except once in a while. Sometimes none. I'm not seeing the logic here. Rear engined car. Weight on the rear, just like a VW Bug. Now if you lives in Canada or Buffalo, that might be different. IMO.

As a daily driver I'm expecting I'll put up to 10k miles on it annually. Not looking to pay a premium for the low mileage car that I'll just lose value on as I add miles. Prefer a higher mileage lower cost up front.
A couple of those cars are very high mileage, over 100K for a 911. Those are killer high mileage. Usually over 5K/year is considered high. Just saying. If something needs to be fixed, its going to hurt financially. And then you complicate it by getting AWD. More things to break with high mileage. I don't know what goes bad on a 997.2. @yrralis1 should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@grim - All good points. Seems the winters are more forgiving here as well recently. Perhaps I don’t need a C4. Planned on swapping wheels to winters as well. So C2 with swap for summer/winters is good enough. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,947 Posts
@grim - All good points. Seems the winters are more forgiving here as well recently. Perhaps I don’t need a C4. Planned on swapping wheels to winters as well. So C2 with swap for summer/winters is good enough. Thanks.
Yep, waste of money for a C4 plus the complications of more parts will break. Personally, I'd look for a car with no more than 50K miles since you will be racking up the miles. With snows, no need to worry about the winters.

good luck!

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
I have owned 3 997's (2 were .1 and one was .2) and one 997.1 Turbo. Before I discuss the car further I would start by saying do not buy a PDK 997. The first generation PDK was AWFUL. I found myself at 35 MPH in 7th gear going uphill (normal mode) and in sport mode the older unit was jerky. In contrast the 6 speed manual was amazing . I had BOTH (manual and PDK) at one time.

Also note there are certain years and models to avoid . The 997.1 cars (base, S and C4S) had oil leak engine issues . If one side of the tailpipe was darker its a bad sign. The 05 cars had IMS concerns (thee is a retrofit) . The 09- early 12 manual Dfi cars were great . The 997.1 Turbo had the Gt1 engine (07-09) . The 09 cars had the upgraded technology but it is still very dated . The second gen Turbo and turbo S no longer had the Gt1 engine and became the intergrated engine .

60K buys a 991.1 BTW but the 997.2 manual cars have held strong.
Shop cars under 30K miles . My 07 car only has 23K miles for example. Remember you are buying cars that are roughly 10 years old as a daily driver . warranty and roadside assistance are over , Focus on picking something reliable .

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@yrralis1 - thanks for the reply. That is the exact type of info I was hoping for. So I'll stick to the 6-speed manual and look at the 09-12 years for the 997.2. Also an RWD based on @grim reply.

I'll start by looking at this 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/795035376/overview/. It's close to me and only has 18k miles on it and a simple color combo.

In terms of the car holding it's value, any thoughts on if the trim matters if I'm looking at a 997.2 or is it just get the best price you can :) ? Carrera, Carrera S, or Carrera GTS?

I did find the key differences:
Carrera - 3.6L (345hp), standard suspension, 18" wheels
Carrera S - 3.8L (385hp), PASM suspension -10mm drop, 19" wheels, S brakes
GTS - 3.8L (408hp), GTS tuned PASM -10mm drop, 19" wheels, S brakes, wide body from the Carrera 4, alcantara interior, gts body kit

Time to learn the options. Any must have's dependent on the trim?

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
@yrralis1 - thanks for the reply. That is the exact type of info I was hoping for. So I'll stick to the 6-speed manual and look at the 09-12 years for the 997.2. Also an RWD based on @grim reply.

I'll start by looking at this 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/795035376/overview/. It's close to me and only has 18k miles on it and a simple color combo.

In terms of the car holding it's value, any thoughts on if the trim matters if I'm looking at a 997.2 or is it just get the best price you can :) ? Carrera, Carrera S, or Carrera GTS?

I did find the key differences:
Carrera - 3.6L (345hp), standard suspension, 18" wheels
Carrera S - 3.8L (385hp), PASM suspension -10mm drop, 19" wheels, S brakes
GTS - 3.8L (408hp), GTS tuned PASM -10mm drop, 19" wheels, S brakes, wide body from the Carrera 4, alcantara interior, gts body kit

Time to learn the options. Any must have's dependent on the trim?
That car really brings back memories ! Although mine was an 09 and it was PDK just looking at it reminded me of how much fun a 997 NA car is . It was so long ago that the pics are on my old computer but I did post them here on the day I bought it , (ok I was 11 years younger) Let me wipe this grin off my face - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

I really liked the car . Amazing how they held value .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts