Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Smoke from one pipe is fine. As for the leaks - have you removed the bottom engine cover? It acts like a sponge.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Unless you severely overheated the engine, I would not suspect the worst yet. T-stats and water pumps can start to fail and cause CEL's as a warning. It used to be your temperature gauge would go up, you'd pull over, pop the hood and see steam coming out, and you knew what happened, now if only it were that easy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Aside from the fault codes (which is kinda like saying, "So, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"), isn't it normal upon startup to only see smoke from one side of the tailpipes?

In any event, that def sucks. How many miles did it have on it when you purchased it? Is it CPO? Do you have any extended warranty? If so, def dealer. If not, indy shop.
Good news is I have an extended warranty for 2 years. Has 60k miles on it but NOT through CPO. Have an appointment on Thursday.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seriously doubt it's your head gasket, most are of a MLS design now which is multi-layered steel and are pretty resilient. But I suspect you still have a leak somewhere. Careful with aluminum engines, you need to use the correct coolant and distilled water. Aluminum will corrode if the PH level of the coolest is too acidic.

I remember reading a BMW tech issue where the new 2017-current 6 cylinder engine with the intercooler that is built into the intake pipe near the throttle body has a tendency to have missing coolant. I know you have a Macan but it may just be doing the same thing.

You can look around your engine and search for plastic coolant parts that may a hairline crack. Usually there is some white residue around the leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Seriously doubt it's your head gasket, most are of a MLS design now which is multi-layered steel and are pretty resilient. But I suspect you still have a leak somewhere. Careful with aluminum engines, you need to use the correct coolant and distilled water. Aluminum will corrode if the PH level of the coolest is too acidic.

I remember reading a BMW tech issue where the new 2017-current 6 cylinder engine with the intercooler that is built into the intake pipe near the throttle body has a tendency to have missing coolant. I know you have a Macan but it may just be doing the same thing.

You can look around your engine and search for plastic coolant parts that may a hairline crack. Usually there is some white residue around the leak.
was a crack in a small hose around the intake. They’re trying to find a replacement for me but I’m very relieved. Thanks to you and everyone else in the thread for your help! and Sorry for the freak out. This is my first expensive car and first Porsche lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad to hear that it wasn’t anything serious. Also wanted to say that your profile picture is awesome. I debated between our Samoyed and my Macan. You are making me rethink my decision. Best of luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Glad to hear that it wasn’t anything serious. Also wanted to say that your profile picture is awesome. I debated between our Samoyed and my Macan. You are making me rethink my decision. Best of luck.
Thanks! I don’t have kids so that’s my baby basically. Amazing dogs. She just turned 8 and still acts like the puppy I held at 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Glad you are getting it fixed under warranty. No need to apologize. This is what this forum is for.

Did you take it to a Porsche dealer for repair?

The reason I ask is bc you said:"They’re trying to find a replacement for me "
Porsche would not "try" they would simply obtain the correct part & fix it. You may have to wait, if not in stock.
When under warranty, either manufacturer or 3rd party, you s/b able to repair at the shop of your choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Glad you are getting it fixed under warranty. No need to apologize. This is what this forum is for.

Did you take it to a Porsche dealer for repair?

The reason I ask is bc you said:"They’re trying to find a replacement for me "
Porsche would not "try" they would simply obtain the correct part & fix it. You may have to wait, if not in stock.
When under warranty, either manufacturer or 3rd party, you s/b able to repair at the shop of your choice.
Yeah it’s not in stock so they’re calling other dealerships around Ontario for me :)

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo
9 Posts
Much more likely that you have a damaged or loose hose than anything else. Next most likely is a leaking heater core or radiator or coolant reservoir. Pretty well last on the list is a head gasket.
Odds are you are fine. If the engine detects an anomaly - like perhaps low coolant OR no coolant pressure OR increased temperature it will give you a warning and may enter limp mode.

If you still don't know and are worried about it, check your oil (I know not the easiest either, but loosen the drain plug and get a few drops out. If it looks like oil 99% it's not the head gasket. If it looks like chocolate milk there is water in the oil and that's textbook head gasket stuff. If that is the case DO NOT DRIVE IT to the dealer, even if it will run if you fill up the water. If you have coolant in your oil you are not getting proper lubrication at all.

Personally, I would relax. These engines are bulletproof.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts