Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I am having what I hope isn't a major problem with my 2016 Macan Turbo. I was driving on the highway a few nights ago and went to overtake someone. I didn't give it particularly a lot of gas, maybe 1/2 way to the floor? I got an "Engine Control Fault" code that came up and a loss or power. I pulled off the road and stopped the car for a couple minutes and did some googling as it was late at night and a number of posts led me to believe it was either a vacuum leak or some kind of misfire but that I should be okay to drive it home. I drove it home and it ran fine and the warning actually went away when I restarted it(about 10 mins later).

Car has sat since then. I started it today and the "Engine Control Fault" code still wasn't there, but there was one there for low coolant and to monitor it but driving was okay. Odd I thought. Plans change, on the way to pick up coolant. Get about a block away from home and the "warning" turns red and now I have a critical coolant level warning and am told to stop driving. I turn around and pull it back into my driveway and that's when I see what seems to be a small stream of coolant running down my garage floor.

I've blown a head gasket haven't I? It's getting towed to the shop first thing in the morning, but I've only had the car since Jan and it's my first Porsche and this is my first issue.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Could be a hose or fitting. Best thing to do with a low coolant warning? let the engine cool and then pop the hood and check the coolant level. I wouldn’t sweat it just yet. Any indication the car was in a prior front-end accident?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a hose or fitting. Best thing to do with a low coolant warning? let the engine cool and then pop the hood and check the coolant level. I wouldn’t sweat it just yet. Any indication the car was in a prior front-end accident?
Possibly. The combo of that engine control fault and this together was what led me to the head gasket. As for accidents, nah clean carfax and front end looks very level. Had a friend who owns a bodyshop check it out with me. before I bought it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check for a coolant hose leak.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
A blown head gasket will result in a thick white smoke in the exhaust.

Reactions: MDJAK

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Just add water to fill up the coolant reservoir and start the engine for a brief moment to check.

Reactions: MDJAK

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just add water to fill up the coolant reservoir and start the engine for a brief moment to check.
Agree. Water will not hurt anything at all. Fill to appropriate level and start... watch and look for issues. You should be able to notice a leak rather quickly if there is in fact one.

If you aren’t comfortable doing any of this, then just wait for the pros to inspect it! No harm no foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Guys,
Did the distilled water thing. SO. Light went away. There IS maybe a small amount of whiteish smoke coming from the RIGHT side exhaust. Nothing from the left though. From what I can tell the engine compartment is bone dry and don't see anything coming out of the bottom of the car.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Was your Macan cold? It could be just water vapor.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Guess you’re good. ;)

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Aside from the fault codes (which is kinda like saying, "So, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"), isn't it normal upon startup to only see smoke from one side of the tailpipes?

In any event, that def sucks. How many miles did it have on it when you purchased it? Is it CPO? Do you have any extended warranty? If so, def dealer. If not, indy shop.

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
A blown head gasket will result in a thick white smoke in the exhaust.

NOT necessarily!

There are several ways in which a head gasket can leak. Do some research and you'll discover what I mean.

Meanwhile, be careful about providing incomplete information, which may mislead the reader. The fact is, a leaking head gasket may
result in CLOUDS of white exhaust (engine coolant turned to steam as it goes through the combustion chamber). That is but one possible
symptom of a leaking head gasket.

As noted, your research will uncover other ways in which a head gasket leak may make itself known.

NOTE: There is an acronym called - KISS. Use it when encountering unexpected issues. The root cause of some problem is usually NOT
the most complicated nor drastic. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

While it is possible the OP's Macan has a head gasket issue, let's check the simplest and most obvious things forst. It it's none of those, we
will work our way to the more complex possibilities.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
Aside from the fault codes (which is kinda like saying, "So, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"), isn't it normal upon startup to only see smoke from one side of the tailpipes?

In any event, that def sucks. How many miles did it have on it when you purchased it? Is it CPO? Do you have any extended warranty? If so, def dealer. If not, indy shop.

Yes - it is normal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts