Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Most panels are fiberglass or aluminum which are not magnetic. I say this in regard to someone measuring paint depth. If done by a Porsche dealership or their designated body shop, you have a good chance they can make it right. But remember, do their expectations match your expectations on what the fnished product should look like?

If it's any consolation, I purchased an X5, CPO'd. I found previous front end damage. I could see the swirl marks under the clear coat! Plus there was some radiator and trim pieces that were missing hardware, like screws and bolts...

Dealerships ARE ALLOWED to sell damaged/repaired vehicles and ARE NOT REQUIRED BY LAW to disclose ths information to you, the buyer. I have a relative that acknowledges this is standard across the car industry.

If you can get them to make it right; if this is the vehicle you are keeping for a few years; if you take pride in what you drive, fight for what YOU expect. Tell them. Have them repeat it back to you what you told them. This way, everyone is on the same page.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I purchased my macan from an Audi dealer out of state on pics alone. There was a chip in one wheel undisclosed and after sending pics, they reimbursed the estimate I got from a local Porsche dealer. Btw all wheel shops I spoke to refused to even repaint/powder coat a single wheel (satin grey sport classic) due to risk of color match issues. The local Porsche dealer was confident in sending to their wheel guy but so far I have left as is. Obviously your damage is different order of magnitude.

This is so deflating to hear happen and to hear a Porsche dealer would do this knowing most of their buyers are enthusiasts, just brazen AF! It would absolutely crush me. Wish you the best and hopefully the dealer/PCNA come to their senses.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is just so stunning and brazen that they would ship you a late-model, CPO'ed car with obvious damage and expect you to not notice or care! What parallel universe does that sales guy live in?! Hope you get this worked out to your satisfaction.
In may I bought 2018 718 BOXSTER CPO 200 miles away.
the SA sent detailed photos including the wheels.
they replaced the clear bra on 2 panels and repaired 1 SMALL nick on the front lip.
when I picked up the car it was perfect.
the dealer that sold that car to U needs to be reported to PNA as a very poor example Of a Porche dealership.
i consider it downright unethical and dishonest that these issues where not brought to ur attention .
I would report them to the BBB dispute the CC etc.
if u have the wherewithal I would fight them tooth and nail
good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can you return the car to the selling dealer for a refund?

I have learned over the years that people have widely different attention to detail; I feel like your damage is right in the middle where your salesperson is either simply careless OR was aware and dishonest.

One of my favorite quotes and true 99% of the time "never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

In any case I would not keep the car. The problem is any repair will devalue the car. You will be able to tell the color mismatch at the finest shop unless they paint & blend the entire car.

The car will go to someone who would not notice those scrapes or would incur them within a week of owning it. While I am not one of them, there are plenty of those people out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you for everyone who has weighed in here. Unfortunately, this issue has still not been resolved over 1 month post delivery.

Here's a bit of an update. Since receiving the original quote for repair, the dealership where I purchased the car sent me back to the local dealer for another opinion. This time they called ahead and I was sent to a local detailer / touch up place. The claim is that this place does a great work, and touches up all of the CPO cars for my local Chicago area dealer, Loeber Porsche.

I bring the car into the detailer, and they quote me $2000 to properly sand, repaint, blend, and finish in a way that will be mostly unnoticeable. I immediately forward the quote over to the dealership that sold me the car, and have still not heard back.

They apparently called Loeber and complained that this type of repair "wasn't what we talked about" - insinuating that the repair this local shop is quoting isn't a mere touch up. I know this because I called the local CPO manager to just gut check the total repair cost, and he told me that he'd already received a call from the selling dealership.

The sales manager from the dealership said he was working on it after I began texting somewhat furiously. He promised me a call yesterday, which never came.

I'm now in a situation where my brand new car is parked about 45 minutes away waiting on a thumbs up or thumbs down on the work.... leaving me without the car. If I green light the work it will be at least 4 days before I receive it back.

I'm thinking of emailing the general manager of the dealership I purchased from to bring him up to speed on the situation. I'm also thinking of contact my credit card provider with the original $3700 quote and requesting a refund.

Last option might be to contact a lawyer and have them serve up a letter to the dealership... any other thoughts? I'm sort of at the end of my rope here.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
You have taken on a part time job in self torture . STOP !!!!! At this point (2 weeks or so later) forget the attorney , or the repair, Do not put one cent into that car.

I looked at Loebner inventory of new cars (your local dealership who is trying to help you and is somehow stuck in the middle of this drama) . Take the GTS , get a trade in number , and pick any NEW car off the lot that even comes close to anything that you can live with . BTW . I did this when my custom Turbo was crashed and walked out with a lot car GTS . It may not have every option but it will be a new car with no problems and there is never a bad thing as a new Porsche .

Many talk about "saving up for a rainy day". This car of yours is your rainy day !! Time to move on .

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd say you are a much more forgiving soul than I am. I would have been up that dealers ass, posting this on their FB/Insta/Twitter already. Same for PCNA. And yes if your CC company will help you 30 days out, you should avail yourself of that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow, you guys who suggest getting attorneys involved etc should understand that they aren't cheap @ typically $400/hour. A couple of letters back and forth from an attorney and you're talking about $2000 easy. Is it worth it for a couple of scratches? Unless this is a "weekend" car that you never leave at a parking lot, you are definitely going to get scratches and dings on the car. What happens if you spend a few thousand for a repaint to make it perfect and the next day at your local shopping center someone dings your car?

Just looks like you're setting yourself up for too much stress owning such a car.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Wow, you guys who suggest getting attorneys involved etc should understand that they aren't cheap @ typically $400/hour. A couple of letters back and forth from an attorney and you're talking about $2000 easy. Is it worth it for a couple of scratches? Unless this is a "weekend" car that you never leave at a parking lot, you are definitely going to get scratches and dings on the car. What happens if you spend a few thousand for a repaint to make it perfect and the next day at your local shopping center someone dings your car?

Just looks like you're setting yourself up for too much stress owning such a car.
This is the second time you voice that attorneys are simply in business to take clients money . If that were the case no litigation attorney would stay in business . They are paid to win cases and in the domain of auto dealership fraud it is often that those fees are collected from the losing party . In consultation he would find out and many consultations are free .

The attorney is well aware that the client was victimized by the dealership and isn't going to further victimize him with a losing case and a bill. If he cant win he wont even take the case .

He's not voicing "stress "about owning the car or getting a ding. He did voice being "disappointed " (first post) having bought a car expecting it to arrive undamaged before he even sat in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This is the second time you voice that attorneys are simply in business to take clients money . If that were the case no litigation attorney would stay in business . They are paid to win cases and in the domain of auto dealership fraud it is often that those fees are collected from the losing party . In consultation he would find out and many consultations are free .

The attorney is well aware that the client was victimized by the dealership and isn't going to further victimize him with a losing case and a bill. If he cant win he wont even take the case .

He's not voicing "stress "about owning the car or getting a ding. He did voice being "disappointed " (first post) having bought a car expecting it to arrive undamaged before he even sat in it.
This is exactly the point.

I bought the car with an understanding that there was no existing damage to the paint. I live in winter and when paint is removed, rust follows.

I will definitely scratch the car and it doesn't bother me at all. I have zero stress about that. I live in a major city.. It's inevitable. If it's this deep I will get it repaired again.

We have two other cars.. One is sort of a beater jeep grand Cherokee that we use for runs to and from home depot, etc. We had a similar situation that we left unresolved which ended with a lot of rust in just a few years time. We ended up replacing a front passenger door - not where I want to start with this purchase.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I didn't say "attorneys are simply in business to take clients money." I have worked with many AV rated attorneys on various issues, so I have direct experience in the area. They are needed for LARGE cases. I just don't believe cases that involve sums lower than $5K are worth attorney involvement. Sure, you can get an initial free consultation, but anything involving a good attorney will be in the thousands of dollars. As for criminal charges, I seriously doubt the district attorney's office will take a case like this - they've got much more serious issues to worry about than a dispute about scratches on your Porsche. I'm willing to bet you your paycheck on that one ;-)

I understand the OP is upset, I would be too. If it makes you happy, consult an attorney. But I believe the realistic path is to settle on an amount directly with the seller and move on. Makes sure the scratch doesn't lead to rust and don't stress out. There will be other scratches - there are many people who drive beaters who will ding your car in the parking lot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agreed in principle to purchase a CPO Mercedes CLS63 a few years ago from an out of state dealer about 110 miles away. One of the dealership employees picked me up and brought me to the dealership where I discovered a few scratches like you posted in those pictures. I was 110 miles from my house and this was before Uber/Lyft really took off, so I was completely stuck there. Calling my wife to come pick me up on a Tuesday night with a 1 and 2 year old at the time was simply not an option. The dealer agreed to pay for the repairs at my local Mercedes approved bodyshop, although it did take some persistence on my part. I should've received this in writing, but I took the GM's word. Ended up being $3,200 to have the panels repaired and re-sprayed, although I can't imagine that the dealer actually paid the "customer price" at the end of the day. I had another vehicle to drive at the time, so I don't remember being too upset, but it was frustrating.

Dealers will work with you and with social media being the way it is, I'd have to think that the dealer will make you whole. For most dealers, the last thing they want is a customer blasting their dealership on a Porsche specific forum with concrete evidence that the dealership is in the wrong.

Best of luck,

21 - 34 of 34 Posts