Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all -

I'm in a bit of a pickle. We were searching for a specific color and interior combo on a CPO GTS and ended up buying it from far away and shipping it to Chicago. The transaction was smooth but when the transit company picked up the vehicle they noted damage to the passenger side front door, back door, and rear quarter panel.

The damage is obvious and was not noted by the selling dealership despite asking for all imperfections. There were also scratches/gouges to the dash - significant dings to the leather above the entertainment unit.

Focusing on the outside - the 3-4 scratches are small in each spot but definitely requires a full sand and repaint. I was very disappointed as we live in Chicago weather and expect rust to be an issue at some point if unresolved.

At the instruction of the selling dealership, I bring the car to a local dealer who confirms the scratches are too deep for a buff. They refer me to a Porsche certified collision center for an estimate. Of course the collision center recommends a removal of doors and rear panel, refinish, and then recalibration of the 360 camera system - all to the tune of $3700.

The original dealer is refusing to pay and offered to call the local Porsche dealer to find out who they do their touch ups with - citing that they wouldn't send them to the certified collision center.

The certified collision center and local dealer both have already informed me that there is no way that Porsche would allow a spot touch up fix for a cpo vehicle.

Any thoughts on this situation? Do I demand they do the work? Contact Porsche North America?

What are the expectations with this type of damage on a cpo car?

Thanks for the help - and sorry for the lengthy write up.

Edit adding pics:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This is definitely a Vlasic situation as you described. You might have to suck this one up and pay for the repairs. You could have requested the selling dealer provide you a minimum of 50 closeup pictures of every panel on the the car or asked a forum member near the dealer to inspect the car for a Gift Card etc. Car dealers cannot be trusted anymore and you need to get creative to cover the behind. Good luck with the repairs and getting your Macan on the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is difficulty a Vlasic situation as you described. You might have to suck this one up and pay for the repairs. You could have requested the selling dealer provide you a minimum of 50 closeup pictures of every panel on the the car or asked a forum member near the dealer to inspect the car for a Gift Card etc. Car dealers cannot be trusted anymore and you need to get creative to cover the behind. Good luck with the repairs and getting your Macan on the road.
Not what I was hoping to hear! The nuclear option is to get my credit card company involved as I paid a bit of the down payment on a credit card for the protection.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Not what I was hoping to hear! The nuclear option is to get my credit card company involved as I paid a bit of the down payment on a credit card for the protection.
That certainly would be worth a try, the CC Companies usually side with the cardholder from my experience. Post back with any resolution and good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can you post pics of said damage? Also curious what color combo you couldn’t find locally. It seems my dealer takes in 2 GTS cars a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Color combo is probably not that rare - but we hadn't seen any locally in a long time. It's volcano Grey with black gts interior / red stitching. This one was also optioned really nicely to around 90k.

Pics here, tricky to capture the dash damage..

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
PCNA will be great at listening . They will sound sympathetic because that's their job . BUT they do not engage in customer/dealership disputes like this . I feel you are wasting your time . In fact I feel you are wasting your time doing any of this grunt work .

If it were me ---
1) If I chose to keep the car and fight it --
Upon receiving the car and not satisfied , I would have called the dealership and told them it's coming right back to them on the very next truck . I would take clear pictures , video, and keep every document . I would hire an attorney on the same day and have him (or her) handle EVERYTHING. IN a consultation I would discuss a full refund potential but if not then every other avenue plus compensation will be discussed .

2) If I chose to immediately make the change
If I had to eat 3700 and end up with a used painted car with who knows what other problems I would be livid . I'd consider trading it in and end it right here because this obviously is not fun . I would consider those things and ask that dealership to put a trade in number on the car while its still there .

I would absolutely not put one more cent into that car or even spend stressful time with a car that just arrived .

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Edit -- I looked at the pictures . They(selling dealership) really suck !
The problem with number 1 above is that you have to hope that everything else is ok with the car . Once a trust is broken the whole deal is no good .
Get a trade in number on the car (to at least see what its really worth) and speak to an attorney . The consultation might even be free (up to the attorney discretion) .
My heart goes out to you but empathy doesn't pay the bills.

Let us know . and once agin , they really suck !
Good luck !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you try to see if any of the scratches appear in any pictures that you have received prior to the purchase? Blow them up to see if you can see anything.

You mention that the transit company noted the scratches at pickup. How did you learn this? Did they contact you about the scratches prior to delivery or after? Was the delivery contract with you or the selling dealer? If the dealer contracted directly the dealer you will be in a better position.

I'd dispute the deposit with the credit card company ASAP. Document everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They do. The shipping company took full pictures before loading the car. That's how I first found out about the issues.

Lots of good advice here. Going to likely get in touch with the CC company first to start a dispute.

Also good to know I'm not crazy - and should expect more from the dealership.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That's terrible, I feel for you. I would get your credit card company involved, and I don't consider that nuclear at all. While it may not be simple to prove, it sounds like you may have a fraud claim since you asked to be advised of imperfections and the selling dealer knew you weren't local. The fact that the shipping company noted the issues when they went to pick up the car seems helpful to you. You may also contact the state attorney general's office for the state where the selling dealer is located and explain the situation and get their views. They may decide to look into this. The seller's actions may constitute a violation of the applicable state's deceptive trade practices act.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I might be wrong but a CPO sold car must not have blemishes such as you describe. If they sold it as a CPO car and the transport company documented the issues when they picked up the vehicle I do believe the dealer and/or PCNA can be held responsible. You might have use some sort of litigation path to resolve the matter.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
It might just be me but that is the size of purchase that would have me fly to the dealership and see the car myself before committing to a purchase. Only then I would have it loaded on the truck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Madman is it clear from the pictures taken by the carrier that the pictures were taken before pickup and loading? Any chance the carrier is trying to cover up damage they caused?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Honestly get another quote if you want to pay yourself. I have multiple express insurance certified collision shops in Canada. If it's just scratches and its just those 2 panels in the picture. So painting 2 panels on the macan. It should cost 1800 + taxes max (and this is a high quote) 3 panels maybe 2400. But doors and a quarter panel dont get removed to paint them :) the items attached to them do, handles, mouldings, bumpers and any removable item flush against the paint being worked on. In fact, you upload a picture from far showing all scratches and I'll write you an estimate on the American Mitchell estimating program. You just apply the hourly rate applicable to your area and you have your honest pricing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Madman is it clear from the pictures taken by the carrier that the pictures were taken before pickup and loading? Any chance the carrier is trying to cover up damage they caused?
Yeah - the shipping company took pictures from the lot before they moved the car. Clearly visible in the background is the dealer and salesman who helped him load it. They are definitely running above board. All damage well documented and forwarded as they picked it up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly get another quote if you want to pay yourself. I have multiple express insurance certified collision shops in Canada. If it's just scratches and its just those 2 panels in the picture. So painting 2 panels on the macan. It should cost 1800 + taxes max (and this is a high quote) 3 panels maybe 2400. But doors and a quarter panel dont get removed to paint them :) the items attached to them do, handles, mouldings, bumpers and any removable item flush against the paint being worked on. In fact, you upload a picture from far showing all scratches and I'll write you an estimate on the American Mitchell estimating program. You just apply the hourly rate applicable to your area and you have your honest pricing.
Not a bad call. I just heard back from the local dealer again and they want me to bring the car back in for another look. There is some belief on both of our parts that this might be a better touch up job, if done by someone who can do a half way decent job.

Even if its not perfect, this might outweigh the risk of repainting 3 panels on the car, matching, value loss, etc. Thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
First and foremost. If it's in house and not insurance typically doesnt even get pinned to the car so it shouldn't de value the vehicle. Promise you touch up is visible though. It's like scratching a wood kitchen cabinet then drawing over the scratch with a brown permenant marker lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah - the shipping company took pictures from the lot before they moved the car. Clearly visible in the background is the dealer and salesman who helped him load it. They are definitely running above board. All damage well documented and forwarded as they picked it up.
That makes disputing the down payment all the easier. You in a different state than the selling dealer? I’m thinking it might make filing a small claims court action for the balance you might be out easier. While things are still fresh try to get some written confirmation of the damage from the transit company if you don’t already have it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is just so stunning and brazen that they would ship you a late-model, CPO'ed car with obvious damage and expect you to not notice or care! What parallel universe does that sales guy live in?! Hope you get this worked out to your satisfaction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts