Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just to put the shop's "a custom tune is needed" theory to rest, uninstall the COBB tune and reinstall the stock program. If the low boost pressure persists you should have your answer.
I never believed in that thought anyhow. Apparently these intercoolers do not require a tune and can be ran without. I have uninstalled the COBB Tune and tested and still having the same fault. Then I reinstalled and again and having the same fault.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay some good news! It was a combo of things! One of the hose’s to the intercooler wasn’t tightened enough (which is what I thought) and the other was a diverter valve/BOV that was failing or getting stuck causing the loss of boost pressure, cleaned the piston and problem fixed, getting over 20psi of boost now since the install of the coolers

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Great news Andrew !
How long have these BOV’s been on....that they needed cleaning ? I for sure would not want that to be a regular Occurrence....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Great news Andrew !
How long have these BOV’s been on....that they needed cleaning ? I for sure would not want that to be a regular Occurrence....
Great news Andrew !
Having just completed an AMS install a month ago, I agree with what Jon said. The left side in particular is difficult to get in as easily as the right side due to the location of aircon piping. Further, the factory uses 'snap couplings' where the intercooler hoses connect to the turbos and the left side turbo fitting is difficult to access easily. I ended up removing the left air cleaner assembly completely to get a good pull at the connector from the top. When inserting the new alloy adapters you need to be sure they are pushed fully in so they will lock into the snap coupler. Apart from that, there are four main hose clamps that needed to be tightened correctly when the silicon hoses are fitted to the intercoolers.

Other places to be careful are where the diverter valves mount to the face of the bottom tanks, the plastic right angle adapters are a push and twist fitting with a lock screw and providing the o rings are not damaged should seal. I did have an issue with the right hand diverter mount as the intercooler was not correctly finish machined (it was 0.2 mm too small and had no chamfer) but I corrected the error as it was too far to be sending it back ... The diverter valve hoses normally use squeeze clamps for sealing - I prefer screw type hose clamps and made a change when fitting the new Evoms Diverters.

When doing such an installation, it is well worth going over every hose connection three times before buttoning everything up and replacing the bumper - to be sure! By far the most common boost leak is the main large hose connecting the Y inlet pipe to the front of the engine just behind the radiator top edge, there is a chance that the newer free flowing intercoolers are just adding a little more boost than in the past (especially if you have a Cobb tune added too) and it has popped this large hose connection.

Looking forward to the Flat 6 video, after doing the job myself it will be nice to compare the 'joys'. :oops: ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Great news Andrew !
So basically I had Turbosmart BOV vent to atmosphere on for 6 months and apparently it was only the drivers side valve that had some gunk in it!! It could of been the shop who were playing around with the valve when there were installing the intercooler but either way they managed to clean it up and hopefully it was only a one time occurrence. I’ll get post a video of it! It’s pretty cool to see

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So basically I had Turbosmart BOV vent to atmosphere on for 6 months and apparently it was only the drivers side valve that had some gunk in it!! It could of been the shop who were playing around with the valve when there were installing the intercooler but either way they managed to clean it up and hopefully it was only a one time occurrence. I’ll get post a video of it! It’s pretty cool to see
Is it electronically controlled ?
Are you taking about the Blow off Valve? I don’t know any BOV that’s electronically controlled?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I’m guessing that’s a boost controller right? I thought you were taking about an electronic BOV which I’ve never heard of before but a boost controller yes!!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
The Turbosmart BOV controller is an electronic device which controls the pressure signal to the BOV. It works by detecting a negative voltage change in throttle position. It then energises a solenoid to vent all of the air out of the BOV cap, causing a pressure differential between the piston of the BOV and the cap which will vent pressure from the intake system.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thats what I thought you had , as you mentioned Turbosmart BOV :)
No unfortunately I don’t have this setup! I should though! I just have the Turbosmart Hybrid BOV which vents to atmosphere, which replaces the OEM diverter valve. Sounds good and basically should do a better job than OEM

·
Registered
337 Posts
No unfortunately I don’t have this setup! I should though! I just have the Turbosmart Hybrid BOV which vents to atmosphere, which replaces the OEM diverter valve. Sounds good and basically should do a better job than OEM
Got a link of what you got?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes we did thanks Jon for your reply! I’m going in to the shop tomorrow for them to go over there work! If that doesn’t fix anything I’m going to get a smoke test to check for leaks.
So how did it go with your visit back to the tuner shop? Just curious.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts