Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
The manual states that the washers operate automatically every 10 wipes of the windscreen when headlights are dipped.

@PSEE, this is not how we activate it. There is actually a button on the bottom of the wiper stock that you must push for them to activate and there is small graphic on the bottom of the stock that shows that button operation as headlight washers. Certain conditions must apply for them to active so for example, they cannot be activated when the car is standing still.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
@PSEE, this is not how we activate it. There is actually a button on the bottom of the wiper stock that you must push for them to activate and there is small graphic on the bottom of the stock that shows that button operation as headlight washers. Certain conditions must apply for them to active so for example, they cannot be activated when the car is standing still.
That must be why I was unable to test mine. My car was standing still. Where does it say that in the manual?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'll have to test if mine work (brand new '18). Guess I'll have to run a hose onto the windshield and run the wipers. I don't see how they would be effective. If they create an issue with the lenses then maybe I'll just disconnect them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
@iconoclast, sure, here it is. It does not say anything about going at speed so I may be wrong since the manual only states that low or high beams need to be on for it to work.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Thanks, I remember looking at that page.
I think I failed to manually turn on my lights.

I was about to wash the car & think I left lights on auto & held the hose to run water on the windshield while reaching in & pressing up on button C.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I always thought headlight washers were mandatory in the EU and why we get them here as carryover. On my old GTI, VW loves to decontent cars for North America so the bumper plugs are there but there are no jets underneath. If Porsche was decontenting too, I would think it be cheaper to leave the covers and just not have the components underneath but it looks like there are no covers at all on the 2019 so maybe EU laws have changed. With that said, I deactivated them on our Audi because they make a bloody mess when activated so I wish I could do the same on the Macan.

As for the fog lights, I don't think they make any difference on or off with my LED PDLS so I pretty much never use them and not worth it to me to turn the headlight knob out of auto to activate. Maybe if they were yellow, they would be more useful in fog and rain but being color matched white with the headlights, the road looks pretty much the same to me either way. They just make the front look cooler when viewed from outside.

·
Registered
895 Posts
My theory is that yes they are trying to simplify but second the washers potentially creating hairline cracks in the lens and I remember someone on the forum successfully replaced the lenses under warranty which may have prompted the design change. Interesting how some features disappear over time.

I have the hairline cracks on both of my set of lenses (stock Xenons and the in black Xenons that replaced them) and will push for warranty replacement during my appointment next week. You can see them spreading from the washer line into the lens and they have gotten worse since the last time I checked them about 6 months ago.
My headlight units were replaced under warranty because of crazing in the lens, not on the surface. Most likely a bad part during production This is not washer fluid related. After replacing them make certain your dealer adjusts the light units. My dealer didn't thinkng they were self adjusting like the LED units. The Xenons are not self adjsting.

·
Registered
452 Posts
@mstraka, thank you for the clarification as I was referring to your case for hairline cracks and replacement under warranty. I guess we do not have a case yet so I will ask the dealer to consider replacing mine due to the hairline cracks as it is getting worse and I have about 9 months of factory warranty left so time to start looking for things to be replaced if broken.

As far as self adjusting, I assume you mean the height of the beam when headlight units are replaced. I replaced mine myself (from Xenon to Xenon in Black) and did not see any difference in the beam pattern but would not know how to adjust if need be. However, all I can tell is that they do the point and swivel dance when the car is started so I thought this is the adjustment routine upon startup as it levels them depending on the car grade angle.

·
Registered
895 Posts
@mstraka, thank you for the clarification as I was referring to your case for hairline cracks and replacement under warranty. I guess we do not have a case yet so I will ask the dealer to consider replacing mine due to the hairline cracks as it is getting worse and I have about 9 months of factory warranty left so time to start looking for things to be replaced if broken.

As far as self adjusting, I assume you mean the height of the beam when headlight units are replaced. I replaced mine myself (from Xenon to Xenon in Black) and did not see any difference in the beam pattern but would not know how to adjust if need be. However, all I can tell is that they do the point and swivel dance when the car is started so I thought this is the adjustment routine upon startup as it levels them depending on the car grade angle.
The dealer should do the height adjustment. It is explained in the owner's manual. Dealer told me each unit was nearly $2000 each. So get it done during warranty. Here's the pics of mine so the dealer knows its not just your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
According to the owner's manual, the headlight washers are run automatically when the wipers
are in use:
I believe that's true so long as 'wipes' means 'washes'. So every 10 times in a single drive you push the windshield wash it would activate the headlight wash is my understanding of that.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
+1 for no big deal the washers are not there for 2019 as they make it more difficult to swap the headlights and they potentially damage the lenses by the washing fluid as I noted. The question to those who never used them @TripleL and @Jshore, do you have the same hairline cracks as we do since we only used them a few times.
I went out and checked this morning I do not have any hairline cracks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I always thought headlight washers were mandatory in the EU and why we get them here as carryover. On my old GTI, VW loves to decontent cars for North America so the bumper plugs are there but there are no jets underneath. If Porsche was decontenting too, I would think it be cheaper to leave the covers and just not have the components underneath but it looks like there are no covers at all on the 2019 so maybe EU laws have changed. With that said, I deactivated them on our Audi because they make a bloody mess when activated so I wish I could do the same on the Macan.

As for the fog lights, I don't think they make any difference on or off with my LED PDLS so I pretty much never use them and not worth it to me to turn the headlight knob out of auto to activate. Maybe if they were yellow, they would be more useful in fog and rain but being color matched white with the headlights, the road looks pretty much the same to me either way. They just make the front look cooler when viewed from outside.

The washers feature is optional on current Macan correct? Whether it's equipped or not the headlights still have the black washer caps on them.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The washers feature is optional on current Macan correct? Whether it's equipped or not the headlights still have the black washer caps on them.
It was standard on our 2018 S (configured Aug. 2017). From the configuration output PDF (under "Lighting Systems," i.e., well before the user-specified options):

• Bi-Xenon headlights with dynamic headlight leveling, headlight cleaning system, and integrated 4-point LED daytime running lights

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It was standard on our 2018 S (configured Aug. 2017). From the configuration output PDF (under "Lighting Systems," i.e., well before the user-specified options):

• Bi-Xenon headlights with dynamic headlight leveling, headlight cleaning system, and integrated 4-point LED daytime running lights

On the base model it still has the washer caps, but it's not equipped.

I think the washer is not a standard feature throughout all trims.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Xenon on my S, last month of warranty. I brought mine in for the faulty transfer case, and mentioned that I had a hazing inside the xenon unit lens. My cracks weren't as bad as some of the pictures, but they replaced them without much pushing.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
@sergeyb I don't (fingers crossed) have the hairline cracks on my HL lenses. I tested the washer system once when taking delivery of my S in March '15 and luckily that was the last time I tried it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts