Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Macan S that was purchased used with ~30k miles and the porsche certified warranty. I'm at about 38k miles now, a year later.

A couple of months ago, the driver's side headlight washer cover popped off. I took a look and the way the cover clamps onto the actual headlight washer pump, and the plastic that holds the cover onto the washer broke.

I decided to fix it myself and... well, I realized expensive german cars aren't quite as easy to work on as the japanese cars I'm used to. I needed to replace the entire pump, but ran into a bunch of issues along the way, like losing the clip for the washer fluid line that plugs into the pump, replacing that, splitting the washer fluid line, then having to remove the head light and messing with the alignment of the headlight to the hood. Finally got it fixed, but it was painful.

Then, the passenger side one popped off! WTF? Anyone else have this issue? I searched long and hard on the forums and haven't seen anything. I'm definitely considering taking this one in for warranty repair.

(note in the pic you can see a spot where I attempted to plastic weld the connector for the cover back on. It didn't work and I'm out another cover ?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If it is covered by warranty, why DIY?

If not covered by warranty, can you just do a cosmetic fix & never use it?

I think MY2019 will not even have this useless feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is one of those automotive problems that can give you a cranial aneurism. How much is that cover?
The cover was maybe $20. The pump is the actual issue, and cost more like 40 bucks.

In 13 months and 19,400 miles of ownership, I haven't ever activated this feature. And now I'm afraid to.:eek:
It turns on automatically every 10 times you manually activate the front windshield spray. I wish I could turn it off permanently (probably super easy to do, just remove the fuse). It's also possible to turn on by hitting the bottom of the right stalk.

If it is covered by warranty, why DIY?

If not covered by warranty, can you just do a cosmetic fix & never use it?

I think MY2019 will not even have this useless feature.
Not sure if it's covered by warranty. I didn't check yet. I tend to DIY because I've been working on cars for so long. This is the first porsche I've owned, and I'm starting to learn why people tend to stick to the warranty :)

Unfortunately, not possible to easily do a cosmetic fix because the cover doesn't have anything to attach to (the piece broke off). I may try to look more into it and see if I can find a solution + removing the fuse.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
It turns on automatically every 10 times you manually activate the front windshield spray. I wish I could turn it off permanently (probably super easy to do, just remove the fuse). It's also possible to turn on by hitting the bottom of the right stalk.
Oh, I know how to turn it on manually, but was not aware of the "10 times you manually activate the front windshield spray" function. Is that "10 times" a cumulative count, since we took possession of the car? Or is it during one driving experience, i.e., since the engine was turned on, but before turning it off?

It turns out that we haven't used the windshield spray very much, either. After 13 months/19,000 miles, I think we're still on the factory windshield-fluid fillup. (We use the wipers a lot, mostly on the automatic setting, but not the spray. Maybe frequent car washes keep it clean enough.)

My plan is to test out the headlight spray, manually, shortly before the warranty expires, just to make sure they work.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I know how to turn it on manually, but was not aware of the "10 times you manually activate the front windshield spray" function. Is that "10 times" a cumulative count, since we took possession of the car? Or is it during one driving experience, i.e., since the engine was turned on, but before turning it off?

It turns out that we haven't used the windshield spray very much, either. After 13 months/19,000 miles, I think we're still on the factory windshield-fluid fillup. (We use the wipers a lot, mostly on the automatic setting, but not the spray. Maybe frequent car washes keep it clean enough.)

My plan is to test out the headlight spray, manually, shortly before the warranty expires, just to make sure they work.
Yeah, it's cumulative since you took possession of the car - at least, that's how I read it from the manual.

Down in TX when the bugs come out we are spraying the windshield pretty often :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys -

I can move this thread along a bit but hoping for someone to chime in who has had some experience with this item. I've had the same issue (right headlight washer cap flying off) and did my homework on the parts needed. Same as with the OP, the plastic piece into which the cap "plugs" into is damaged. The only way to replace is to replace the

JET Carrier Nozzle (Porsche part # 95B-955-100-A).

With respect to the actual caps, the part # for the right one is: 95B 955 284 A

I dropped in the part diagram of this assembly.

HELP - the help I need is to actually replace the carrier nozzle (Image # 1 or the one below # 3). I ordered the part but cant seem to figure out how to replace it...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh man. That looks complex, what did the dealer say??

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Anyone know what Porsche charges to fix this if NOT under warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this quick fix today!
Warning, you need to treat the pop up feature like a snake.
First, find a person that activate the headlights washer while you snap the pop out assembly before going back down. Be gentle but firm as the assembly will try to go down all the time. But dont be too rough to break it.
second, look for a strong plastic hair clip so that you restrain the assembly from going down again.
then bring the base cover and put the closed hole side first and then the other sliding side to snap in place.
remove gently the plastic hair clip and let it go back down, and Voila’ you are done!.
It is actually Much simpler than it sounds.
You just need to treat the assembly like a venomous snake and dont let go. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I just did this quick fix today!
Warning, you need to treat the pop up feature like a snake.
First, find a person that activate the headlights washer while you snap the pop out assembly before going back down. Be gentle but firm as the assembly will try to go down all the time. But dont be too rough to break it.
second, look for a strong plastic hair clip so that you restrain the assembly from going down again.
then bring the base cover and put the closed hole side first and then the other sliding side to snap in place.
remove gently the plastic hair clip and let it go back down, and Voila’ you are done!.
It is actually Much simpler than it sounds.
You just need to treat the assembly like a venomous snake and dont let go. Good luck!
Interesting instructions, which will probably help out someone.

More importantly (as I see this is your first post): welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting instructions, which will probably help out someone.

More importantly (as I see this is your first post): welcome to the forum.
Thank you wspollack.
yes I searched this forum looking for this fix but found the way to do it myself and wanted to share back to the forum.
We juat bought a used 2017 Macan S with very low mileage (16,900) and came with that headlight washer base cover missing. I guess if something else needs to be taken care of I will return to this forum more often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts