Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get a dash cam, and prefer it to be a stealth install. I've also come to the conclusion that the rear view mirror is too small for me and want something bigger to improve visibility out the back end.

Has anyone done this, and is it fairly straightforward or am I asking for trouble with some integrated electronics BS? As far as I can tell, all my mirror has is the auto-dimming feature.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I plan to get a dash cam, and prefer it to be a stealth install. I've also come to the conclusion that the rear view mirror is too small for me and want something bigger to improve visibility out the back end.

Has anyone done this, and is it fairly straightforward or am I asking for trouble with some integrated electronics BS? As far as I can tell, all my mirror has is the auto-dimming feature.
The other day I was looking at this addition:

https://www.hdmirrorcam.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this question as well.
I noticed the rear view mirror on the ‘17 to be oddly shaped and quite small. Is this something that can be easily replaced?

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
....I noticed the rear view mirror on the ‘17 to be oddly shaped and quite small. Is this something that can be easily replaced?
I thought there was a revised mirror design starting with the 2017 model year? Anyway, Suncoast sells the newer design as a retrofit. Have a look at this link and see if that's sometime you'd be interested in. The third picture on their webpage show a side-by-side comparison of the old design vs. the new one.

You'll have to specify whether it's manual dimming, or auto dimming. Also note that you might be able to get it cheaper at your local dealership, since that avoids shipping charges. Plus if you buy it from them, they just might install it for free.

Rear View Mirror Update

EDIT: Link seems to be for the Boxter, Cayman, and 911, rather than Macan. :confused:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I thought there was a revised mirror design starting with the 2017 model year? Anyway, Suncoast sells the newer design as a retrofit. Have a look at this link and see if that's sometime you'd be interested in. The third picture on their webpage show a side-by-side comparison of the old design vs. the new one.

You'll have to specify whether it's manual dimming, or auto dimming. Also note that you might be able to get it cheaper at your local dealership, since that avoids shipping charges. Plus if you buy it from them, they just might install it for free.

Rear View Mirror Update
That link you provided seems to me to not be for Macans. The page states:

Fits the following models (verify your options):
  • All Boxster Models 2013-2016
  • All Cayman Models 2014-2016
  • All 911 Carrera Models 2013-2016

Additionally, the (auto-dimming) mirror on our '18 S Macan looks like the top pic, i.e., the bulkier version. Just a heads-up to anyone ordering one.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Rear View Mirror Update
Thanks for the link! Looks like the mirror change in the Macan didn’t occur until the 2019 redesign.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
....That link you provided seems to me to not be for Macans.....
.....Looks like the mirror change in the Macan didn’t occur until the 2019 redesign.
Thanks for catching that. Not sure why that previous link came up in the Macan Interior Rear View Mirror search results. Maybe something to discuss with Suncoast to see whether it fits the Macan as well.

I had thought the interior mirror was updated with the Facelift, as shown in the following photo:

Source: 2019 Macan Interior

I don't see the new facelift mirror in the parts catalog. But if you ask at the parts counter, I imagine they can look it up. The ones I found online were pricing just shy of $500, however.

Keep us posted if find a solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts