Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking both individuals and performance shops out there. Has anyone installed upgraded intercoolers, downpipes, exhaust and then had it tuned and finally dynoed? I've asked this question before to the guys at Flat6 Motorsports since they were the first pushing Alpha products as in downpipes with the custom heat shields and also the upgraded intercooler kit. They said no. But that was a year ago.

I am curious if anyone has gone the full upgrade route for a Porsche Macan Turbo with Chrono. I'd love to know what HP/TQ you could wring out of this thing before stuff starts to break.

Ultimate upgrade?: Alpha intercooler kit, Alpha downpipes, Flat6 intake kit, Alpha filters, BOV's, Cobb/BGB tune. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I haven’t seen or heard of any Macan Turbo modded with all these aforementioned aftermarket parts since 2014. Want more horse power than the Macan Turbo PP? Buy an X4 M Comp. Want a Porsche? Buy a Cayenne Turbo Coupe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have the project in Ukraine, but it is not Turbo, but Macan S with AMS Alpha IC, downpipes, BOV's, aftermarket exhaust and custom COBB tune. Let me know if you are interested in numbers and i'll ask the owners to share it here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did. But on Macan S 2015. AMS everything (COBB Stage 3) + REMUS cat-back exhaust.

Dynoed to 334 WHP with OTS for 93. It is about 415 hp at the crank. The stock was 272 whp.

Later did a Pro Tune by Flat 6.
Results: 12.6-12.8s for 1/4, 0..60 - 4.4s. I think can be 0.2s better if someone lighter will drive. I'm 300lb.
You can see dynamic here:
or here (with my wife in the car):
(OTS 93)

The only downsides I found with AMS downpipes is a weird rattle on cold start and after installing Remus exhaust it became even worse so we put extra X-pipe and I was almost happy.
Original rattling with Stock exhaust:
Remaining rattling and drone with Remus at ~3K RPM:

The positive side of this, when not rattle:

I don't know for sure what happened because of downpipes. Most people say it is resonance because of ultimately long exhaust and high flow. Currently, the car is in service. They're finishing the last mod - diverter valves (BOVs) from Flat 6 and add Vibrant resonators to the exhaust. Then I'll polish a setup and dyno with Flat 6 maps. Hopefully, will get 345whp.

·
Supporting Vendor
664 Posts
We have a few clients but I don't have any dyno sheets handy. We're hoping to get some more this fall with our new facility. As others mentioned, there is sort of a cost/benefit calculation that most Macan owners consider. How far do they want to go, can they get 85% of the way there without spending too much, etc. That last 15% of power potential with bolt-ons is pretty expensive. For some folks it might make sense, for most it doesn't from talking with hundreds of Macan clients.

Here's a client who ran some great numbers in very high Texas temps (Macan Turbo). This was with our Stage 1+ map, intakes and cat-back. He has since added the AMS intercoolers and our DVs. Looking forward to future numbers.

My personal perspective (Jon talking), the Macan is a great small SUV/crossover that can be daily driven, offers utility and can provide some fun driving. With a few bolt-ons, they really wake up. I think if I'm most guys, I call it a day after intakes & tuning. Exhausts are certainly a preference choice (my wife & I enjoyed the Remus on ours). While they help to make power, it's not significant. I do like the DVs as a better driving experience and helping handle power, etc. That's where I'll call the 85% potential with bolt-ons line. The next 15% is really intercoolers and downpipes. Downpipes require about 14-18 hours to install which turns most people away. They will also make the exhaust a little louder (some folks don't want that). Intercoolers are a really great upgrade but alone they won't add power. It's really about consistency and safety. Then you have to ask, how hard do you push your Macan. Not many folks track them. So it comes down to use really there. I love upgrading cooling, it can only help but AMS is currently the only option and while a very nice kit, it's not inexpensive. You probably didn't buy a Porsche because it delivered the best bang for the buck, you probably enjoyed the way it drove.

If you're someone who wants optimal performance and you don't mind spending money on upgrades, it makes great sense but I find most Macan owners start to see the diminishing returns. At Flat 6 Motorsports, we've always been of the mindset that a vehicle is unique to it's owner and that one size doesn't fit all. We try to share information and provide our experience and customer feedback to help folks weigh their options, but ultimately it's about you and what you want out of the vehicle. I've had many Porsche's from a simple bolt-on to engine swaps. There is a different experience (pros and cons) that go along with modifying a Porsche. We tend to seek enhancing the Porsche balance of styling, power, handling, stopping and solid reliability. The over simplified generalized figure I always use is, you can go about +20% in power output without major tradeoffs on a modern turboed Porsche. When you start to cross over that, it's not for the faint of heart. I hope that ramble of a paragraph helps a little.

·
Supporting Vendor
664 Posts
Yeah the only reason I put upgraded intercoolers on my B8 A4 was due to being in Texas. That heat is something else. Performance drops way off when they get heat soaked.
Yeah and these things can heat up when pushing a lot of boost. I'm a fan of just backing off and cruising to help keep IATs down but when you're tuned and running 22-23 PSI, they can heat up. We've been considering developing an intercooler kit but not sure as there is quite a bit of investment needed. We also plan to offer a turnkey water/meth kit for the Macan but obviously not a solution for everyone. We're planning on developing more options for higher powered Macans.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Alex Khomich - I had an exhaust rattle too (I have the AWE Track rear muffler delete) and the rattle was coming from the xpipe section from the factory exhaust. I took it to Porsche just yesterday and they found a broken bracket. It was replaced and now the rattle is gone. There appears to be a brittle piece that's known to fail on the exhaust to cause the rattle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Alex Khomich - I had an exhaust rattle too (I have the AWE Track rear muffler delete) and the rattle was coming from the xpipe section from the factory exhaust. I took it to Porsche just yesterday and they found a broken bracket. It was replaced and now the rattle is gone. There appears to be a brittle piece that's known to fail on the exhaust to cause the rattle.
Got it. My issue could be related, but different as I have completely new exhaust pipes starting right after cats. All of brackets etc were checked and renewed.
Yesterday I tested car with resonators - now it is gone completely with closed valves and become less annoying even fun with open (straight pipe). Actually I’m happy :) Will do separate post hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to the forum, to the Macan S and to Porsches. Have owned lots of luxury cars, daily driver truck is tuned and has many bolt ons, and my UTV is highly modified. I do my own oil and filter changes. The Macan S is my wife's car - she is no leadfoot. I drive it occasionally. I went for the air intakes, intercoolers, diverter valves and a Cobb tune. We live in Phoenix, where it gets really hot in the summer. Expecting 110 next week. Before the end of May! With added boost and engine heat from the tune, I figured the intercoolers/diverters were a good hedge on performance with longevity. We keep, rather than flip, cars about 10 yrs or so. The intercoolers and diverter valves go on next week. Shop has estimated 4-5 hours labor. Not sure I will spend the money on Dyno testing after the install.

My new second car, not the daily diver, is a 2016 Panamera Turbo, which I have already upgraded with the BMC filter, a tune, and will probably bite on sport downpipes, shooting for 600+ bhp over the 520 stock bhp.

Jon and the folks at Flat6 are good people.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless I missed it, I did not see any mention of a tune... Lots of bolt-ons and various times and situations (i.e. rolling start, dead start). What surprises me is that stock it shows a 1/4 in 11.59 and with bolt-on's it's 11.4. Not a big difference for the amount of money spent not only on parts but installation costs. Personally, I'd want more for my money.

But again, did I miss what s/w they used if any?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts