Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a muffler delete but just need an option to turn off the sound for the wife, so looking for the best exhaust valve wireless controller out there for this car. I believe the pipes are 3.5inch (89mm) wide.

Let me know if you have any good suggestions and how I should go about installing it!

This is the one I have found so far

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
The idea behind an exhaust valve is you can direct the flow through the muffler (quiet) or around it (loud). The stock valves do this pretty effectively, and you have some additional control if your car has PSE.

If you've removed the muffler(s), there really isn't anywhere to direct the flow to make it quieter. You just have one option...loud.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea behind an exhaust valve is you can direct the flow through the muffler (quiet) or around it (loud). The stock valves do this pretty effectively, and you have some additional control if your car has PSE.

If you've removed the muffler(s), there really isn't anywhere to direct the flow to make it quieter. You just have one option...loud.
OK so you're saying the part above I listed will not quiet the sound if I have it installed on one of the pipes with the valves closed?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
OK so you're saying the part above I listed will not quiet the sound if I have it installed on one of the pipes with the valves closed?
Sure, it will make it quieter...but you're just plugging your exhaust which will drop your power and damage your engine.

Not recommended.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure, it will make it quieter...but you're just plugging your exhaust which will drop your power and damage your engine.

Not recommended.
Touching back on this, I just realize the car has quad exhaust tips, if I am able to find a valve controller to block sound from one of the tips, then the air n sound can always go out of the other correct? Will this also cause problems as you mentioned above? It seems more of a hacky way for a 'cutout' with the quad tips. Let me know your thoughts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I don't think you'll see a meaningful difference, and the risk for damage is still there if you're reducing the flow.

Really the only way you're going to make it quieter is to add mufflers.

Personally, if I was doing this on a budget I'd look at picking up a used PSE setup (like this: 2017 Porsche Macan GTS STOCK EXHAUST PIPE AND MUFFLERS **USED FULLY FUNCTIONAL** | eBay) and wiring the valves to run together. This is how Remus runs their dual valve setups off a single valve controller, and it's how I have my Akra exhaust setup. Note: I've also added a valve controller to get a bit more control (EG loud in Sport, quiet in Comfort) but this wouldn't be totally necessary.

I have an extra valve wiring harness that I've been meaning to list for sale. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you'll see a meaningful difference, and the risk for damage is still there if you're reducing the flow.

Really the only way you're going to make it quieter is to add mufflers.

Personally, if I was doing this on a budget I'd look at picking up a used PSE setup (like this: 2017 Porsche Macan GTS STOCK EXHAUST PIPE AND MUFFLERS USED FULLY FUNCTIONAL | eBay) and wiring the valves to run together. This is how Remus runs their dual valve setups off a single valve controller, and it's how I have my Akra exhaust setup. Note: I've also added a valve controller to get a bit more control (EG loud in Sport, quiet in Comfort) but this wouldn't be totally necessary.

I have an extra valve wiring harness that I've been meaning to list for sale. PM me if you are interested.
Yea definitely have considered the GTS exhaust route. Thanks for the link. Currently thinking to replace my race bullet small resonators to an ultra quiet vibrant resonator OR going to do the valve control route on one of the quad tips.

What I'm confused about is if closing the valve is going to affect the engine, then how come exhaust manufacturers like Remus, and even Porsche, give the option to close the airways on one of your tips to reduce sound? Sorry if I'm still not fully understanding how these valve controller works with the exhaust. My understanding is that they just open/close the airflow of the pipe. In the stock exhaust that's how it is, with no cut out, so when the valves are closed, it just goes out the second exhaust tip.

That is essentially what I'm trying to do. Install the wireless valve control on one of the pipes after the muffler/resonator like so...

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
The valve on the OEM exhaust (and setups like Remus) control the flow through a straight through pipe (IE bypassing the muffler). With it closed, all flow is directed to the outer tip which is routed through the muffler. With the valve open, most of the flow takes the direct wide open path as there is less resistance.

Either way, the valves are closed only at lower revs. Once you hit 3750 rpm, the valves open automatically to ensure there is enough flow capacity.

What you are proposing will simply shift the flow from both tips to one, without adding any muffling. This isn't going to do anything for sound, and may cause issues with reduced flow. Adding resonators will be a waste of money.

Check out this video which has an x-ray of the OEM mufflers which should illustrate this a bit better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts