Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Macan Turbo and have read a large number of threads on this forum which make me very nervous/confused. My car did not come with an OEM hitch/harness and the CPO did have an aftermarket hitch added by the previous owner. Also, I have the Airmatic Evolution Adjustable Lowering links already installed on my car.

I will be towing a 4 x 8 U-Haul trailer in a couple of weeks and need to add a wiring harness for this trip but I don't want to see it hanging below the bumper on a permanent basis. What aftermarket harness would you suggest Can I conceal it so that the wires aren't hanging outside loose after I am done without removing the harness?

Also, I read a few posts that mentioned the following "Read the manual, there are instructions on disabling the load leveling while connecting and disconnecting the trailer. And it recommends putting it in off-road mode as well. When a trailer is connected to the 7-pin harness, it adjusts things like stability control, disables rear proximity sensors, prevents opening the hatch remotely, and probably more."

For my 4x8 rental, do I need to worry about this?

Finally, I did speak to etrailer and they don't have a wiring harness that is easily utilized.

What would you install if you were in my situation?

Thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I can't recommend a particular harness, but I can suggest that for a 4x8 trailer with modest loads you don't have to worry too much about stability control etc . Just use normal common sense. I have the factory hitch and harness. it does all the nice things you mention and also activates the alarm if someone tries to disconnect the trailer. It also changes the transmission shift points and stuff. Useful for what I do (towing cars and horse trailers), but perhaps not an issue for you. So if you can find something that can tap brake, turn signal and the corner lights, you should be fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday, I finally had U-Haul install the Zero Contact Interface Tekonsha Wire Harness 119251 on my car. Using this type of harness, there is no splicing so there is zero risk to affecting the car's system. It is a 4 wire harness.

Here is a link to the product on U-Haul's website and same product on Amazon's website:

I had it installed such that it is hidden inside the cargo area under a panel since I will rarely use it. On those rare occasions when I need it, I will let it hang outside the trunk.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Can I tow a sea doo 18ft jet boat with the macan ?
If it weighs less than a 2 horse trailer, then yes. I have no issues pulling the trailer even off-road with the Macan. In this pic you can see the air suspension raised in off-road mode to get into the paddocks. Is there anything the Macan can't do?

·
Registered
133 Posts

Not sure what it is that you don't like about the stealth hitch but that's okay. I considered hitches like a Curt, Hidden Hitch (which usually isn't very hidden), etc.

I was concerned about the wiring too. As far as the features of rear sensors, and some of those other features, don't sweat it.

I have now towed several thousand miles with my car, usually with a 5*9 U haul, including snow when chains were required.

This vehicle tows great. Love this thing.
Maybe up to 162 MPH. I would recommend that with your wife on it this might be more aerodynamic and you could hit 163.
You just became my favorite poster on this forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts