Porsche Macan Forum banner

Hairline Cracks in Headlight Lens

70418 Views 221 Replies 87 Participants Last post by  scott.oke27
Recently I have been doing more highway driving with my Macan, and I am noticing that my headlights (especially the passenger side) are really taking a beating (see photo of some of the small cracks) . I try to avoid following trucks and vehicles that might be throwing up rocks, but I guess that isn't enough. In addition some of the small lights below the hood are also getting chipped. The front hood is doing well - I don't see any chips there.

I think the passenger headlight was replaced at some point due to issues with dust inside, but I am not 100% sure.

Anyone else having issues with this happening? Are these headlights a little more susceptible to wear and tear?

Attachments

See less See more
181 - 200 of 222 Posts
FYI, my driver side was terrible... sun hits it more than passenger side so I definitely am one to go with the UV damage theory. I had tried the polishing thing and spent an afternoon (wasting my time) on it... looked better but crazing continued. Anyway, I bought a driver side “shell” from a wreck off fleabay, complete job including removal, swapping bulbs, ballasts to “new one” and then reinstall took about one hour. Not bad at all... and looks like night and day. I’m thinking of coating lenses with that 303 UV guard but am hesitant... Had it on old ones and still went bad.
For what it's worth, when I had to get a whole light replaced, I realized that the existing one was really cloudy and scratched-looking. Turned out it was from being parked outside, UV damage, and the body shop was able to polish it for 50$, at which point I got them both UV protectors. Haven't had a problem since.

The Macan is parked outside, in the Florida sun for the last few years, so that's what did it in my case.
I got them both UV protectors.
I didn't know they existed. Are you talking aftermarket [brand?] or Porsche?
Reactions: 1
I didn't know they existed. Are you talking aftermarket [brand?] or Porsche?
I purchased 3M's Wet Apply Vinyl film, I believe.
at which point I got them both UV protectors.
There was some prior discussion that the Macan owners manual specifically says not to use these. Perhaps you can find it using the search feature.

And when I had the clear bra installed on our new 992 recently, the installation shop refused to install the product on the headlights. They said they won't use it on any Porsche headlights due to liability issues as they have had trouble in the past with the film damaging Porsche headlight lenses.

But at the same time I should add I installed UV protectors on my Mercedes with no issues. After 15 years the protectors started to turn yellow, and when I removed the protectors (which turned out to be relatively easy), the lenses looked like brand new, and the protectors had clearly done their job.
Yeah, I read through it, I just don’t have anything to say about it. There’s what Porsche wishes was true, and what actually is true, at least for those of us obligated to expose our cars to a lot of sunlight. Have there been anecdotal cases of [something bad] actually happening as a result of a brand-name protector applied by someone who knows what they are doing?
There was some prior discussion that the Macan owners manual specifically says not to use these. Perhaps you can find it using the search feature.

And when I had the clear bra installed on our new 992 recently, the installation shop refused to install the product on the headlights. They said they won't use it on any Porsche headlights due to liability issues as they have had trouble in the past with the film damaging Porsche headlight lenses.

But at the same time I should add I installed UV protectors on my Mercedes with no issues. After 15 years the protectors started to turn yellow, and when I removed the protectors (which turned out to be relatively easy), the lenses looked like brand new, and the protectors had clearly done their job.
My installer encouraged me to also wrap the headlights when I told them about Porsche's guideline not to. They do a ton of Porsche PPF's.
Said it was an issue sometimes in the past when the film needed replacing, but hasn't had been in a while.
He basically said worst thing that can happen is the factory UV coating comes off with the film. In which case one needs to polish the headlight before applying the new film.
Based on that and reading this thread, I concluded for myself that the factory UV coating is kinda crap anyway. So I went ahead and had the headlights wrapped as well.
Reactions: 3
2017 Base
I'm noticing that the lenses on both headlights are getting hairline cracks.
Seem to be getting worse.
Just wondering if this is a normal thing? I know these headlights are expensive. Can the covers be replaced? This is not normal hazing. The cracking seems to be at least 1/16" thick.
TIA. Water Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Art
See less See more
Had the same thing on my 17s under CPO (both lights). Took it to the dealer they took pics and sent it to Porsche and a couple weeks later they agreed to replace them. I waited a few more weeks for them get the parts and were replaced. Great experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 2017 Macan S with the etching delamination issue as well. Was thinking of just replacing the lens... As anyone tried this and did it work out well?
Replacing the lens itself would involve a good amount of work to get it done correctly. I don’t think it is really recommended. Looks like I will be buying sandpaper in the near future. I understand it is best done by hand?
Replacing the lens itself would involve a good amount of work to get it done correctly. I don’t think it is really recommended. Looks like I will be buying sandpaper in the near future. I understand it is best done by hand?
Hi… that’s the problem from what I see and read on the posts is that the delamitation is on the inside of the lens so sanding wouldn’t work?…hope you can prove me incorrect?
They sell the lens only online but like you say, you have to heat up the whole unit and make the sealant soft enough to pry apart, then hopefully seal it correctly and put back together.
It can be sanded out. It appears that the actual u v protection does not coat the inside.
Oh Good to hear... I'll give it a shot ASAP. Thank you.
You are welcome. There is a good write up concerning the sanding procedure on the forum. It has the recommended sandpaper grit and after photos etc. It would be good to reference it before you start. Post your pics afterward!
Same issue on my '17 CPO Macan S. PCNA claims this is "wear and tear" and not covered by warranty - but this is clearly an issue of poor quality materials. They did offer a discount on replacement as "goodwill" - basically knocking down the profit markup on the replacement part cost. Interacting with PCNA to try and get this resolved has been HORRIBLE. Hold times on customer service of 40 minutes. ZERO replies when they say they'll "look into it".
I've had 5 Porsches and excellent customer service - until now. Will look to another brand for my next car.
Same issue on my '17 CPO Macan S. PCNA claims this is "wear and tear" and not covered by warranty - but this is clearly an issue of poor quality materials. They did offer a discount on replacement as "goodwill" - basically knocking down the profit markup on the replacement part cost. Interacting with PCNA to try and get this resolved has been HORRIBLE. Hold times on customer service of 40 minutes. ZERO replies when they say they'll "look into it".
I've had 5 Porsches and excellent customer service - until now. Will look to another brand for my next car.
Update: After 3 months of fighting PCNA, they agreed to replace my lamps as a "goodwill gesture".
My headlight assemblies are spider cracked from sun exposure. Where can I get good replacements, not from a dealership?

Attachments

See less See more
So I read about a problem on the headlights. Every single used macan I looked at suffered from it. My paint on my new yet used 2016 s is immaculate and so is everything else yet the headlight lenses look like crap! Looks scratched, cracked and you can feel the abrasions. No warranty here. The headlight restoration kits are not going to work on this. Any solutions? This looks like it needs some major abrasive sandpaper to remove it. At least 400 dry to start.
181 - 200 of 222 Posts