Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cayenne's (base) ride was very similar to X5 and GLE, unnecessarily bouncy for me. And I felt unsafe with all those three, they didn't feel planted enough. And for my preferences and expectations, PDK on Macan was really superior to triptonic (I think?) on Cayenne which I believe somehow an important factor for the ride quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Have you tried other cars of the same size ? I did prior to Macan and the Q5 was rolls-royce quiet while the GLC with "airbody control" was pillow soft on road. The Macan was not as good in those areas but overall was the best.
I found the GLC to be average, though I don't know if the one I tested had airbody control. Done thousands of miles in a Volvo XC60, which is too bumpy (and the seats not adjustable enough). Lexus NX, too bumpy. The Q5 was pleasant.. but I need some excitement too. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found the GLC to be average, though I don't know if the one I tested had airbody control. Done thousands of miles in a Volvo XC60, which is too bumpy (and the seats not adjustable enough). Lexus NX, too bumpy. The Q5 was pleasant.. but I need some excitement too. :)
I have a '17 GTS and my wife says it is the smoothest car she has ever ridden in. That being said I would find a GTS on Turo and rent in for a few days to determine it it is the car for you. A 10 minute test drive is not "real world". I had one day rental with Turo and that convinced me to by a Macan. Good Lick!

·
Registered
2021 Macan Turbo
30 Posts
Hey AJM, I, like you, put ride comfort as a priority. Being almost 50, driving on some really beat up roads every day with bad discs in my back and neck is not fun. Wanted a Mercedes GLC 63, test drove it, felt EVERY crack in the road, even in comfort.

Then the Macan - what a revelation. As you experienced, composed, tight, accurate, yet amazingly compliant. I swear they have suspension fairy's chained up somewhere in their facility sprinkling magic dust on the suspension components.

When I was looking, the Turbo was still being made, and I was really torn about GTS vs. Turbo. The GTS had all the sportiness for a lower price, but the turbo had more power and a more "luxury" suspension tuning. I test drove 2 Turbo's and 2 GTS's back to back, and after that, could definitely tell that the GTS had a slightly harder edge over pavement irregularities than the Turbo. It was noticeable, and became more noticeable the longer I drove. Even on the 21 inch wheels, the Turbo rides AMAZINGLY well. I shake my head every time I drive the beast, it's unreal.

It looks like you've already committed to the new GTS, and I'm sure it will be great, much better than the S. But if you have a chance to get a Turbo, you definitely will have the most comfortable ride you can get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I turned in a BMW M240i for a 2021 Macan GTS. I have notable scoliosis in my back, and I fractured two vertebrae two years ago. Suffice it to say I have a sensitive back and the BMW was brutal. The new GTS on 21 inch wheels is a dream. In comfort mode over railroad and other rough roads it is terrific. Generally I like it in the lowest setting because it is easier to get in and out of as well as feeling a little bit sportier. Sports suspension is a twist of a knob away and that is fun on back roads. I also have the 18 Way adjustable seats which I find exceptionally comfortable. I’ve driven a 2020 Macan S and it was nice, however mine is exactly what I hoped for. Good luck with your final decision.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts