Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here with a 2021 GTS on order.

My primary deciding factor in choosing the Macan is probably unusual around here: Ride Comfort. I have a bad back, and any car that jostles its passengers around on imperfect roads causes me much pain. After test driving various Volvos, Mercedes, BMWs etc., I drove past a Porsche dealership and went inside on a whim, test drove a Macan, and was blown away at how much more composed the ride was than its less sporty rivals. (Of course it helped that I've loved Porsches since I was a kid, I'd just just never considered that one would make sense for me.) My only issue with the Base was the lack of power. They don't sell the Turbo any more, and the GTS was basically the same price as an S with options, so the GTS seemed like the no-brainer model to pick. But now with my lock-in date rapidly approaching, I was just reading about how the GTS has a more sporty suspension, and am now starting to second guess whether I should have bought the S after all (or waited for the '22 S).

Does anyone know if the '21 GTS has a noticeably bumpier suspension than the Base/S/Turbo models?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I second that. Air suspension is remarkable - you can choose the floaty soft "comfort" setting or two stiffer settings. I use the middle setting all the time and it is still super comfortable. I have 19" on my S, so would stick to the 20's on the GTS.

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
243 Posts
I agree with all the comments above that air suspension does improve ride comfort. However, I don't think anyone can say with any degree of confidence that you'll be fine with a GTS. That depends on the severity of your pain and the condition of the roads where you drive.

If the base Macan was ok, the GTS with PASM and AS will be better - without doubt. But, there are cars that are not sport oriented that will provide a smoother ride than a Macan. If possible, I suggest that you need to decide for yourself with a lengthy test drive over the worst roads in your area - not just close to the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2020 GTS rides great in most settings, even on 21" wheels, with the exception of Sport + mode but that is to be expected. It's a really comfortable car to drive around town most days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Coming from a 2015 BMW X1 living in Chicago, my ‘21 GTS ride is night and day smooth compared to what I was driving. I feel like I’m driving in another city. I have driven BMWs in the past with the sport suspension and this is much smoother in comparison. The air suspension works wonders and is the perfect combination of sportiness and comfort. Drive one and I am sure you will find it more than acceptable.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Coming from a 2015 BMW X1 living in Chicago, my ‘21 GTS ride is night and day smooth compared to what I was driving. I feel like I’m driving in another city. I have driven BMWs in the past with the sport suspension and this is much smoother in comparison. The air suspension works wonders and is the perfect combination of sportiness and comfort. Drive one and I am sure you will find it more than acceptable.
Yup. My 2021 GTS on the default 20's rides better than my 2016 Lexus NX F-Sport on 18's with AVS (their adaptive suspension, which only comes on the F-Sport and is the most comfortable variant of the NX) if that tells you anything. The Lexus is quieter though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I would suggest an extended test drive. Sometimes it's not about the ride, but about the seats. If seat bolster pinches you in the wrong spot it may cause flare up. Funny thing for me the most comfortable car ever was ford fusion.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think it would be more accurate to describe the GTS suspension as that it CAN be set to be the most sporty but can also be set to be just as comfortable. This is due to the standard air suspension and PASM combo. What makes the GTS capable of having the sportiest suspension is it's unique ability to sit 10mm lower than other trims on it's lowest air suspension setting.

Reactions: ajm

·
Registered
854 Posts
I would strongly recommend that you try to find a car to drive that is equipped like you want it. The base Macans that I get as loaners (steel springs, probably 19" rims) ride very differently (smoother) than my GTS with air suspension and 20's. I suspect that a lot of the difference comes from the rubber size.

Also - I would suggest that if you want a GTS, consider swapping some 19's onto it if you don't like the ride (or consider ordering it that way). Plenty of people on this board will buy the rims you don't want.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with many above statements.
I am coming from a 2018 SQ5 with steel springs and 21" wheels on summer tires. The 2021 GTS on 20" all seasons is a much more comfortable ride while also handling much better while being even more sporty, which is what makes the Porsche engineering so incredible (you usually can NOT have both).

Run Buh makes a very good point that 19" will be even more comfortable than 20" wheels (but might not be necessary). But stay away from 21" wheels for sure. Remember that there is an extra inch of rubber between the 19" & 21" wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, new member here with a 2021 GTS on order.

My primary deciding factor in choosing the Macan is probably unusual around here: Ride Comfort. I have a bad back, and any car that jostles its passengers around on imperfect roads causes me much pain. After test driving various Volvos, Mercedes, BMWs etc., I drove past a Porsche dealership and went inside on a whim, test drove a Macan, and was blown away at how much more composed the ride was than its less sporty rivals. (Of course it helped that I've loved Porsches since I was a kid, I'd just just never considered that one would make sense for me.) My only issue with the Base was the lack of power. They don't sell the Turbo any more, and the GTS was basically the same price as an S with options, so the GTS seemed like the no-brainer model to pick. But now with my lock-in date rapidly approaching, I was just reading about how the GTS has a more sporty suspension, and am now starting to second guess whether I should have bought the S after all (or waited for the '22 S).

Does anyone know if the '21 GTS has a noticeably bumpier suspension than the Base/S/Turbo models?
My 21 GTS with 20" wheels rides great. Even in Sport and Sport+ the ride is tolerable. Make sure you test drive both the 14-way and 18-way seats prior to ordering, as this can also greatly impact comfort levels. I have the 18s and they are just "OK" so far, but I only have 800 miles on them, so they make break-in more.

I owned a 2018 Audi SQ5 a few years back (same platform as Macan) and thought it was one of the most comfortable vehicles I had ever been in - until my wife got a 2019 Q7, which took it to the next level. I would put the GTS one notch below the SQ5 in terms of comfort, but I had 40K miles on the SQ5 by the time I sold it, so it was more broken-in.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Please take these comments with a grain of salt. On a nice new road you would be fine in a wooden carriage. So chances are someone on a good road is fine with 22" on steel and someone in the area without roads struggles on 18" on AS in comfort mode. These are apples to oranges.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Please take these comments with a grain of salt. On a nice new road you would be fine in a wooden carriage. So chances are someone on a good road is fine with 22" on steel and someone in the area without roads struggles on 18" on AS in comfort mode. These are apples to oranges.
I live in northern Alabama. Our roads suck. They're not horrible, but they definitely suck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We have a 2017 GTS with 20" all season tires. I was shocked when we got it how smooth the suspension is. For reference our other vehicles are a 2015 BMW X5 which is much bouncier / choppier (run flats and less refined suspension) and 2017 Lexus RX (much choppier on small bumps). Somehow Porsche (with an air suspension) does not get flustered by any bumps, yet doesn't lean in cornersn like the competition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I kept finding conflicting comments on how air suspension either making no difference for comfort, or that it makes a drastic difference and transforms the car, I've even heard that air suspension reduces road noise. So I had to really find out for myself.

Went to the local dealer, took out an air suspension GTS and a non-PASM S, both with 20s and in comfort mode, drove the same route over unpaved road, potholes and normal road, measured cabin noise levels and vibrations on the passenger seat.

I could feel no difference, hear no difference, the noise measurements showed no difference, and vibration measurements showed no difference.

Maybe some people here have butts more sensitive than an accelerometer, but I suspect for normal people you'll be fine with either. I'd also point out if ride comfort is a major factor, a Macan with any suspension configuration would be far below a Cayenne in a very tangible way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have a 2017 GTS with 20" all season tires. I was shocked when we got it how smooth the suspension is. For reference our other vehicles are a 2015 BMW X5 which is much bouncier / choppier (run flats and less refined suspension) and 2017 Lexus RX (much choppier on small bumps). Somehow Porsche (with an air suspension) does not get flustered by any bumps, yet doesn't lean in cornersn like the competition.
my 2017 GTS surprised me as well….speed bumps taken at the same speed, my Audi A5 is MUCH harsher over them than the GTS….Whatever they did with the suspension, Porsche figured it out…..you will love your new car….

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Have you tried other cars of the same size ? I did prior to Macan and the Q5 was rolls-royce quiet while the GLC with "airbody control" was pillow soft on road. The Macan was not as good in those areas but overall was the best.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts