Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Been lurking for a while and learned quite a bit. Hopefully I am putting this in the right place. I was hoping I might get a critique on my build before it locks here in a few weeks. Coming from a Kia Stinger, and this will be my first Porsche. Anything stick out to ya? I like the tech, so I will likely keep all that. SC and PTV could stay or go, but a GTS without SC seems incomplete! I doubt I'd ever launch it, but that individual mode and the dial on the steering wheel seems nice. I likely won't be driving it to 10/10, but I've read the PTV can be noticed in even lower speed turns. I figure anything that helps a two ton vehicle turn is good.

Porsche code: PL18NLJ5

I'm going back and forth between SB with painted side blades and the macan turbo wheels and CR with black side blades and the 20 inch GTS spyders. My opinion there changes daily! I know this is kinda a personal choice, but thoughts here too!

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Build looks good. I will keep the SC and PTV.
Congrats.
When is your order locking in ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toward the end of the month. I dont have the exact day. Mainly waffling on the color right now! I’m also still trying to get some movement on a discount but no luck so far.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S Sapphire, Black, Steel Built 02/20
46 Posts
Don't know where you are, but maybe heated windshield?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I don’t have PTV. I drive in cold weather and lots of snow and ice. Never missed and never felt I needed it. There are tons of people here that will say otherwise but as you said it is personal opinion. If money is not a problem and you want to have all the options go with PTV otherwise save it or use on other options.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Black GTS spyder wheels would look nice and save you $600 - I got side blades + sport mirrors to match exterior color (dolomite silver S). Worried it might be too plain but love it/less black plastic. Otherwise great build. Wish I had had the patience to wait for GTS...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don’t have PTV. I drive in cold weather and lots of snow and ice. Never missed and never felt I needed it. There are tons of people here that will say otherwise but as you said it is personal opinion. If money is not a problem and you want to have all the options go with PTV otherwise save it or use on other options.
After the dealer had me do back to back test drives of otherwise identically equipped Macans (with and without PTV) both on a dry road and in winter conditions I can testify the difference is substantial. I get the sense folks that don't have it don't understand what they are missing and did not experience the demonstration I did.

That being said, especially if you live in a warmer climate, a non PTV Macan is still a good handling SUV. It's no different than selecting a trim level. Only you know if you will be satisfied without it, or if you will be forever sorry you did not step up to a higher performance version of the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know where you are, but maybe heated windshield?
Not too big a need in north Texas. We do get occasional frozen stuff, but I’ve a garage at home and a parking structure at work. Thanks for the thought!

Is there something you’d option in it’s place or just save the money?

Black GTS spyder wheels would look nice and save you $600 - I got side blades + sport mirrors to match exterior color (dolomite silver S). Worried it might be too plain but love it/less black plastic. Otherwise great build. Wish I had had the patience to wait for GTS...
I do like the black GTS spyder wheels but am a bit daunted by the idea of cleaning them frequently. That’s a lot of surface area in small openings! The side blade painted is for the same reason you state. The black plastic on my wife’s Volvo is a PITA to keep looking nice with all the dirt/dust in the air.

After the dealer had me do back to back test drives of otherwise identically equipped Macans (with and without PTV) both on a dry road and in winter conditions I can testify the difference is substantial. I get the sense folks that don't have it don't understand what they are missing and did not experience the demonstration I did.

That being said, especially if you live in a warmer climate, a non PTV Macan is still a good handling SUV. It's no different than selecting a trim level. Only you know if you will be satisfied without it, or if you will be forever sorry you did not step up to a higher performance version of the car.
Unfortunately my dealer didn’t have one with PTV, but based on comments like yours and others I lean towards it.

thanks for all the comments so far!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don’t consider myself to be a conservative driver but my thoughts on SC might indicate otherwise. I’m going to spec my new GTS without SC. I’ve had SC on 3-997’s and on my previous Macan. I have never used launch control, never used the chrono on the dash and the PDK shifts (both up and down) on the Macan were too aggressive for me. Selecting Sport was enough for me. I also don’t buy the argument that lack of SC will harm the resale value. I don’t worry about the next owner and if in fact the next owner wanted to add SC, the software version could always be added with only the chrono missing from the dash. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I don’t consider myself to be a conservative driver but my thoughts on SC might indicate otherwise. I’m going to spec my new GTS without SC. I’ve had SC on 3-997’s and on my previous Macan. I have never used launch control, never used the chrono on the dash and the PDK shifts (both up and down) on the Macan were too aggressive for me. Selecting Sport was enough for me. I also don’t buy the argument that lack of SC will harm the resale value. I don’t worry about the next owner and if in fact the next owner wanted to add SC, the software version could always be added with only the chrono missing from the dash. Just my opinion.
I agree. On second Macan Turbo and i would spec PTV over Sport Chrono. 99% of driving is in Sport mode

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have SC, and while I like it, I could live without it.

When I am in the mood to drive the car aggressively, I do like the sport plus chassis settings as well as the incredibly fast shifts of the PDK, although when in sport plus I always shift manually.

I rarely use launch control, especially after installing the Cobb tune. Launch control simply cannot be good for the PDK. And I find that I rarely use the chrono at all.

if I were tracking the car, my answer would be different, but my car will never see the track.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If someone is on the fence regarding PTV, I would absolutely encourage them to seek out a PTV equipped car to test drive, even if you have to drive a couple of hours to see one. It’s not going to be economically feasible to try to add PTV after the fact.

On the other hand, if you don’t push your car at all, and have no winter traction needs, you don’t need it.

I have heard claims of certain dealer salesman telling forum members PTV is not needed unless you are tracking the car. My reaction is the sales people are trying to keep the final price of the car down because they are afraid of losing a sale. Admittedly it’s not an inexpensive option. But you don’t want to kick yourself later when you finally drive one, and realize what you’ve missed.

Find one to test drive and make your own decision rather than relying on someone else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m not worried about resale. I intend to drive this for quite some time. I enjoyed sport+ on the 2018 GTS I test drove. I’m not likely to launch it and I’d rather have a clock on the dash than the stopwatch, but the more aggressive mode interests me for when I want it. Not a must have but seems nice to have.

I agree. On second Macan Turbo and i would spec PTV over Sport Chrono. 99% of driving is in Sport mode
If you didn’t have to choose would you still drop SC?

I have SC, and while I like it, I could live without it.

When I am in the mood to drive the car aggressively, I do like the sport plus chassis settings as well as the incredibly fast shifts of the PDK, although when in sport plus I always shift manually.

I rarely use launch control, especially after installing the Cobb tune. Launch control simply cannot be good for the PDK. And I find that I rarely use the chrono at all.

if I were tracking the car, my answer would be different, but my car will never see the track.
I suspect I will fall into a similar boat to you. Nice to have, fun when you want it, but if it was keeping something else off it could be dropped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If someone is on the fence regarding PTV, I would absolutely encourage them to seek out a PTV equipped car to test drive, even if you have to drive a couple of hours to see one. It’s not going to be economically feasible to try to add PTV after the fact.

On the other hand, if you don’t push your car at all, and have no winter traction needs, you don’t need it.

I have heard claims of certain dealer salesman telling forum members PTV is not needed unless you are tracking the car. My reaction is the sales people are trying to keep the final price of the car down because they are afraid of losing a sale. Admittedly it’s not an inexpensive option. But you don’t want to kick yourself later when you finally drive one, and realize what you’ve missed.

find one to test drive and make your own decision rather than relying on someone else.
I appreciate your advice. I’ll have to see if there is one nearby.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Another thing to consider as silly as it sounds. If you do not get SC, you get another blank button position on the console, and everyone who gets in your car will know that there’s another option your car is missing:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thing to consider as silly as it sounds. If you do not get SC, you get another blank button position on the console, and everyone who gets in your car will know that there’s another option your car is missing:)
Actually, on the 2019+ years, SC moves the buttons to the wheel, giving you one more blank button in the center! The sport button goes away since it’s part of the wheel dial.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting how mixed the feelings are on SC and PTV. Consistent with other threads I’ve read. Happy to hear more thoughts there, or on other aspects of the build.

For instance, any reason to pick SB or CR colors? one is metallic and the other isn’t. Difficulty repairing, maintaining, or lifespan concerns? I’ll be getting PPF and ceramic coating so that should help in either case.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'd go with the stock 20" black Spyder wheels (good contrast against the blue), lose the LKA, and keep the side blades in the stock GTS matte black (trademark Macan exterior look).

Keep the SC and PTV+ (it's a Porsche, right?), and if you own a bicycle or a trailer, go with the trailer hitch.

One more thing, if your State requires a front plate, make sure the dealership doesn't drill holes in your front bumper, and go with a CravenSpeed Platypus license plate mount.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd go with the stock 20" black Spyder wheels (good contrast against the blue), lose the LKA, and keep the side blades in the stock GTS matte black (trademark Macan exterior look).

Keep the SC and PTV+ (it's a Porsche, right?), and if you own a bicycle or a trailer, go with the trailer hitch.

One more thing, if your State requires a front plate, make sure the dealership doesn't drill holes in your front bumper, and go with a CravenSpeed Platypus license plate mount.
I appreciate the aesthetics thoughts! Those choices have been the hardest for me. Not used to this much choice!

You picked on the one tech piece I’ve questioned myself on! I don’t use it on my current vehicle, as it’s too conservative. On long drives I thought it might be nice though.

Leaning toward keeping SC and PTV.

I like the rear diffuser too much to put a hitch on it. My wife’s XC40 has a hitch, so we’re covered for bike transport.

DEFINITELY not drilling holes. Thanks for the recommended plate mount.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts