Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'20 Porsche Macan GTS, Jet Metallic Black on Black, 21" RS Spyder Design Wheels, Cobb Tuned, PC
60 Posts
Not sure if you noticed..............but the difference between some of the performance tunes is that when the tune is in the ECU it voids your engine warranty as the dealer can tell you have remapped the performance curve. With the GTS Racechip Black it is a plug and play module that connects with factory connectors. If you remove it before it goes to the dealer they can't tell it was ever there. Plus it comes with a $10k warranty against engine damage. Install is less than an hour, and on my Turbo model it gives +/- 80 HP. Check this out..........................
Trust me, if they want to find it, they'll find it. It's a dance you've got to do with some risk involved. I've tuned all of my 911's and now my GTS. Cobb re-flashed and unplugged, never heard a word. Did they know? Maybe... Probably. It all depends on the dealer and their service department...

·
Registered
7 Posts
@ GTS 31 : Curious about the method you think is used for detecting a removed piggyback like the Racechip. What is the lingering evidence? Turbo boost, rpm tracings ? Those seem pretty untethered to me. Care to explain?

·
Registered
'20 Porsche Macan GTS, Jet Metallic Black on Black, 21" RS Spyder Design Wheels, Cobb Tuned, PC
60 Posts
@ GTS 31 : Curious about the method you think is used for detecting a removed piggyback like the Racechip. What is the lingering evidence? Turbo boost, rpm tracings ? Those seem pretty untethered to me. Care to explain?
Nope. Not really. Not my area of expertise. Just going on what a friend of mine who is a service MGR at a Porsche dealer told me. When they hook up to a vehicle, they can find almost anything that has been done to the car. If your piggyback racechip is undetectable, awesome!! I'm happy with my Cobb/Pedal Commander.
Joe

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I own a Turbo and not a GTS. However a lot of mods translate over to the Turbo. I’ve looked at both Cobb and Race Chip. In a lot of cases you gain power but lose the smooth drivability due to clunky shifting by the PDK during regular driving.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2020 Macan Turbo
99 Posts
I own a Turbo and not a GTS. However a lot of mods translate over to the Turbo. I’ve looked at both Cobb and Race Chip. In a lot of cases you gain power but lose the smooth drivability due to clunky shifting by the PDK during regular driving.

Am I wrong?
Well said. Following with interest to hear the comments and opinions.

More power is always good but as an everyday driver it’s as important to keep reliability and drivability.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bruce, yes, but not necessarily. Mine was clunky at the beginning, but is now "learning" the new set-up and settling in a bit. It's starting to settle in exactly as Jared (@COBB Tuning ) explained in the quote below. You can find the whole discussion in another post I started in this Mods section. Jared does a great job explaining below...

Correct- all depends on what type of driving you've been doing and how much of it has happened but generally speaking it's going to take some pretty varied driving to get it done quickly so a few days/a week is a good estimate unless you're driving a ton daily. The cars will always feel a little wonky immediately after a flash at partial throttle/light driving until the adaptations all relearn and smooth things out. WOT will be pretty much what it is from the onset but it's all the random light throttle relearning that takes time to settle down.

~Jared

Reactions: KM20Turbo

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
3 Posts
Hi All..

Just picked up a 2018 GTS. Wondering what your favorite and worthwhile modifications have been?

I've always done a tune to my cars, but it appears the tune doesn't have a significant boost in performance on the GTS models?

I just ordered the Pedal Commander.

Thinking about the Intake System from Flat Six.. Should I do this AND/OR the High Flow Air filters and Covers?

Would like to also do the Apple Car Play.. Appears there is a guy who can help to reprogram the system with out a module..

Anyways, those are some of my thoughts.. What mods have you done that you LOVE or that you were Disappointed with?
I would suggest a tune, it is night and day difference. Most notable is the torque increase. It seems most on the forum have the Cobb tune, but mine was done through my local Porsche service dept. They took my car in, removed ECU to ship out to the tuner and received it back within a few days. I forgot the name of the tuner, but I believe they referred me to this site. ECU TUNING Category | AMR PERFORMANCE . Highly recommend it as the tune makes this car much more enjoyable.

I've had the tune on for the last 2.5 years with no issues, except that the car burns more oil and requires a qt to be added once every 3 months or so depending on your driving habits.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Not sure if you noticed..............but the difference between some of the performance tunes is that when the tune is in the ECU it voids your engine warranty as the dealer can tell you have remapped the performance curve. With the GTS Racechip Black it is a plug and play module that connects with factory connectors. If you remove it before it goes to the dealer they can't tell it was ever there. Plus it comes with a $10k warranty against engine damage. Install is less than an hour, and on my Turbo model it gives +/- 80 HP. Check this out..........................
Nice video. Are you absolutely sure that ECU units, LIKE THE COBB, "...voids your engine warranty..." ? I don't believe most are of that opinion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice video. Are you absolutely sure that ECU units, LIKE THE COBB, "...voids your engine warranty..." ? I don't believe most are of that opinion.
I can only speak to Cobb tuning and my Porsche dealers. I've Cobb tuned every one of my 911's and now my '20 GTS. I was having an unrelated conversation with the service MGR at my dealership and wanted to just confirm that my Cobb Stage 1 93 tune along with my Pedal Commander installed on my Macan won't impact my warranty. He said nope, no impact. I don't even have to flash it back. Now, if you have a tuner tweak on top of the Cobb, well, then you've probably screwed yourself. And I'll be honest, if you need more HP and torque pull than a Cobb tune gives you, or more throttle response than a PC gives you, maybe buy a 911? 🤔

21 - 30 of 30 Posts