Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is Apple car play included in any of the packages? Its a feature I didn't know anything about but lucked into with my used Turbo. A functional driving option I wish I had was the adaptive cruise control. A nice to have feature would be the sports exhaust.
As @Masscan noted, in 2021 it is now standard, yay! The Apple CarPlay is one of the features that I loved that my old GTS had and I am missing on my current little car that I am driving till I can get my ducks in a row. I even stopped at the Audi dealer to see if Audi has come up with a work around to add it to my 2016 S5. No luck!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No, I am talking about Apple Car Play. They were going to charge me about $100.00 per year if I did an after install on my '18 S.
WOW, charging 100 a year for CarPlay. When I built my first one, I added in the apple CarPlay and didn't have to pay for this service and I am excited that it is now a standard feature.

I was paying yearly to keep my Porsche connect current, and also the Porsche Car connect where I am still getting texts from them informing me that every time the car is having to be moved they are getting a theft notice. I did think it was interesting that the car connect didn't register when I was in the accident like it should have, but they were on the phone the minute the tow truck driver was getting the car up on the flat bed to get her moved out of traffic. But when I was hit, the airbags didn't deploy so maybe thats why they didn't know I was in an accident. But I think if I remember I will ask them tomorrow when I inform them that the car is being totaled and get a refund on the months that I will not be needing this service.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
WOW, charging 100 a year for CarPlay. When I built my first one, I added in the apple CarPlay and didn't have to pay for this service and I am excited that it is now a standard feature.

I was paying yearly to keep my Porsche connect current, and also the Porsche Car connect where I am still getting texts from them informing me that every time the car is having to be moved they are getting a theft notice. I did think it was interesting that the car connect didn't register when I was in the accident like it should have, but they were on the phone the minute the tow truck driver was getting the car up on the flat bed to get her moved out of traffic. But when I was hit, the airbags didn't deploy so maybe thats why they didn't know I was in an accident. But I think if I remember I will ask them tomorrow when I inform them that the car is being totaled and get a refund on the months that I will not be needing this service.
So when you do that also ask them for your $100 per year back for the Car Play,. They don't know you didn't get billed for it. I am really curious how that would turn out. If they give it to you we can split a beer down the road.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank you so much for your ideas, feedback and even adding options that I missed. :D I will be playing around again with these suggestions and ideas. I will post more build codes once I create them. I love that I have time and I don't have to rush. My local dealer and the 2 dealers that are about 2 hours away don't have any GTS or Turbo's on their showroom floors for me to look at and drive, lots of base and S's. So I wonder when South Carolina will be getting GTS's in.

@SoCalS5 thank you for suggesting the red seatbelts if I go with black, I was talking with my friend who helped me build my first car and went with me to PEC to pick it up he didn't seem thrilled about the Beige interior. My friend is a total car guy. I bet if I could see his face he would have been frowning at me. I love the suggestion for just doing the chrono's clock in red, a great way to add a little color and a way to save a few pennies by not doing the dials.

@Daya I totally agree with the beige showing more wear. My old Q5 had this color inside and by the time I was ready to get rid of it, the seats didn't look to swell and the sad thing is I had the seats protected and taken care of every year. I had the roof rails on the old one, even though I never used them I liked knowing that they were there just in case since you can't add them later.

@yrralis1 and @Masscan I really didn't think about looking at building a Turbo. I guess with how much I am spending I should give it a go and see how crazy I go. I did kind of play around with the Cayenne coupe and didn't get far since it was costing way more than what I will be getting from my insurance company. I really want that heads up display!

@wspollack yes I had the burmester sound system and gosh I miss it! The bang & Olufsen system in the S5 does not do it justice! And I don't consider myself an audiophile. Great point about getting the fancy glass, but wouldn't that cut down on all of the magical sounds this car makes when you drive it. I so miss the sound at cold start up, and when the exhaust talks to you when you accelerate. The S5 has a little of this, but again nothing like the Macan. Oh my title! The guy in the total loss section at Travelers besides asking me daily to release the car has been asking for the title. I told him to google my bank and I told him what branch my safety deposit box is to confirm that the bank is still closed and I can't get to it. I told him for it seems like the 50th time that I have already ordered a new title from the state and I wish I had powers to make them get me the title sooner.

@fooit and @seventh_letter thank you for your thoughts on the smart compartment. I guess I will have to see if my iphone will fit in. But like you mentioned I can use the cord if need be. I really never planned on towing anything with the tow hitch. I added the tow hitch because I had a sea turtle cover from my 2011 Q5 that I wanted to have on this car. The sea turtle tow hitch cover went well with my save the environment sea turtle tag. I was at the collision shop today and I was talking with the nice young man who was helping me and I asked him what would have happened if I didn't have the tow hitch installed and he told me that the damage would have been a ton worst. The tow hitch took the brunt of the impact when I was hit, so even though it messes up the look in the back I will be adding one in the new build. The sad thing is, this is not my first time being rear ended. I was rear ended when I had my Q5 so my poor SUV's have poor luck with being rear ended by Ford F150's and when I have only had them for about 2 years. So looking ahead, I better not in 2 years have to do this again!

As for my beloved, when I was at the collision shop today I have released it to the insurance company to be moved to their storage and I have gotten what they are willing to pay me. 40,000 more than what they initially was willing to give me until I got my agent to point out that I have total new car replacement coverage on my car. They tried to build a 2020 GTS close to what I have so I will have plenty of pennies to build a new one and I am actually getting a wee bit more than what I originally paid for the car.

Get the FACTORY INSTALLED Tow hitch. Just like the Roof Rails. Let the manufacturer do it as he is building it.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@wspollack and @95B3.6 I stopped at my local dealer today to see when their GTS's will be arriving, late June/July and saw the paint sample for the Mamba Green and I have to say seeing it in person it is really growing on me. Its not as a bright neon green that the computer makes it look like. So I came home and played around and built a Mamba Green one.

The sales lady I spoke with told me that there has only been 2 Mamba Green Macans (base & S) come through the dealer. One she knows 1 lives here in Charleston and the other she thought was from out of town. When I bought my Carmine one, there was only a couple Carmine Reds driving around, now I see them all over. I kind of like having special cars (my convertible S5 is the only one in town with the midnight blue with red top. Really the only one in town with a red top). So thats why I am thinking of the green to be different. Others have said that you either love it, or hate it. But I really want to see one in the wild instead of just the paint sample to see if I would really like this color and can live with this color for at least 4+ years.

Code: PMQZIES9

I did look at a Cayenne Coupe in Chalk that was on the showroom floor. I like this color but not enough to pay the price for the color.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oooh, deviated stitching in Mamba Green. Yesss! :D
Thanks!

I figured the deviated stitching would add a nice touch and pop of color, like of like the GTS interior package that I had. Instead of the red & black outside with black and red inside, going with the green theme. With going with a cheaper paint color I could kind of afford to do the stitching in the green. I have just been reading the list your discount thread to see if I can get some names to reach out and touch some SA's so to speak to see what kind of deal I might be able to get with this build.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|PASM|SC|ACC
41 Posts
Nice build. Not sure I would pony up for the Chrono in Beige in this build, but if they had the matching green I might.

FWIW, I still would move to a Turbo build once I'm over 100K, but that's just me... http://www.porsche-code.com/PMBE4NU9 (Your predicament prompted me to see what kind of scenario I'd be looking at for replacement of our '17.)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The sales lady I spoke with told me that there has only been 2 Mamba Green Macans (base & S) come through the dealer. One she knows 1 lives here in Charleston and the other she thought was from out of town.
I assume that there are privacy issues here, and if so I agree with them, i.e., the SA can't just tell you the name of the local owner.

But I wonder if you could ask the SA to ask the local Mamba Green owner if she or he would be willing to have you see that car in person. For instance, you could ask the SA to provide your phone or email to that local owner, while letting that owner know that you would like to be contacted. If the owner were willing, the viewing could even be done in some public place, some parking lot.

Whatdya think?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Get the FACTORY INSTALLED Tow hitch. Just like the Roof Rails. Let the manufacturer do it as he is building it.
I agree 100% on the OEM trailer hitch.

$660 for a wired up factory trailer hitch is a steal. Dealerships charge up to $2,000 to install it after the fact.

I addition, I don't like how much lower the hidden hitches sit compared to OEM.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would do Mamba Green if I was buying new today, it is amazing in person and if you only saw a paint sample you'll be blown away by the real deal. It changes color in different light and is a deep dynamic color.

The only changes I would make are all down to preference but I would do CF side blades to match your interior trim and illuminated door sills, plus the side blades are so distinctive of the Macan which I love. The contrast with the body color makes it look sportier in my opinion and helps distinguish itself apart from the myriad of SUV's on the road. I definitely think the mamba green deviated stitching would be worth it especially if they do the "GTS" in the headrests. I probably wouldn't do the chrono in beige with the black interior and green stitching - the black and green is much sportier and in your face and beige is more reserved but that's just me, make it your own!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@Daya thank you so much for your suggestions! I rebuilt this car with your suggestions. I had carbon fiber on the side blades on the old one, and thought I would be different and just do the color of the car, but I have added it back in and by taking out the colored dial it didn't raise the cost to much! I wish they would do the GTS in the green but looking at the little video they have it doesn't show up. I will have to ask. I am still trying to find this color in the wild so to speak but it is hard. I was chatting with a dealers online person about a Mamba Green S coming in to a dealer 4 hours away and this lady told me that she's not sure the dealer is having a Mamba Green coming in. Good grief!

@95B3.6 thanks for your suggestion to try to build a turbo for the amount that I will be spending, but to get all of the things I would like the turbo would be way more than what my insurance company is ready to cough up to me to rebuild this car. Your build looks great, and I like the options you picked. I would like to have added the burmester sound system at the low low price cough cough.

@Masscan I totally agree with you about doing the OEM trailer hitch. I already have ordered a new sea turtle cover from Amazon for the new car that hasn't even been built yet. :) I got my tow hitch cover lock in and my turtle was "lost in shipment" so I told them to resend a new one.

The latest and I think greatest code is PMRTFJM8

Reactions: 95B3.6 and Daya

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Wow!! What a build! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years!

Reactions: Jellybean

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Wow Jellybean, that is one **** of a build!

Personally I'd go with:

1) Sport Mirrors in gloss black (it's just on the bottom half of the mirrors) to match the gloss black door handles and window trim

2) The regular illuminated doors sills in black to match the black interior leather (at half of the carbon fiber price too!)

3) And since you clicked almost every box, the fire extinguisher for only $140 & Porsche Crest on the center arm rest for $340

Reactions: Jellybean

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
The latest and I think greatest code is PMRTFJM8
Nice car. It's really impressive how they can simulate all these options in the visual mock-ups, other than what the Deviated Stitching Interior Package in Mamba Green will look like. Rusnak has a Panamera GTS with such an interior on their site, the stitching carries onto the steering wheel which is cool ... Mamba Green Panamera GTS at Rusnak

·
Registered
423 Posts
The green stitching is sick. very appealing. I would have to wonder how white gauges would look in it. As the facelift cars come out more and more I have to wonder what PTS Macan's we will be seeing in the future. I would think less and less due to the cost. The Orange one I saw on an auction side at a total was amazing.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
@Masscan thanks for your suggestions. I was wondering about the sport design mirrors with the black bottom and if that would be too much black. I love how you are trying to help me cut costs to make this work. To be honest I did have the crest and the fire extinguisher at one point, but deleted them to make way for the carbon fiber on the side blades.

Now would it look funny having the door sills in black with the rest carbon fiber on the interior?

My insurance company is now coughing up the money I paid to have the car wrapped, and ceramic coated and what not so I will have some more pennies to play around with. I could add those two things back in. But I should use that money to have these things done again on the new one.

knowing that I will be getting more money out of them I did go and build a Turbo and it only came up to almost 11,000 more than my gts build. :oops: Porsche code: PME96CK4

I think I will stay with the GTS and get everything that I want on it.

@95B3.6 thank you, thank you, thank you for linking this beautiful car so I can see what the stitching would look like. I do think it does look sharp. Just a little bit of a pop of color on the inside. @wishntoboutside I also wonder how the white dials would look.

I am hot on the trail to see this in real life, at least the exterior color. I was messaging back and forth with a dealer about 3.5 hours away about the mamba green S they are arriving. The lady I was messaging back and forth told me they don't have one arriving. I asked then why is it showing up on the dealers webpage that one is on the way. I just wanted to know when it would be hitting the state so I can go look. I am now in contact with the Porsche manager and he's going to get back with me about a discount but since it is not a huge dealership I am not going to be holding my breath on a discount.

I have heard back from my local dealers internet manager and she informed me that since GTS slots are few I will not be getting a discount out of them. I could have told her that I knew that was going to be the answer. @CarGuy07 gave me the name of his person in Atlanta and I am going to reach out to him and the SA who sold me the first one from Champion to see what can happen.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and input. I truly appreciate this. I want to make sure I build this one right this time vs the first time going in blind and not getting any suggestions and feedback from others who have been down this road more often than I have.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I did go and build a Turbo and it only came up to almost 11,000 more than my gts build. :oops: Porsche code: PME96CK4
Assuming you have to have the Burmester ;), here's a Turbo build for not even 3,000 more than your GTS...
PM195MM5

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Assuming you have to have the Burmester ;), here's a Turbo build for not even 3,000 more than your GTS...
PM195MM5
This looks great! Now how did I miss having the dummy key painted the exterior color! for 96 dollars that is a bargain!

I did ask my insurance agent to see how many more million it would cost more to insure a turbo vs the GTS, but since I really didn't push the GTS I am sure all of the power on the turbo would be lost on me.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
24 Posts
This week I found out that my insurance company is totaling my beloved, very babied 2018 GTS after I was rear ended in the middle of May, so now I get a chance to create and build a new GTS and add a couple of things that I missed in my initial build. When I built my first GTS I went crazy like a kid in a candy store with an unlimited amount of cash and put everything but the kitchen sink in it since it was my first Porsche. I of course discovered this group after my build was locked and learned that I should have added a couple things.

Build code: PMGC5KC5

I thankfully have full new car replacement cost on my policy so I was creating my new car knowing that I will have the funds to get everything that I want and had on my old one, and probably a few extra things that I don't need :) I will find out tomorrow what my insurance company is willing to cough up to me to replace my car.

The only thing that I had on my old car that I had trouble adding was the GTS interior package with the Premium Package. It would cost me 4,440 more to do both. I LOVED the red stitching in the seats and on the dash (I thought it was a beautiful contrast to the red outside with the black accents), the red seatbelts was a nice touch, but for an extra 4,440 it is not worth it. See I am trying to be a wee bit responsible.

On this build I added PTV+ & Cargo Management system (for a low price of 390, its a deal :D). These were the two things I missed in round 1 that I learned about in this group. I also added the sports design package (wasn't offered in 2018), fire extinguisher & for a little jazz the center arm rest with the crest (I threw that in reading another members post).

This build is about 1,000 less than my first build in 2018.

When I cleaned out my car, I replaced the aluminum fuel cap I bought with the original, I bought the colored valve sleeves for my tires, and put the original ones back on and I took the leather case that my colored key came in, so these are things that I won't have to buy again saving me 764 dollars.

I put the black leather interior in this car, but I saw some pictures of a Carmine Red with the Mohave Beige interior and I thought that looked pretty sharp, and the beige would brighten up the car and switch things up a bit. I know that I need to get to the dealer and try to see these colors in person. Don't worry @wspollack I will try to scope out the Mamba Green while I am there but I live in a not huge city so I am not holding my breath my dealer will have one of these guys on the lot.

I do have a wondering for you newer model year folks, is the smartphone compartment with wireless charging worth the cost? Or will my UBS cord do just fine?

I had the Carmine Red dials in my old car and I really couldn't tell it was there, what about adding the dials in white to add a little pop. I know options are options and I bought my first car without getting feedback so I am totally open to any suggestions. I know that I will probably keep the "fluff" that I added just because it worked well and I enjoyed it on the first car. I am in no hurry to get a build in, so I have the time to really think about what I want and need on this car. Like I mentioned I loved my GTS and I am trying to recreate it the best that I can because in my eyes it was freaking beautiful. I haven't even set foot in the dealer to look or try to scope out a discount. I know my local dealer will NOT offer discounts so I will be shopping around. I bought my first one from Champion in FL so they will be one of the first people I will see what they can do for me, and I will go back and revisit the "List your discount" thread to see who else I need to be touching base with. I did PEC delivery in Atlanta so I will be doing it again. Best money I spent for the half day so where I order the car from will not matter.

I just wish the Macan had heads up display. Now that would be great feature to have.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, suggestions and feedback.
Well done Jellybean, so very happy for you, getting to build again from scratch is so exciting.
Your build is perfect and well thought out, it's yours and personal to you, so it should fit perfectly.
I do like the Red dials option, but not on the chrono, just my personal option... lol
Last service I got a mamba green base Macan as a loaner. I was very dubious when I first saw it, but spending all day in it, a couple of people outside the coffee shop made nice comments, other car people did too, I was quite surprized, but this color is definitely one of those you'd have to be happy with, I was happy to get my "Red" back :)
Wheels, I am so very glad I spent extra on the 21" 911 Turbo's, they do make the whole car POP, in a nice way.
Good luck and best wishes. Hope Porsche gets the factory up to speed soon and you get your new toy before Christmas :)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts