Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I found out that my insurance company is totaling my beloved, very babied 2018 GTS after I was rear ended in the middle of May, so now I get a chance to create and build a new GTS and add a couple of things that I missed in my initial build. When I built my first GTS I went crazy like a kid in a candy store with an unlimited amount of cash and put everything but the kitchen sink in it since it was my first Porsche. I of course discovered this group after my build was locked and learned that I should have added a couple things.

Build code: PMGC5KC5

I thankfully have full new car replacement cost on my policy so I was creating my new car knowing that I will have the funds to get everything that I want and had on my old one, and probably a few extra things that I don't need :) I will find out tomorrow what my insurance company is willing to cough up to me to replace my car.

The only thing that I had on my old car that I had trouble adding was the GTS interior package with the Premium Package. It would cost me 4,440 more to do both. I LOVED the red stitching in the seats and on the dash (I thought it was a beautiful contrast to the red outside with the black accents), the red seatbelts was a nice touch, but for an extra 4,440 it is not worth it. See I am trying to be a wee bit responsible.

On this build I added PTV+ & Cargo Management system (for a low price of 390, its a deal :D). These were the two things I missed in round 1 that I learned about in this group. I also added the sports design package (wasn't offered in 2018), fire extinguisher & for a little jazz the center arm rest with the crest (I threw that in reading another members post).

This build is about 1,000 less than my first build in 2018.

When I cleaned out my car, I replaced the aluminum fuel cap I bought with the original, I bought the colored valve sleeves for my tires, and put the original ones back on and I took the leather case that my colored key came in, so these are things that I won't have to buy again saving me 764 dollars.

I put the black leather interior in this car, but I saw some pictures of a Carmine Red with the Mohave Beige interior and I thought that looked pretty sharp, and the beige would brighten up the car and switch things up a bit. I know that I need to get to the dealer and try to see these colors in person. Don't worry @wspollack I will try to scope out the Mamba Green while I am there but I live in a not huge city so I am not holding my breath my dealer will have one of these guys on the lot.

I do have a wondering for you newer model year folks, is the smartphone compartment with wireless charging worth the cost? Or will my UBS cord do just fine?

I had the Carmine Red dials in my old car and I really couldn't tell it was there, what about adding the dials in white to add a little pop. I know options are options and I bought my first car without getting feedback so I am totally open to any suggestions. I know that I will probably keep the "fluff" that I added just because it worked well and I enjoyed it on the first car. I am in no hurry to get a build in, so I have the time to really think about what I want and need on this car. Like I mentioned I loved my GTS and I am trying to recreate it the best that I can because in my eyes it was freaking beautiful. I haven't even set foot in the dealer to look or try to scope out a discount. I know my local dealer will NOT offer discounts so I will be shopping around. I bought my first one from Champion in FL so they will be one of the first people I will see what they can do for me, and I will go back and revisit the "List your discount" thread to see who else I need to be touching base with. I did PEC delivery in Atlanta so I will be doing it again. Best money I spent for the half day so where I order the car from will not matter.

I just wish the Macan had heads up display. Now that would be great feature to have.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, suggestions and feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Very nice build. Glad to hear you're getting replacement value.

If getting the black interior, I'd consider adding red seat belts. If getting the Mojave Beige interior, however, I'd probably opt for Mojave Beige belts.

With either interior, I'd stick with standard black gauges, but get the chronos clock face in red. I think a single red dial centered on the dash adds a nice bit of color and symmetry to the interior look.

Just my two cents. It's all personal preference, of course. Hopefully you can find a car with Mojave Beige to look at first hand.

Wishing you all the best with your build! (y)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
This looks almost identical to the car you lost . I did this with my last Macan where I ordered a nearly identical car with a few additions . It was like a new but slightly upgraded version of my last one . The one before that was a different color and a Turbo and I felt that the switch to the GTS in a different color really made it feel like a different car .

So that brings me to the question which drives me bonkers on the configurator . Have you played around with different colors as well as the Turbo ?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Holy Moly....$102,335 for a GTS? I'd be shopping for a Turbo if I were spending that much coin on a Macan.

As a matter of fact, a comparable optioned Turbo to my pending GTS came out at about $104,000.

Reactions: Jellybean

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Seems reasonable to me. I mean, it's out of my particular price range, but so is starting with a GTS. And if someone IS starting with a GTS, they seem like reasonable add-ons, a reasonable percentage increase (given Porsche's option pricing), and so forth.

I have just two (possibly related) questions:

1) Did you have Burmester before, in the crashmobile? I ask because aside from the Premium Package Plus that's the priciest add-on, and a fair chunk o' change. Me, my ears have long since lost their edge, and I think the Bose is more than adequate. But if you had the top-shelf sound system before, then, yep, I can't see you downgrading.

2) Have you thought about the thermal-and-noise-reducing glass? We have that, and like it. And I often wonder if -- for the real audiophiles here -- it helps to bring out the best of the Burmester, making the cabin a bit more insular.

Good luck, here's hoping you get an early build slot, etc.

PS: That's possibly a good definition of irony, your title being so safe-guarded that you can't get to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This week I found out that my insurance company is totaling my beloved, very babied 2018 GTS after I was rear ended in the middle of May, so now I get a chance to create and build a new GTS and add a couple of things that I missed in my initial build. When I built my first GTS I went crazy like a kid in a candy store with an unlimited amount of cash and put everything but the kitchen sink in it since it was my first Porsche. I of course discovered this group after my build was locked and learned that I should have added a couple things.

I thankfully have full new car replacement cost on my policy so I was creating my new car knowing that I will have the funds to get everything that I want and had on my old one, and probably a few extra things that I don't need :) I will find out tomorrow what my insurance company is willing to cough up to me to replace my car.

The only thing that I had on my old car that I had trouble adding was the GTS interior package with the Premium Package. It would cost me 4,440 more to do both. I LOVED the red stitching in the seats and on the dash (I thought it was a beautiful contrast to the red outside with the black accents), the red seatbelts was a nice touch, but for an extra 4,440 it is not worth it. See I am trying to be a wee bit responsible.

On this build I added PTV+ & Cargo Management system (for a low price of 390, its a deal :D). These were the two things I missed in round 1 that I learned about in this group. I also added the sports design package (wasn't offered in 2018), fire extinguisher & for a little jazz the center arm rest with the crest (I threw that in reading another members post).

This build is about 1,000 less than my first build in 2018.

When I cleaned out my car, I replaced the aluminum fuel cap I bought with the original, I bought the colored valve sleeves for my tires, and put the original ones back on and I took the leather case that my colored key came in, so these are things that I won't have to buy again saving me 764 dollars.

I put the black leather interior in this car, but I saw some pictures of a Carmine Red with the Mohave Beige interior and I thought that looked pretty sharp, and the beige would brighten up the car and switch things up a bit. I know that I need to get to the dealer and try to see these colors in person. Don't worry @wspollack I will try to scope out the Mamba Green while I am there but I live in a not huge city so I am not holding my breath my dealer will have one of these guys on the lot.

I do have a wondering for you newer model year folks, is the smartphone compartment with wireless charging worth the cost? Or will my UBS cord do just fine?

I had the Carmine Red dials in my old car and I really couldn't tell it was there, what about adding the dials in white to add a little pop. I know options are options and I bought my first car without getting feedback so I am totally open to any suggestions. I know that I will probably keep the "fluff" that I added just because it worked well and I enjoyed it on the first car. I am in no hurry to get a build in, so I have the time to really think about what I want and need on this car. Like I mentioned I loved my GTS and I am trying to recreate it the best that I can because in my eyes it was freaking beautiful. I haven't even set foot in the dealer to look or try to scope out a discount. I know my local dealer will NOT offer discounts so I will be shopping around. I bought my first one from Champion in FL so they will be one of the first people I will see what they can do for me, and I will go back and revisit the "List your discount" thread to see who else I need to be touching base with. I did PEC delivery in Atlanta so I will be doing it again. Best money I spent for the half day so where I order the car from will not matter.

I just wish the Macan had heads up display. Now that would be great feature to have.

Hey Jellybean,
Both builds sound like they where amazing. So sorry to hear about your 2018. If you ever want to give your new build any performance upgrades please let us know. Fabspeed offers top of the line exhaust for Porsche Macans and many other exotic cars. Here is a picture of our Macan exhaust and the 2020 sport cat! Contact [email protected] or call to chat at
215-646-4945.

Fabspeed Porsche Macan Slip-On exhaust that helps wake the car up and give it the sports car sound every Porsche needs.
Fabspeed Porsche Macan 2.0L Sport Catalytic Converters (2019+)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hope, your build looks superb, odd the configurator doesn't show the pano roof in the pics. Here are some thoughts:

Will you ever have a need for roof rails? You obviously cannot add after the fact and they would look so good in black, can't remember if your previous GTS had roof rails.

I love the look and concavity of the 21" spyders, have you considered getting the 21' spyders and then getting them powder-coated satin black? There is a member in Europe I believe that did this and it looked incredible.

Interior color is obviously a matter of preference, my FIL in Florida has a Cayenne with beige interior and it keeps the interior cooler and hides sand from the beach - it definitely shows wear much more than black and will be harder to keep clean. I understand the want for a brighter interior, my e92 was space gray exterior and coral red interior and I loved the red. It may be too much for you with Carmine Red but have you considered red interior to brighten things up? Do they offer a black/red two-tone interior? That would be my choice over beige.

Good luck and looking forward to reading about another PEC delivery (y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
@Jellybean that is a fantastic build. Obviously it's a huge bummer that your beloved 2018 GTS is totaled, but full replacement is a nice silver lining :)

If I may, the one small thing I would suggest removing is the factory hitch. I am not a big fan of the rear diffuser that it comes with -- the fins are much less pronounced and take away from the GTS's sporty looks. You can fit a stealth hitch to the GTS diffuser no problem (I have just done this). You get the benefit of a much nicer diffuser, and having the hitch receiver be visible only when towing.

To answer your question re wireless charging/smartphone compartment: I have it in my 2020 GTS, and imho, if you are an iPhone user and like to have CarPlay on the PCM screen it is a no-brainer. I set it up the moment I took delivery (literally with the SA so that if I did hit any issues they'd help to resolve it), saved those settings to the car memory/key and now every time I get and turn the car on, my iPhone auto connects to CarPlay, CarPlay comes up on the PCM screen, and I stash the phone on its charger inside the compartment. Completely seamless.

Some additional notes:
  • The smartphone compartment is a tight squeeze, so if you have a 'Plus' sized phone, especially one with a case, I would verify that it will fit first. My iPhone 11 Pro (the smaller sized one) fits great.
  • The phone while running CarPlay AND charging wirelessly can get pretty hot. Nothing to be alarmed about, but it does mean it charges less efficiently and you'll rarely end up with a 'full battery' when leaving the car (with that said, you won't lose charge either).

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much for your ideas, feedback and even adding options that I missed. :D I will be playing around again with these suggestions and ideas. I will post more build codes once I create them. I love that I have time and I don't have to rush. My local dealer and the 2 dealers that are about 2 hours away don't have any GTS or Turbo's on their showroom floors for me to look at and drive, lots of base and S's. So I wonder when South Carolina will be getting GTS's in.

@SoCalS5 thank you for suggesting the red seatbelts if I go with black, I was talking with my friend who helped me build my first car and went with me to PEC to pick it up he didn't seem thrilled about the Beige interior. My friend is a total car guy. I bet if I could see his face he would have been frowning at me. I love the suggestion for just doing the chrono's clock in red, a great way to add a little color and a way to save a few pennies by not doing the dials.

@Daya I totally agree with the beige showing more wear. My old Q5 had this color inside and by the time I was ready to get rid of it, the seats didn't look to swell and the sad thing is I had the seats protected and taken care of every year. I had the roof rails on the old one, even though I never used them I liked knowing that they were there just in case since you can't add them later.

@yrralis1 and @Masscan I really didn't think about looking at building a Turbo. I guess with how much I am spending I should give it a go and see how crazy I go. I did kind of play around with the Cayenne coupe and didn't get far since it was costing way more than what I will be getting from my insurance company. I really want that heads up display!

@wspollack yes I had the burmester sound system and gosh I miss it! The bang & Olufsen system in the S5 does not do it justice! And I don't consider myself an audiophile. Great point about getting the fancy glass, but wouldn't that cut down on all of the magical sounds this car makes when you drive it. I so miss the sound at cold start up, and when the exhaust talks to you when you accelerate. The S5 has a little of this, but again nothing like the Macan. Oh my title! The guy in the total loss section at Travelers besides asking me daily to release the car has been asking for the title. I told him to google my bank and I told him what branch my safety deposit box is to confirm that the bank is still closed and I can't get to it. I told him for it seems like the 50th time that I have already ordered a new title from the state and I wish I had powers to make them get me the title sooner.

@fooit and @seventh_letter thank you for your thoughts on the smart compartment. I guess I will have to see if my iphone will fit in. But like you mentioned I can use the cord if need be. I really never planned on towing anything with the tow hitch. I added the tow hitch because I had a sea turtle cover from my 2011 Q5 that I wanted to have on this car. The sea turtle tow hitch cover went well with my save the environment sea turtle tag. I was at the collision shop today and I was talking with the nice young man who was helping me and I asked him what would have happened if I didn't have the tow hitch installed and he told me that the damage would have been a ton worst. The tow hitch took the brunt of the impact when I was hit, so even though it messes up the look in the back I will be adding one in the new build. The sad thing is, this is not my first time being rear ended. I was rear ended when I had my Q5 so my poor SUV's have poor luck with being rear ended by Ford F150's and when I have only had them for about 2 years. So looking ahead, I better not in 2 years have to do this again!

As for my beloved, when I was at the collision shop today I have released it to the insurance company to be moved to their storage and I have gotten what they are willing to pay me. 40,000 more than what they initially was willing to give me until I got my agent to point out that I have total new car replacement coverage on my car. They tried to build a 2020 GTS close to what I have so I will have plenty of pennies to build a new one and I am actually getting a wee bit more than what I originally paid for the car.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
They tried to build a 2020 GTS close to what I have so I will have plenty of pennies to build a new one and I am actually getting a wee bit more than what I originally paid for the car.
That is exactly how it went for Alex . In my case I did not have a totaled car . I still didn't want the car . A minor thing I'd keep I have a personal threshold where I know that the car would never be the same if its significant.

Hope you are happy with whatever you end up deciding to get.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is Apple car play included in any of the packages? Its a feature I didn't know anything about but lucked into with my used Turbo. A functional driving option I wish I had was the adaptive cruise control. A nice to have feature would be the sports exhaust.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Is Apple car play included in any of the packages?
For my pending 2020 Macan GTS order, wireless Apple CarPlay was part of Premium Package Plus.

In MY2021, wireless Apple CarPlay is standard equipment in all Macans.....

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Is Porsche still charging a large amount for its annual use?
You're not confusing Apple CarPlay with Porsche Connect, are you? I remember BMW a couple years back doing that with Apple CarPlay.

I've had my 2018 Macan GTS with Apple CarPlay for 2 years now, and I've never paid a subscription charge. My first free year of Porsche Connect on the other hand expired a year ago because I chose not to renew.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You're not confusing Apple CarPlay with Porsche Connect, are you? I remember BMW a couple years back doing that with Apple CarPlay.

I've had my 2018 Macan GTS with Apple CarPlay for 2 years now, and I've never paid a subscription charge. My first free year of Porsche Connect on the other hand expired a year ago because I chose not to renew.
No, I am talking about Apple Car Play. They were going to charge me about $100.00 per year if I did an after install on my '18 S.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
No, I am talking about Apple Car Play. They were going to charge me about $100.00 per year if I did an after install on my '18 S.
Well there you have it. I originally ordered my 2018 GTS with Apple CarPlay, and never had to pay a subscription fee.

And since I chose Premium Package Plus for my 2020 GTS which at the time included wireless Apple CarPlay, I'm assuming I still won't have to pay a subscription fee.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is a subscription fee for Porsche Connect but not Apple car play on my Macan

Reactions: GTO Hero
1 - 20 of 54 Posts