Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me please if this is a noob question that has been answered X times but I did search...

I assumed going in that I would order the GT Sport steering wheel. Coming from BMWs with (fat-rimmed) M steering wheels particularly, my impression was that the Porsche GT Sport wheel was slightly smaller in overall diameter with a slightly thicker rim. But I recollect seeing a comment on macanforum that the rim is in fact skinnier.

On my pandemic-limited visit to the dealership yesterday, I did not sample or see a Macan GT Sport steering wheel to see for myself. Can a veteran Macanista confirm or deny the true situation for me? Thanks in advance!

And let me add how happy I was to find macanforum, which seems to be a friendly and helpful group of members/owners. The Porsche forums I've watched for years seem to be sport car-centric (nothing wrong with that as I have owned a Boxster for years) and Macan content or discussion is pretty limited. I've already gotten quite a few useful bits of info here. :)

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
......my impression was that the Porsche GT Sport wheel was slightly smaller in overall diameter with a slightly thicker rim. But I recollect seeing a comment on macanforum that the rim is in fact skinnier......
Based on post 7 of the following thread, it would appear that Porsche prefers a thinner rim on their GT Sport steering wheels.

Whether the GT steering wheel is thinner than the standard steering wheel, or simply not thicker, I don't know.

Hopefully someone with experience on the Macan can confirm.

GT sport steering wheel on Macan?

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have not read any reviews stating the Macan's GT Sport steering wheel is thinner, only that it's a smaller diameter, 360 mm opposed to the stock 375 mm steering wheel.

From what I have read, in addition to the many who have said they preferred the sportier feel of the smaller diameter GT Sport steering wheel, the option description states the steering wheel rim, gear selector, and gear selector gate all come in leather.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Forgive me please if this is a noob question that has been answered X times but I did search...

I assumed going in that I would order the GT Sport steering wheel. Coming from BMWs with (fat-rimmed) M steering wheels particularly, my impression was that the Porsche GT Sport wheel was slightly smaller in overall diameter with a slightly thicker rim. But I recollect seeing a comment on macanforum that the rim is in fact skinnier.

On my pandemic-limited visit to the dealership yesterday, I did not sample or see a Macan GT Sport steering wheel to see for myself. Can a veteran Macanista confirm or deny the true situation for me? Thanks in advance!

And let me add how happy I was to find macanforum, which seems to be a friendly and helpful group of members/owners. The Porsche forums I've watched for years seem to be sport car-centric (nothing wrong with that as I have owned a Boxster for years) and Macan content or discussion is pretty limited. I've already gotten quite a few useful bits of info here. :)
I have the GT steering wheel, and my previous car was a BMW with M steering wheel. The Porsche GT wheel is definitely not as fat as the M wheel but it looks more sporty.

Reactions: dj9

·
Registered
200 Posts
The critical question though is whether the GT sport wheel (I'll grant you it looks great) has a fatter rim than the standard wheel.
No, I don't think so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks nice. Looking at Macan and this is one option I would probably get. Where is the button for the heat on the steering wheel?

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the six-o'clock spoke, there is a button on the reverse side for the heat.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looks nice. Looking at Macan and this is one option I would probably get. Where is the button for the heat on the steering wheel?
At the bottom behind the center spoke.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
@jacobt thank you for sharing your picture.

Your wheel looks like the wheel I had in my 2018 GTS, but I paid to have Alcantara on mine. Of course my sport and sport plus buttons were not on the wheel like yours. I guess my wondering is if it is worth the extra pennies. The SA I am working with told me that he doesn't/hasn't ordered a GT wheel so he won't have one for me to look at. He told me to save my money and just keep the standard wheel with the heating option. I have time before I lock so I can of course change my mind.

I would love for someone who has had both wheels to weigh in on this.

·
Registered
200 Posts
@jacobt thank you for sharing your picture.

Your wheel looks like the wheel I had in my 2018 GTS, but I paid to have Alcantara on mine. Of course my sport and sport plus buttons were not on the wheel like yours. I guess my wondering is if it is worth the extra pennies. The SA I am working with told me that he doesn't/hasn't ordered a GT wheel so he won't have one for me to look at. He told me to save my money and just keep the standard wheel with the heating option. I have time before I lock so I can of course change my mind.

I think there are only handful of people ordered the GT wheel like me on this site. These are the reasons I got the GT wheel:
1. I always wanted the heated steering wheel, it's only $300 difference between the heated and GT
2. The shining metal upper part of steering wheel will get hot and sometimes reflected under the sun, GT wheel is just black plastic
3. I like the smaller and sportier feeling of GT wheel
4. I special ordered my car so I wanted it to be more unique

Hope this will help you to make your final decisions.

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS (V332)
24 Posts
@Jellybean I take delivery of my Macan GTS tomorrow. I ordered the Heated Multifunction GT Sport Steering Wheel in Alcantara (option 2ZF). So I can provide pics or answer any questions about it soon. I've not previously owned a Macan so I cannot compare it to the stock wheel.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
@Confusion I would love pictures once you get her. So I see a sleepless night in your future! I hope that you have the most amazing time tomorrow picking her up. I just peeked at your build and you built a beautiful Macan. I love the GTS interior package and was very sad that I couldn't get the GTS interior package with the premium package for the 2021's. Yours is the second build I looked at that has the fancy headliner. Now I must go rebuild my build. Can you share why you added the Ionizer, what it does. I'm not sure if I want to add it to my build as well.

I'll look and see if I have a picture of my old wheel in Alcantara so I can compare the two. @Masscan has also added the GT wheel to his build and he did share a pretty good description on how this makes it a little bit different. I do have a feeling I will be adding this to my build.

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS (V332)
24 Posts
Ha, thanks. I don't really know if the ionizer will make a perceptible difference but my family is above average allergic to stuff like pollen (especially cedar here in Austin) so I figured it was worth the marginal cost to add it. If it helps purify the air at all, it's totally worth it for us.

As for steering wheels, I love sporty alcantara covered wheels. I bought the M sport aftermarket one for my M2 and my GT3 came with one. If given the option, I will always choose that style of wheel for cars that I drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts